News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 21, 2017, 10:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More Dog Tales (Tails?)  (Read 1640 times)

JoieGirl7

More Dog Tales (Tails?)
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:39:53 PM »
Tonight we went over to my parents' house about 10 minutes away and as we got out of the car a stray dog came over to us.  We had our dog with us so that was part of the attraction.

The stray is a chow mix with a rabies shot tag and an ID with the name of an out of state vet and a phone number that has been disconnected.

I checked the neighborhood online forum and someone else had found the dog earlier but she got out of his yard.

We called the police but animal control is not on call and their policy is that we can keep her until they are open or just let her go.

Well, we can't just let her go!  It's cold and raining here, so we brought her home.

It's a little risky but it seems to be going OK so far.  She is getting along with our dog who wants her to play.  But, our dog is a beagle and a little smaller.  I don't have a crate to put her in, so I guess I am just going to have to babysit them most of the night.

I'll let you know what happens.  I can't wait to find out where the owner is; how close they probably were but no way for us to know.

Lot of dog frolick going on in my living room tonight.

scap64

Re: More Dog Tales (Tails?)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »
Tonight we went over to my parents' house about 10 minutes away and as we got out of the car a stray dog came over to us.  We had our dog with us so that was part of the attraction.

The stray is a chow mix with a rabies shot tag and an ID with the name of an out of state vet and a phone number that has been disconnected.

I checked the neighborhood online forum and someone else had found the dog earlier but she got out of his yard.

We called the police but animal control is not on call and their policy is that we can keep her until they are open or just let her go.

Well, we can't just let her go!  It's cold and raining here, so we brought her home.

It's a little risky but it seems to be going OK so far.  She is getting along with our dog who wants her to play.  But, our dog is a beagle and a little smaller.  I don't have a crate to put her in, so I guess I am just going to have to babysit them most of the night.

I'll let you know what happens.  I can't wait to find out where the owner is; how close they probably were but no way for us to know.

Lot of dog frolick going on in my living room tonight.

Bless your heart for taking this dog in.

Here are some things you can do:

Take the dog to the nearest vet to scan for the microchip.

Google the vet's name (new address/phone # is likely to come up along with his name) or check for his current address through the State Veterinary Board website.

Contact the animal control facility that issued the rabies tag. They would have the owners' name in their database.

Google and contact the Police/Sheriff's department at the area where the former phone # is listed. I did that when we found a dog with out-of-county tags. The Sheriff's emergency dispatch contacted their on-call Animal Control Officer, who in turn located the owner's name in their database (the owners since moved to our county, but did not update the dog's tags) and traced their new contact info - around 6 a.m. on  Saturday morning.

Contact the shelters in the vicinity of the ZIP code listed on the dog's tag - they may have records of someone searching for this lost dog or who adopted it in the past. (those shelters and rescues can be located through Petfinder website)

Place free "FOUND" ads in your local newspaper and on Craigslist.com (do not give detailed description of the dog - have the owners call you with details, to make sure you don't release her to someone ill-intentioned).

Call the vets and groomers in the vicinity and describe the dog - someone might recognize their current patient.

Call the local shelters, leave the dog's description (or better yet, email them her picture) and ask if someone is searching for this dog.

If all the efforts fail, and you choose not to keep the dog, contact the nearest Chow rescue. However, they may not be willing to take the dog from you, as you are not the legal owner. They are likely to suggest that you take the dog to the nearest Animal Control shelter. If you really worry about this dog's fate, you can place "finder's hold", so if the dog is not claimed or adopted, you can have her. You can also ask the rescue reps to keep an eye on her if and while she is at the shelter. If, when and after the dog is released to you by the shelter, then you can lawfully surrender it to the rescue - or the rescue may pull her from there.

We just went over and through this procedure 3 weeks ago, when my daughter again found a lost dog, and more than one - two sweet Labrador mixes running loose together. We kept them for a week while searching for their owners, then had no choice but to take them to the AC with a finder's hold (they were too large for our condo, too strong on leash, we had no yard for them to exercise, and our very territorial dog didn't get along with them).

Luckily, their owners turned up the next day, and this story has a happy ending.

Good luck.

Edited to add more suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:25:10 PM by scap64 »

JoieGirl7

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:51:10 PM »
Thanks!
I am concerned that my husband wants to call animal control and have them pick up the dog in the morning.

This dog has given me no reason to want her gone from my house.  I have fostered dogs before and none have been as nice as this dog--she is such a sweetie!

I posted an ad on Craigslist leaving out some info.  We are going to call the animal hospital listed on the vet tag.

I didn't know about the finder's hold.  I will definitely do that if hubby insists on her going to the shelter.

She is such a sweet dog, I can't imagine that her owner is not looking for her.

So, everyone, let's have some prayers and good wishes for this sweet girl that her story will have a happy ending tomorrow morning!

JoieGirl7

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:30:31 AM »
Happy Ending!

By calling the vet we were able to get a cell phone number for the owners of "Anna Banana."

They were living in an apartment complex adjacent to the neighborhood where we found her.

She was very well-behaved last night.  My beagle is now sad that he is alone again.

The minute her owner walked in the front door, she went absolutely nuts!

Thank-you for everyone who sent good wishes our way.  It turned out just great!

Veronica

• the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »
Yay!  I'm so happy it worked out!

Florida

scap64

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 09:47:24 AM »
Thank you for the happy update, and bless your heart for  helping out Anna Banana :)