Author Topic: Airport No  (Read 17803 times)

talvikki

Re: Airport No
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

With all the rules it's a little hard to tell the ridiculous from the sensible. (The liquid ban is completely bonkers). But not taking responsibility for someone else's bag is a sensible one.

This actually reminds me of a pretty weird incident I had at the airport the last time I was flying from Helsinki to Amsterdam. My BF's friend had asked me to bring him a few Colt lighter, because apparently you can't find them in Amsterdam and they are superior to all other lighter (I wouldn't know, I don't smoke so I don't use the things). So I said sure. I didn't have time to get them before checking in my bags (the line was so long, I thought it best to get that over with first), so after dropping my bags, but before security check, I went to buy 3 lighters at a magazine stand. I go to security check and am informed that only one lighter is allowed on flights. Ok, fine, although if the problem with lighters is the lighter fluid, I would think the problem would be bringing lighters on flights at all, not whether I bring one or three of them. And you'd also think that if they had a problem with people bringing lighters on flights, they wouldn't sell them in shops after security check, since after being checked, I just walked to a magazine stand right next to security station and bought another lighter. Of course, it might just be that they had taken this into consideration and in reality you're allowed to take two lighters onto flights, not just one... .but still, the whole principle of the thing just seems weird to me. If you're allowed to bring lighter's onto flights, why only such ridiculously small amounts of drinking water are allowed?

Also, another funny story about security checks... This was years ago. I was traveling with my parents to go... somewhere, I can't remember just where right now. Anyway, it wasn't a domestic flight. My dad has digestive issues, so he had with him over-the-counter medication for it in a big jar with no markings. This medication was in powder form. Because my mom gets a lot of cash in her job (she owns stalls at a farmer's market), and she used to accept US dollars, we'd always use them on trips abroad to exchange into local currency. So in our bags there were also several wads of dollars. Do you see where I'm getting at? We go to security check and what do you know... for some strange reason the security people think it's highly suspicious of anyone to be carrying piles of cash and a big jar of something powdery in their bags! :P So they take my dad, and eventually my mom into that ominous checking room and interview them and check their stuff for about a quarter of an hour. It all ended fine and we were allowed to take the medication and money with us on the flight, but I bet the security people had a good laugh afterwards. I know my parents did!

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
I have to confess to watching a stranger's bag, and asking my bag to be watched. But I can explain!

There was a huge snowstorm the day before, when people where trying to get home after New Year's. It was a madhouse, flights canceled, the airport was crowded and tempers short. After a mix-up with my original AND rescheduled flight that day (long story, but I got a voucher from the airline for their screw-up), I was scheduled on the first flight for the next day. Yay, I got to spend the night in the airport. :P

So those of us on that flight started lining up at the gate over two hours before. It was so early the coffee shop wasn't even open yet. The flight was delayed some more: a flight attendant was late. Naturally, after standing in line for a while, someone would have to answer the call of nature.

By mutual agreement, the person leaving wouldn't lose his place in line. He/she would ask his/her neighbor to watch his/her bag(s) while off to the restrooms. Said bags would mark that person's spot, and everyone near that bag kept an eye on it, not just the person asked.

Finally I couldn't wait any longer, I had to go! So I asked a person in line with me to watch my bag and I went to the ladies' room. Before I got there, I saw a flight attendant coming the other way. So I asked her if she was going to X City, and she said yes! Forgetting my needs (heck, I could use the lav on the plane!), I ran back to the gate and announced to the line that our flight attendant was here! Much happiness ensued. ;D

This was before 9/11. I doubt anything like that would happen again.

ETA that was the ONLY time I watched a stranger's bag and asked a stranger to watch my bag.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:58:24 PM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »
I travel frequently by myself and often ask strangers to watch my bag.  Usually it's when I've been settled at the gate for a while and I have to go to the bathroom.  No one has ever turned me down, and I would be slightly surprised if someone said no.  I often watch other people's bags if requested to as well.  No one has ever not shown back up, but if for some reason they didn't come back and I had to board, I would just let the gate agent know. 

I travel alone quite often and would never dream of asking someone to watch my bags, nor would I watch them for someone else.  I can't imagine entrusting my belongings to a stranger. 

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2008, 05:01:53 PM »
Yes it would. See my post above (reply #56).  I think it was (relatively) safe to watch the luggage of the guy behind me in line since we all were getting on the same plane eventually.  Just as in your case, when nature calls, you can't always take a message and get back to her later.  Sometimes it's an urgent call.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:03:26 PM by Midnight Kitty »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2008, 05:06:06 PM »
Yes it would. See my post above (reply #56).  I think it was (relatively) safe to watch the luggage of the guy behind me in line since we all were getting on the same plane eventually.  Just as in your case, when nature calls, you can't always take a message and get back to her later.  Sometimes it's an urgent call.
Ah, sorry. My mistake.  :-[
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »
Ah, sorry. My mistake.  :-[
Not a problem.  Please don't ask me to remember all the posts :-*
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

susang

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
I think if I had to go to the bathroom, I'd take my bags and ask the people around me to hold my spot.

Pre-9/11, someone asked SkiGuy and me to watch their cart of luggage, and we said, "No, we can't do that." They got quite snitty, and we said, "We're sorry, but we're not going to take responsibility for your stuff." Lots of glaring ensued.

Crafty Hubby

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »
As a former TSA agent myself, I can honestly say I am quite shocked that people will ask or accept someone else watching their bags or watching someone else's.    My personal first response would be, "Um, SECURITY!!"

And as for the liquids ban being misunderstood, I would like to point out (as a former military man) that four ounces each of two certain liquids is enough to blow the fuselage of a 747 completely in two.  These two liquids (which I will NOT disclose what they are) are readily available at your local Ace Hardware or B&Q.  Combine them together and you have a ready made explosive that is quite unstable.

bionelly

« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2008, 02:29:51 AM »
When I travel alone, I ask people if they'll watch my bags while I run to the restroom or grab food.  I ask if they'd like me to bring something back for them.  I usually sit at the gate observing people for a while before I ask.  I'll ask a mother with a child, or an older couple.  No one has ever declined, and I'm never gone more than 5 minutes.  I've had several recent international flights with 3+ hour layovers.  By the time I have my coat, purse, laptop bag, and duffle bag without wheels, it's too much to drag into the restroom with me.

Just because somebody "looks" trustworthy, it doesn't mean they are.  When my HS Spanish teacher was coming home from Mexico, she had to deal with some slight hassle from customs.  She was a 40ish white woman with a young child and pretty much the most innocent-looking face you can imagine.  After she was cleared, they told her people who don't look threatening in any way are sometimes specifically sought after to smuggle drugs and such, because they are less likely to be perceived as suspicious by security.