Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

Is this what I should say? Or just ignore it?

(1/2) > >>

ShadesOfGrey:
So I recently received an email from a life-long friend (read: I will not tell him to Stuff It) who genuinely believes that a recent decision of mine has put my scruples in danger.  While I honestly believe that he means well, he also has a tendency towards thinking that his interpretation of morality is the only interpretation - just a hint mind you, he's not over-the-top, just strongly believes how he believes. 

His email went something to the effect of "We've always been honest with each other, so I want to ask you what's up with that? Call me if you need to talk or anything." after responding to some questions/comments in my original email. 

Now, I realize that it's none of his business, but I do believe he has genuine concern for me in his inquiry.  How do I repsond? I was thinking something along the lines of "Thanks for your concern, but I've got it under control." or do I simply not respond to that part of the email? Arrgh.  This is tough. 

goblue2539:
Since you value his friendship still, I'd go with the first answer.  "Thank you for caring, I appreciate your concern".  Don't promise anything and don't mention that you are polar opposites on this issue unless he continues pressing.  At which point I think it would be fair to tell him that you will have to disagree on this and that you hope not to lose his friendship. 

Good luck.  It's a lot easier to deal with nosy people when you don't care about the relationship than when you do. 

Mr. Fed:
"You really shouldn't worry.  I think this won't have any impact on my scruples at all.  At least compared to what I've been doing with our pre-operative transgendered copier repairman in the supply closet during lunch with a toilet plunger and a recently-expired tub of sour cream."

wheeitsme:

--- Quote from: Mr. Fed on January 08, 2008, 06:43:33 PM ---"You really shouldn't worry.  I think this won't have any impact on my scruples at all.  At least compared to what I've been doing with our pre-operative transgendered copier repairman in the supply closet during lunch with a toilet plunger and a recently-expired tub of sour cream."

--- End quote ---

ew.

and I'll say it again.  ewwww.

Sneezy:
Mr. Fed, now that I've read that, I am afraid I am going to use it on my next family visit.  :P

Some people push up the intensity if they feel ignored.  Still, I'd ignore it unless my friend were one of those people.  Otherwise, a 'Thank you for your concern, have you tried the bean dip?' would suffice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version