News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 16, 2017, 09:36:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Friday the 13th story: One Lost Dog and Two Wonderful People  (Read 1710 times)

scap64

Friday the 13th story: One Lost Dog and Two Wonderful People
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:02:56 PM »
On Friday, October 13, 2006, around 5pm, my daughter found a *very* senior lost dog in our neighborhood. Hardly walking, cataracts on both eyes, and the emergency vet also said she's deaf.

A very unfortunate timing, to say the least.

All the local vet offices just closed down for the weekend (otherwise we'd take her around to see if any vet recognizes their patient. That's how my previous foundling got reunited with her family).

So are the local shelters, until at least the next morning. It's Friday night- need I say more?

So are the shelters/animal control services in the county which issued her license tag. And their police dispatch accepting 24/7 calls has no access to the dog license database.

Even if they were open, I don't currently have a car to drive her around, and she has difficulty walking due to her age.

Local shelters are closed for visitors on Sunday & Monday, but those days still toll her 72-hr holding time.

She isn't microchipped. She does have tags on her...from a different county. Her personal tag is so old that part of the owner's name isn't readable, and none of the engraved phone numbers are any longer in service.

Our own furbaby is very territorial and does not tolerate other pets in the house.

At that time, I was working two jobs. And I had to leave town the next Wednesday morning for the rest of the week.

Our local newspaper accepts free "found dog" ads, but it won't run until Tuesday (by then, she would run out of her 72-hr shelter holding time).

My daughter lived in a no-pets apartment and could not take her in even temporarily.

Local rescues unanimously suggest taking her to the nearest AC shelter. Someone even mentioned an overnight drop box...

We tried to make a flyer with her photo...and the pic wouldn't download.

And when we decided to go ahead and post flyers without photo...it starts raining cats and dogs, no pun intended. For the entire night.

She had so many odds stacked against her on this Friday the 13th ...

And to make this long story short:

Around 9 am Saturday the 14th morning, this 15-year old furbaby was HAPPILY REUNITED WITH HER FAMILY. With the one and only family she's known her entire life. With her owner who had her since his teens, and his young child who has known this dog since birth.

I wish ya'll could've been here when they came rushing to pick her up...

Rest assured that they got some verbal spanking for not updating her tags, and promised to do so immediately.

This happy reunion became possible thanks to two wonderful, highly professional and compassionate people:

1. A nice lady dispatcher from Bakersfield Sheriff's Department who answered my call to her emergency line in the wee hours and kindly agreed to page their on-call Animal Control Officer, rather than tell me again to "take the dog to the nearest pound".

2. Officer Thompson from Kern County Animal Control (Bakersfield CA). She located the owners (who apparently moved out of the county) in no time, on early Saturday morning, way before their business hours.

If not for them, this 15-y/o deaf and vision-impaired furbaby may’ve ended up drawing her last breath in a pound, scared and alone.

Thank goodness, the Bakersfield Sheriff's dispatcher and Officer Thompson, it didn't happen.

This happy ending really made my day and the entire weekend.

Hope it makes yours as well.

seren

Re: Friday the 13th story: One Lost Dog and Two Wonderful People
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 07:05:57 PM »
G-d bless you.

Seren

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:14:19 AM »
Bakersfield, CA...you're about an hour south of me.

I've very glad to hear that this furbaby was reunited with her family. Kudos to you all for your kindess to the old girl.

Sara

maus

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 04:05:05 AM »
Was Officer Thompson's initials B.J. by chance?

I love hearing stories about good pet/owner reunions, makes me feel fuzzy inside.

scap64

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:58:31 AM »
Bakersfield, CA...you're about an hour south of me.

I've very glad to hear that this furbaby was reunited with her family. Kudos to you all for your kindess to the old girl.

Sara

I am about 2 hours south of you. We live in San Diego County. The dog was originally from Bakersfield. Her family obviously moved down here, but her tags weren't updated.

scap64

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 01:02:36 AM »
Was Officer Thompson's initials B.J. by chance?

I love hearing stories about good pet/owner reunions, makes me feel fuzzy inside.

Sorry, I don't know her initials. I do have contact information (mailing address and phone #) for her workplace- Bakersfield Animal Control Dept. When the dog's owner arrived, I handed this info to him and asked him to consider writing a thank-you letter to Officer Thompson and/or her supervisors. IMO, it's a useful thing to have in one's Personnel file - and fully deserved in this case.

If you enjoy such stories, I have a fresh one for you - last month my daughter and her boyfriend found a pair of Labradors who literally jumped into their car on a rainy night. We kept them for a week, then had to take them to the shelter, placed "finder's hold" on them, and alerted several local rescues working with the shelter.

Both dogs were claimed by their owner the following day. We didn't get to see the reunion or the owner in person, but we were informed that one of the dogs went home right away, and the other one got neutered and joined her the next day. 

Our family's prior history of warm fuzzies includes (but isn't limited to) an FIV+ cat who happily moved to Florida with his new dad and sis, an abandoned puppy nursed by my workplace resident dog and later adopted by a coworker, and last but not least, a small but very smart mutt who brought DH and me together and lived with us for 9 years. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:20:49 AM by scap64 »