Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

Venty, ranty, blow off the steam posts

<< < (2/19) > >>

Sefie:

--- Quote from: Lil Bunny ---Is there a way to make a "vent" board open to people over a certain number of posts?  That way you know they are vested in the board and the members but still have a place where they know they can get an honest opinion/support from other members?
--- End quote ---

I really like this idea - I've seen it work on another forum where members can only access the marketplace after making x amount of posts.  Could there also be a sticky in the I Need A Hug! sub-forum listing free blogs/journals that people can sign up for (eg: LiveJournal, Wordpress, etc).  EHellions can then post links to their individual journals, and people can choose to add or follow them as they like.

Brentwood:

--- Quote from: Lil Bunny on January 21, 2008, 11:32:38 PM ---

Is there a way to make a "vent" board open to people over a certain number of posts?  That way you know they are vested in the board and the members but still have a place where they know they can get an honest opinion/support from other members? 

--- End quote ---

I would be wary of automatically assuming that everyone over a certain number of posts is "vested" in the board. On one other forum in particular that I have posted on, I have seen trolls sign on, deliberately rack up a large number of posts and a reputation (one of them even going so far as to apply for - and get - a moderatorship), only to come out later as a troll. Attacking from the "inside", as it were.

Most people are not like that, of course. But as Ehelldame once wisely said - post number alone is not a good indicator of credibility.

I think a "vent" board or folder goes completely against the atmosphere TPTB try to foster here.

DottyG:

--- Quote from: CathyF on January 22, 2008, 03:03:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: Lil Bunny on January 21, 2008, 11:32:38 PM ---

Is there a way to make a "vent" board open to people over a certain number of posts?  That way you know they are vested in the board and the members but still have a place where they know they can get an honest opinion/support from other members? 

--- End quote ---

I would be wary of automatically assuming that everyone over a certain number of posts is "vested" in the board. On one other forum in particular that I have posted on, I have seen trolls sign on, deliberately rack up a large number of posts and a reputation (one of them even going so far as to apply for - and get - a moderatorship), only to come out later as a troll. Attacking from the "inside", as it were.

Most people are not like that, of course. But as Ehelldame once wisely said - post number alone is not a good indicator of credibility.

I think a "vent" board or folder goes completely against the atmosphere TPTB try to foster here.

--- End quote ---

I have to agree with CathyF on this one.  A venty forum really isn't what the place is about.  And, I think it would be detrimental to what we have here.

Scritzy:
Add me to that agreement. We all need to blow off steam once in a while, but I don't think a venting/ranting folder is a good idea.

DottyG:
Although, I would like to vent about that Scritzy person that's on here occasionally.  Can we all have a place to talk about her behind her back?  Because there's a lot I'd like to get off my chest about her.

;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version