1/4 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Dash of crushed red pepper
4 quarts water, divided
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges

Directions
Brown the ground beef in a large stock pot. Drain fat and return to pot. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef bouillon cubes, carrots, celery, onion, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour in 2 quarts of water, and bring to a boil. Once the soup comes to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes over low heat.

Pour in another two quart of water, and return to a slow boil. Add garlic and cabbage. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until cabbage is tender. Ladle into soup bowls to serve.

Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini

Ingredients
1 pound sweet or hot (your choice) Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red wine
4 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 cups celery, chopped
1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
8 ounces tortellini pasta (we like tri-color)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions
In a 5 quart Dutch oven, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.

Saute onions and garlic in drippings. Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Skim fat from the soup. Stir in parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.

Add tortellini during the last 20 minutes. Server when tortelleni is cooked.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.

Makes 8 servings.

Crab Stew

Ingredients
2 pints half and half
2 sticks real butter
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cans cream of celery soup
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 pound crab meat

Directions
Heat all together on LOW heat until hot, then add crab meat.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:37:37 AM by SkylerY »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Soups
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »
16 Bean Soup (makes 1 gallon)

6 lengths celery
6 large carrots
1 large onion
10 cloves garlic
8 bay leaves
4 tbsp dried parsley (or equivalent fresh)
3 tbsp crushed rosemary
2 Knorr ham bouillon cubes
4 Knorr Onion Minicubes
1 lb kielbasa, sliced thinly
1 1-lb bag Goya 16 Bean Soup dried beans
freshly ground pepper

Clean and dice all vegetables and place with meat and dry ingredients in large pot.  Add enough water to cover plus 3 cups.  Cook on medium heat until boiling, reduce to low heat, and cook 2 hours.  Serve with crusty bread.  Stir every 10-15 minutes to avoid scorching.

Edited to add:  If you prefer Split Pea or Lentil, substitute the equivalent weight of those ingredients for the 16 Bean Mix.  For Split Pea I recommend half green and half yellow.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:19:44 PM by Venus193 »

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 08:00:38 AM »
German Soups

The basis for almost all German soups is “Suppengrün” which consists of: 1 medium onion, ¼- ½ a root of celeriac(celery root), 2 medium carrots, 2 small or one large leek, and a small bunch of parsley. Cut into 1/2" dice or slices.

Kartoffelsuppe: add lots of potatoes  (cut into halves or quarters) Cook everything in your choice of stock until soft, then drain and reserve stock. Put vegetables through a ricer, or mash until very smooth. Add back stock to desired consistency and reheat. If wanted, put sliced frankfurters into the soup whilst re-heating. Serve with fried onion garnish or with black pepper and a nicely flavoured vinegar to taste.

Linsensuppe: add about 8oz green lentils, 2 tblsp tomato paste and two medium sized diced potatoes. Cook all in stock until soft then mash a little. Reheat, adding frankfurters at this stage.

Rindersuppe: add a fairly large piece of beef (such as brisket) and simmer for several hours in beef stock. Add some pasta about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
NE England

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »
I made up this soup from memory. My mother used to make a soup like it when I was little, except it was vegitarian, this one is not, but COULD be if one chooses.

Smokey Cheese Potato Chowder

8 medium potatoes, peeled, cut in dice

4 slices bacon, cut in small pieces

1/2 medium onion, diced

1 lb smoked sausage (I prefer Eckerage Skinless, but use whatever brand you prefer)

Water for cooking

1 cup milk

1/2 COLD water

3 Tbsp flour

1 1b Velveeta cheese (I use the Shredds, but if you can't find it, just cut the loaf in cubes)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) I large dutch oven, brown bacon pieces until crispy. Drain on paper towel, set aside. Drain all but 1 tbsp grease off.

2) Add onions to pot, cook for about 3-4 min. Don't get them too brown.

3) add potatoes and sausage. cover with water.

4) Cook until potatoes are done, about 20-30 minutes.

5) Add milk. Combine water and flour, stir until smooth. Add flour mixture to soup. Stir well.

6) Add Velveeta. Stir until cheese it melted and smooth.

7) serve in bowls topped with bacon bits.

This is a really good soup on a cold day. It can stand on it's own or pair it with bread and salad. My DH and kids all love it. I rarely have leftovers.

Ginger

PS Do NOT try to substitue cheddar cheese for the Velveeta. I tried that once and the it curdled in the soup. If you don't want the soup cheesey, omit the Velveeta, but you can have shredded cheese to the side for topping.
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »
5-Can Bean Soup

I got this off the Hillbilly Housewise website, and have made several variations of it.  The original version is vegetarian, and it's very good and very cheap.  It can also be made either on the stove or in a crockpot, although I've never made it on the stove.

1 15-oz can each of:
chickpeas
kidney beans
white beans
green beans (string)
tomatoes (diced or stewed)

2 tbsp dry onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp basil
salt and black pepper to taste.

Optional:  Parmeson to sprinkle on top.

Stovetop:  Open all the cans, and toss them, juice and all, into a large pot.  Stir in the seasonings.  Heat over medium heat until the mixture simmers, about 20 minutes, and serve.  Makes about 6 large servings.

Crockpot:  Open all the cans and toss them, juice and all, into a crockpot.  (I'm not sure how large mine is, but it's not one of the smaller ones.)  Stir in the seasonings.  Heat on high until it bubbles, and then turn it to low.  It'll simmer for hours until you're ready to eat.  Makes about six large servings.

Variations:
(1)  Since we don't care for chickpeas, I use another type of bean like chili beans or pinto beans or black beans.  They all work well.  Just add them to the mixture the same as the other beans.

(2)  Due to being out of some types of beans in the past I've made this with black beans, white beans, kidney beans, chili beans, pinto beans, black-eyed peas, or even pork and beans.  As long as there are three or four types of beans, this still tastes good.

(3)  I've made this soup with regular canned tomatoes, regular stewed tomatoes, Italian stewed tomatoes, and Mexican stewed tomatoes with green chili peppers.  It's best with the Mexican tomatoes, with the Italian tomatoes a close second.  This could also be made with fresh tomatoes.  Just be sure to add more seasoning if you use regular or fresh tomatoes. 

(4)  This is also very good cooked with smoked sausage or kielbasa.  I've made it this way both with and without the string beans, and it's better without the string beans if you make it with the sausage or kielbasis. 

(5)  This freezes very well.  I've put frozen soup from different batches together, and it always comes out good.  I've also accidentally added frozen home-made spaghetti sauce, and that's also very good.  With the spaghetti sauce this soup came out very much like Minestrone soup.   

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:35 AM »
I'm envisioning a very soup-y winter for my family, with lots of new recipes.  These look great!

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »
I'm envisioning a very soup-y winter for my family, with lots of new recipes.  These look great!

I don't even LIKE soup that much (more of a stew girl) but these all sound so good that my mouth is watering....very strange to be craving soup at 9 in the morning!

tmmkitten

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 09:36:49 PM »
potato ham soup

1 ham steak, cubbed
1 onion cut up

combine and saute soup pan until the onions are slightly transparent.

add 3-4 potatos cubbed and enough water to conver + 2 extra inches.

cook until potatos are very tender, then add

2 cans of green beans
1/2- 1 cup cider vinegar

let cook for 10 more minutes, then salt and pepper  to taste. serve with bread.

this sounds different, but anyone i have made it for requests the recipe, and it is easy and very in expensive to make. the vinegar adds such a tangy brothy flavor, and it is low fat because there isn't any cream or butter involved.

corn chowder soup

1 pack of bacon cubbed
1 onion cubbed

saute in a soup pan until bacon is cooked and onions are tender. strain off most of the fat but not all that the bacon released.

add:
1 can mushroom soup
3 cups cream
2 cup milk
3 potatos cubbed
2 tablsp course ground pepper
1 tablsp. kosher salt, or regular if you don't have kosher.

mix and cook until the potatos are tender, stiring often so that nothing sticks or burns on the bottom of the pan.

add:
1 small bag of frozen corn

cook another 5 minutes, and serve with fresh bread.

this is a really easy recipe, but isn't for those who are on a diet. it is great for dinner on a cold winter night, and my husband always rejoyces when i make it.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »
Hungarian Mushroom Soup     
Prep Time: 15 Minutes        Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Ready In: 50 Minutes         Yields: 6 servings
"This creamy mushroom soup is seasoned generously with dill, paprika, parsley, and lemon juice.
Sour cream is added at the end of cooking, making the soup very rich and filling."

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms,
sliced
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 cups chicken broth

1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup sour cream

1.  Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
2.  In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.  Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately.

Note: this one came from allrecipes.com, but it's exactly like the one I love so much.
I also made this using a variety of mushrooms acquired at a farmer's market. It's well
worth the effort to look for a variety like that.  Delicious!

extranormal

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »
Lemony Chicken and Rice Soup

This has become known in my circles as Sicky Soup, as it is often tolerable to people who aren't able to eat anything else. That isn't an especially flattering title, but it is quite good, very simple, and not just for sicky times.

Find a saucepan. Simmer 6 tablespoons of uncooked rice in 2 cans of low-fat chicken broth (while I'm usually an advocate of homemade stock, canned broth works best in this recipe) for about 20 minutes, or until the rice is soft.

Break an egg or two into a small bowl and stir it around. Take a ladleful of the hot broth and slowly pour it into the egg, whisking like a madman the whole time. Then pour the tempered egg, slowly, back into the simmering broth. Again, keep whisking until the egg is blended.

Add the juice of one lemon (two, if they're small).

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 11:24:30 AM »
Chicken Pot Pie Soup

2 cups cooked chicken (preferably cubed, but can be shredded, chunked, etc)
Approx 16 oz of vegetables (I did celery, onion, carrots and potatoes, but you could also add corn, peas, etc.)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups skim milk

1. Lightly saute veggies with some oil until they are almost cooked, but not quite.
2. Add chicken and veggies to stock pot with cream of chicken soup.  Turn oven to about med/med high
3. Add skim milk.
4. Cook for about 20-30 mins or until potatoes and carrots are done.
5. Serve.  Very good with biscuits or bread.

The recipe I altered says this makes 4 servings, but we got more like 6 good sized servings out of it. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Quick and Easy Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »
There are two schools of thoughts to this simple but delicious soup.  There is the purist foodie crowd that will cherish the first recipe.  Then there is the second crowd that loves the soup at the restaurant, thick and creamy.  They will love the second recipe.  Both to me are delicious.

First:  Foodie Purist Version

1 lg onion, diced (1 cup worth)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 carrots, diced (1 cup worth)
2 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of olive oil or whatever you like
4 tbsp of flour
2 cups of broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces

A box of chicken stock, or homemade equalling 32 oz
A cup of heavy cream
Salt/Pepper to taste
1 cup of good shredded cheddar cheese tossed with a tbsp of flour, I use an Irish white cheddar

Saute onion, garlic and carrots in the butter/oil for 5 minutes.  Add flour and stir with wooden spoon.  Cook for another 5 minutes, add broccoli and stock.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  When boiling, cover and let it simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.  When veggies are soft, raise heat a bit to add cream.  Salt and pepper to taste.  When slight bubbles come up, turn off heat.  Then with a wooden spoon, add cheese little by little, stirring after each addition.

Serve up with some crusty bread.

Thick and Creamy version 
1 lg onion, diced (1 cup worth)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 carrots, diced (1 cup worth)
1 tbsp of butter
1 tbsp of olive oil or whatever you like

2 cups of broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
A box of chicken stock, or homemade equalling 32 oz
Can of cream of broccoli soup
Can of evaporated milk
1/4 OR 1/2 cup of cornstarch
Salt/Pepper to taste
1 cup of cubed Velveeta cheese (a small pkg or half of large pkg)
1/2 cup of a sharp cheese, like Gruyere or asiago

Saute onion, garlic and carrots for 5 minutes in the butter and oil.  Add broccoli, stock and canned soup.  Bring to a boil and cover for 20 minutes letting it simmer over medium heat.  While this is cooking, open can of evaporated milk, pour into a small bowl and add corn starch.  Stir well.

When veggies are soft in soup,  turn up heat till it starts to boil.  Add milk with corn starch.  Stir well, add cheese and salt and pepper to taste. (You won't need much)

Serve.

Hints:  Using 1/2 cup of corn starch, it will be very thick like pudding.  If you like thick but just creamy, use the 1/4 cup.  I only add the canned soup because it gives it that base note that is very similar to restaurants.  I use a sharp cheese to offest the blandness of the Velveeta.  DH loves this version!

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 04:36:17 PM »
Minestrone

In dutch oven heat 4 cups water, 1 can tomato paste, and 4 chicken bouillon cubes. Season with basil, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Then add 1 can corn (drained), 1 can diced tomatoes (undrained), 1 can kidney beans (drained), 1 can garbanzo beans (drained), and 1 can pieces and stems mushrooms (drained). Stir, then add 2 cups small pasta and cover with two or three cups of water. Allow to cook down, usually 7-8 minutes. Last of all, add sliced and quartered smoked sausage. Cook until the sausage is heated through.

Notes:

You can use 4 beef bouillon cubes or 2 chicken bouillon cubes and 2 beef bouillon cubes.

I prefer shell pasta or spiral pasta, but I don't see why any other spoon-sized pastas wouldn't work.

If you prefer a meatless version, then omit the smoked sausage. The same applies for the mushrooms and garbanzos--don't add them if you don't like them!

tiv

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »
Potato-Leek Soup

5-6 leeks
1/2 cup margarine
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 cups chicken stock or bouillon
salt
pepper

Cut the roots from leeks and discard tough outer leaves. Cut each leek in half lengthwise. Rinse thoroughly with cold running water to remove grit. Slice leeks crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces starting with the white end and using enough of the green part to make 5 cups.

Melt margarine in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks, celery, and onion, saute until tender and lightly browned.

Add stock and potatoes. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Process soup with immersion blender. Return to heat.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 04:41:28 AM »
Roasted pepper soup
=================
4 yellow peppers
2 Tblsp olive oil
1-2 each root vegetables (parsnip, carrot, celeriac root, celery stalks, onion) cleaned and chopped
4 cups water or stock
1 potato
salt, pepper to taste

1. Roast peppers in the oven or on open flame or grill. let them roast, turning occassionally until the skin gets black. remove from the oven and put into paper bag or pot with cover and let them sit until cool enuf to handle. the skin should peel right off. remove skin, stem, and seeds.

2. heat olive oil in pan. add root vegetables, let them 'sweat' then add stock, potato and peppers. simmer till soft, about 30 minutes.

3. blend with stick blender. add spices to taste. garnish with something bright green for contrast (cilantro leaves, chives, etc)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools