Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

when it just won't work!

(1/1)

LB:
Do you just stop talking? That's all I could think of.
BG: There is some bad history between my grandparents and my cousin and her DH. There is responsibility on both sides, but my grandparents can't seem to let anything go. I have decided not to participate in any discussions about him at all.

So, my DH and I show up for Chrismas eve dinner and we are the first to arrive. First thing Gma says to us is "Cousin's DH isn't coming. Cousin told her mom that he's being an a**, and is refusing to come." So, I said "That's sure some pretty paper on that present, Gma." Gma say's "Yesterday he said he was going to come." I say "Dinner smells great!" She said something else a about him and I just turned and left the room. She didn't even notice because by that time there were other people she could talk to about it. Maybe I was a bit rude, but i may have said something I'd be regretting if I hadn't left the room.

Xallanthia:
I think you dealt with it fine.  I might have said something about not wanting to talk about it, but depending on the person this could backfire.  I mean, on the surface, just walking away is rude.  But in my book, gossiping is ruder and getting in the middle of something like that is probably bad for you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version