Author Topic: Karma Works  (Read 5929 times)

MerryRaven

Karma Works
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:39:54 PM »
I got back from shopping yesterday and I was eager to open the bag with then new purse I bought.  I was surprised to find a box of pantyhose in my size in the bag.  I looked at my reciept and no, I did not buy pantyhose.  So I send my husband back to the store with the perloined nylons.

2 hours later, I went to put my wallet into the new purse and could not find it anywhere.  My husband called the store as that was the last place I remember having it.  It was there.  I had left it at the checkstand. 

We drove over and there it was totally intact with all my ID, money, credit cards and debit card. 

:)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Re: Karma Works
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 09:40:51 PM »
I'm so glad you found it.  Wouldn't it have been wonderful it your husband would have come back with it from dropping off the pantyhose, then it would have been instant karma!

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:14:41 AM »
Wow!  Very good luck!!

My wallet is missing at the moment.  And I can't remember where I had it last :(

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:53:04 PM »
I was leaving the Wal Mart one night with a new backpack and the theft alarm went off. I stood there with the greeter trying to figure out what set it off. He was going to let me go, as we figured there was a tag in the backpack that we weren't seeing but I insisted we find it before I left so he could document it properly and not get in trouble with his job. We opened the backpack and found SIX DVDs someone had stuffed in there to steal. I was floored, I nearly cried at the thought that the greeter would think I took them. He just laughed and said "Honey, I think if you took them you would have left when I gave you the chance, not stood here and showed them to me. Not to mention you just spent about a hundred and thirty bucks in here..." I was mortified, but so glad I didn't get all the way home with those things.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 01:10:35 PM »
I was leaving the Wal Mart one night with a new backpack and the theft alarm went off. I stood there with the greeter trying to figure out what set it off. He was going to let me go, as we figured there was a tag in the backpack that we weren't seeing but I insisted we find it before I left so he could document it properly and not get in trouble with his job. We opened the backpack and found SIX DVDs someone had stuffed in there to steal. I was floored, I nearly cried at the thought that the greeter would think I took them. He just laughed and said "Honey, I think if you took them you would have left when I gave you the chance, not stood here and showed them to me. Not to mention you just spent about a hundred and thirty bucks in here..." I was mortified, but so glad I didn't get all the way home with those things.

Several years ago, I found a purse I liked in a Big Box Store, so I finished my shopping, paid for my items and walked out the door.  I went to walk out the door and the beep beep went off.  We were going through things and it was then I realized I had slung the purse over my shoulder and not put it in the cart (one of those magnetic stickers was inside).  I was so upset, I told her (door lady) "I am SO SORRY, I want to pay for the pusre, it was an accident."  She said the same thing as your security person said..it was an accident, I had bought a lot of stuff and if I really wanted to steal the pusre I would ahve done a better job of hiding it, LOL.

I also had someone fine stuff in some shoes I was going to buy...from then on I always check back packs, purses, shoes or anyting with a pocket to make sure noone has hidden anything in them.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 02:07:31 PM »
You were very lucky.  I'm glad you were able to get your purse back.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 10:06:05 AM »
Merryraven, most likely they were paid for by the previous customer.  If it's one of those that has those nasty bag carousels, it might have been easy to overlook, if all the other items were in other bags.

Once I got a half dozen organic eggs. I didn't even know I had them until Princess Pantene knocked on my bedroom door and asked if she could have "those eggs in a bag on the counter"   (As opposed to the ordinary cheap ones in the refrigerator)

Should I have paid for them?

Returned them?

I just informed her they had been unrefrigerated for 24 hours and let her have them.

RuneGuardian

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 04:10:30 PM »
In the past couple days I've found someone's purse in a restaurant restroom, a portable USB storage drive, and headphones. I handed the purse over to the restaurant staff because I did not know where the police station is where I live, and I turned the USB drive to my school's lost and found (fund it in a computer lab at school). The library is where the lost and found is and when I found the headphones, the library was not open. I plan on bringing the headphones in on Monday and turning them in.

Last night, I stopped into Macy's to look for a gift for my boyfriend. As I stood on the corner, a lady standing behind me pointed to something by my feet and asked if it was mine. It was my wallet. I thanked her for pointing it out to me and I stuck it back in my pocket...only to have it end up on the ground seconds later. The same lady got my attention again about it and I thanked her profusely again. I found out I had somehow dug a hole right through my pocket, which is why my wallet had fallen out. I thank my stars this lady was not only there when she was, but that she was polite enough to let me know I had dropped my wallet. I have everything in there...my only money, my ID, my insurance card and my social security card. I guess karma (or at least good manners among others) does exist.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 04:49:12 PM »
Years ago I lost my wallet in a mall.  I discovered it missing the next morning, and canceled the credit cards, etc. that were in it.  When I got to work, I went to the security office, and someone had turned it in.  I got everything back, including $18 cash.  The only problem was, the security people wanted a photo ID, and the only one I had that hadn't been in the wallet when I lost it was my hospital ID, but they accepted that. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 05:39:26 PM »
my social security card

Bad thing to keep in your wallet.  Get it out of there right now and into a safe or somewhere secure.  You don't just have something with your SSN out there for the world to find (as you found out with the wallet incident).  You were very, VERY lucky you had that angel tell you you dropped it.  You could have had a serious case of identity theft had a nefarious person gotten ahold of that wallet.

kckgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »
The only problem was, the security people wanted a photo ID, and the only one I had that hadn't been in the wallet when I lost it was my hospital ID, but they accepted that. 
Isn't that kind of a dumb requirement? Most people do not have any other photo ID than what is in their wallets. They could have opened it and looked inside to see if the smiling face on the driver's license was yours!
Maryland

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »
The only problem was, the security people wanted a photo ID, and the only one I had that hadn't been in the wallet when I lost it was my hospital ID, but they accepted that. 
Isn't that kind of a dumb requirement? Most people do not have any other photo ID than what is in their wallets. They could have opened it and looked inside to see if the smiling face on the driver's license was yours!

Well, yes.  Most people only have the picture IDs they have in their wallet.  I just happened to have a security badge from my job that I routinely stashed in my purse's zipper pocket so I'd know where it was.  Oh, and the pic on my Oregon driver's license looks like it was taken off a post office wall.   

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 12:26:54 PM »
I was in a coffeeshop the other day and was paying for my stuff when a young woman in back of me pointed to something on the floor by my foot.  it was a $20 bill I had unknowingly dropped.  I picked it up and thanked her.  It would have been so easy for her to just wait a minute for me to leave and then pick it up and keep it.  Bless her. 
She did what I would have done.  I once found some change in a payphone coin return, called the operator, told her I found it in their phone and she told me to depost it, which I did.  DUH!  It probably was returned change from an incomplete call.  My dh never let me forget it.  (That story makes me feel like a cartoon.)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 12:51:48 PM »
I once found some change in a payphone coin return, called the operator, told her I found it in their phone and she told me to depost it, which I did.  DUH!  It probably was returned change from an incomplete call.  My dh never let me forget it.  (That story makes me feel like a cartoon.)

Forget what your husband tells you.  You did the right thing.  Just know that you did what you were supposed to do and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Doing the right thing looks "weird" to those who don't know how to do it.  But, that doesn't make it any less right.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 02:32:33 PM »
Lo these many years ago, when I was just a teenager, I bought a pair of jeans with my very own money.  It was rare that I had money, so I was really proud of this.  They cost $10.59, and I gave the cashier a 10-dollar bill and she gave me 59 cents in change.  Not thinking too fast, I went home (on my bicycle!).  When I realized what happened, I rode my bike all the way back to the store to return the $1.18.  They were so baffled that I even bothered, but pleased.

Yeah, jeans really cost $10 back then.  That's how OLD I am.  Jeans were still relatively new to the non-farming population.