Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

I had the perfect opportunity and missed...

(1/1)

Lucy:
I just got back from a Christmas party with my dancing group. I'm a junior in highschool, and the majority of the group is in the 60-80 age bracket.  :) I was talking with one of the men there tonight--he was probably in his mid-70s. And wow...just wow.

He went on and on for at least 25 minutes about politics--totally bashing our president, bewailing the National Debt, and coveting the amazing healthcare in other countries. Now, personal opinions aside (I actually agreed with some of his points), it totally was not the time to discuss such a thing. I'd never met him before and did not ask for his opinions on politics. Whatever happened to avoiding politics and religion when making small talk?

We were sitting on a couch surrounded by food. Why didn't I change the subject and ask if he'd tried the artichoke dip?  :-[

What is the correct etiquette for young people when someone elderly is being rude? I always feel like a whippersnapper if I correct an elder. People my own age get no mercy.  >:D

Btw, this guy went on to talk about his personal problems with his neighbor....apparently, this guy's grass needs a little help and he alerted his condo's HOA and they said they'd get to it, then they re-sodded his neighbor's lawn before his. This story was complete with 15-20 photos of aforementioned grass. It was strange. I was thinking, "Who carries around photos of their lawn in their back pocket?" Photos of weddings, cute grandkids, and pets, I understand. But showing some random teenage girl pictures comparing your grass with your neighbors is just slightly odd...

Guess the grass is greener on the other side after all...

Twik:

--- Quote from: Lucy on December 17, 2007, 11:32:22 PM ---Btw, this guy went on to talk about his personal problems with his neighbor....apparently, this guy's grass needs a little help and he alerted his condo's HOA and they said they'd get to it, then they re-sodded his neighbor's lawn before his. This story was complete with 15-20 photos of aforementioned grass. It was strange. I was thinking, "Who carries around photos of their lawn in their back pocket?" Photos of weddings, cute grandkids, and pets, I understand. But showing some random teenage girl pictures comparing your grass with your neighbors is just slightly odd...

Guess the grass is greener on the other side after all...

--- End quote ---

Oh, he showed you his lawn? He was so totally hitting on you....  ;D

I agree, carrying pictures of your lawn in your pocket is just strange.

Lucy:
Yeah, his monologue when on and on....

“Okay, look. This is what the grass looks like in all my neighbors’ yards. It’s green, lovely grass. This is my grass. See how it’s all torn up? It has deteriorated so badly and just looks so terrible. See it here? And here? And here? I told the people that they needed to fix it and they said they’d put some plugs in it. Okay, so look here. This is my neighbor’s grass. It’s really not that bad, is it? Certainly not compared to mine which you can see in this picture! But look! They are laying down brand new sod in his yard! And here, they fixing this person’s grass, too. And this person’s. But mine’s the one that needs it the most! See? I know, it’s unbelievable!”

I was trying not to burst out into laughter. These are the sorts of experiences that thrill me because oftheir potential in retelling.

MineralDiva:
Y'know...I probably would have said something like, "your lawn must be pretty special, if you're carrying pictures of it around like your 'baby'!  Yes indeed...that's some kinda grass you've got there!  How often do you fertilize?"

Those kinds of situations are just waaay too tempting for my acerbic wit.  But then again...I'm a brat.  LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version