Author Topic: Soups  (Read 12851 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Soups
« on: December 07, 2006, 06:01:14 PM »
Umm, I don't have one.  Someone post a soup recipe...or two.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: Soups
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:12:39 PM »
Chicken Noodle Soup
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
1/2 bag of carrot slices (carrot chips)
4 ribs celery, diced
1 red onion, chopped
4 chicken bouillion cubes
2 large boxes Swanson chicken broth
1/3 bag extra wide egg noodles, cooked in salted water
Put all ingredients except noodles in crockpot. Cook on low 9 hours, until meat is done. Stir in cooked noodles right before serving.
We like it with sandwiches.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

PoisonIvy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 11:56:29 AM »
Sweet Potato and Carrot soup (vegetarian)

This is very easy and cheap to make, and can be made vegan by omitting the dairy.  It's also tasty, despite the simple list of ingredients, but leave out the cream if you're watching calories or plan to freeze it.

Makes 3-4 servings.

Ingredients:

- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 or 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (roughly same size as potato cubes)
- 2 medium sized white onions (shallots also work nicely), sliced
- 1.5 pints vegetable stock or water (can use bouillion powder, Marigold brand is v. good)
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- knob of butter
- vegetable oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Milk or cream (optional)

Melt the butter in a couple of tablespoons of the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook until translucent and soft, about 10 mins or so.  Stir in the carrots and sweet potato and cook for about five minutes, then add the water, stock, herbs, and freshly ground pepper.  (If you're using stock cubes or bouillion powder, go easy on the salt - in fact, it's probably best to leave salt out altogether until it's time to serve.) 

Turn up the heat to high and bring the stock to a boil, then turn down and let simmer (partially covered) for about 25 minutes.  When the vegetables are soft, turn off the heat, fish out the rosemary sprigs and bay leaves, and let the soup cool down a little bit.  Blend the soup either in stages in the blender, or if you're lazy like me and don't want too much to clean afterwards, use one of those hand-held blenders and blend it right in the pot until smooth (I like to leave some of the vegetables chunky).   

The soup is ready to serve as is, or if you like it a little richer, add a few tablespoons of single cream or whole milk before serving. 

PoisonIvy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »
Jerusalem Artichoke Soup (vegetarian)

Makes 3-4 servings.

Ingredients:

- 4 or 5 Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cubed
- 1 smallish potato (no bigger than fist-sized), peeled and cubed
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 medium onion or a handfull of shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pint of vegetable stock (can use bouillion, Marigold brand is v. good)
- knob of butter
- oil
- 2 tbsp. single cream or whole milk

Melt the butter in a couple of tablespoons of oil over medium heat.  Fry leeks and onions (or shallots) gently until they turn soft - about 10 minutes or so.  Add the Jerusalem artichokes and potato and fry a few more minutes.  Pour over the stock and turn up the heat to high.  When the soup reaches a rapid boil, turn down the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.  Turn off the heat, let it cool until it's at a blender-safe temperature, and blitz till smooth.  Heat up again slightly (do not boil), add the cream, parsely, salt and freshly ground pepper, and serve.   

PoisonIvy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 12:48:21 PM »
Garlic and Cilantro Soup (vegetarian)

This soup is insane - it uses a whole bulb (yes, bulb, not clove) - of garlic.  It sounds scary but if you like strong flavours, this is for you.  I once quickly made a batch at a dinner party where several unexpected guests had turned up and it received a standing ovation!  It's a very intensely flavoured soup, so serve it in small quantities and don't eat it before a first date...

(Serves 4)

1 large onion, chopped
1 bulb of garlic, cloves crushed or minced
handful of red lentils
generous handful of chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 - 3/4 pint coconut milk
1 pint water
2-3 fresh red chilies, medium heat (or a couple of large dried Mexican chilies)
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 teasp. coriander seeds
1 tablesp. cumin seeds
olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Toast the coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat.  Keep an eye on this, as you don't want the spices to burn.  Keep them moving in the pan and as soon as they start to release their fragrance, remove from the heat and grind, either with a mortar and pestle or in a clean coffee grinder. (You can use ready ground spices instead, but it really makes a difference if you toast and grind your own.) 

Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan largenough for your soup, and when the oil is hot, add the onion and garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions just begin to carmelise (about 10-12 minutes), then add the turmeric and toasted ground spices. Cook for another minute, then add the coconut milk, water, and lentils and bring to the boil.  Turn the heat down and add the chillies of your choice - I prefer to leave them whole and fish them out at the end of cooking, but they can also be chopped. 

Cover the pot loosely and let simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.  Remove the lid two thirds of the way into cooking if you prefer a thicker consistency.  The soup is ready when the lentils are cooked.  Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and serve in small bowls with a generous sprinkling of chopped coriander leaves. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Garlic Soup II
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »
Not vegetarian, but insanely good and a sure cure for insomnia:

1/2 lb peeled garlic cloves
3 tbsp olive oil
1 48 oz can chicken broth
4 carrots, cleaned and sliced
5 lengths celery, diced
1 large yellow turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
freshly ground pepper
chopped fresh parsley

Brown garlic cloves until golden, add broth and vegetables.  At boiling point, lower heat and cover partially.  Cook 60-90 minutes until vegetables are tender.  Puree in blender or food processor; should have a light pea soup consistency.  Add parsley and serve with a good French or Italian bread.

Optional:  Return to stove and add meat-filled ravioletti or tortellini.  Cook per pasta package directions and serve.

NotCinderell

Mushroom barley soup
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 12:48:46 PM »
I make this with the broth from the turkey carcass at Thanksgiving.

1 lb stew beef or oxtails (you can omit this if you want to make a vegetarian soup)
1-2 T oil
2 cloves garlic
2 leeks, white and light green parts only
1/2 lb white button mushrooms, sliced (or more)
1/2 lb cremini ("baby bella") mushrooms, sliced (or more)
Several fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 stalks celery, cut in 3-inch pieces
2-3 carrots, sliced
3-4 cups chicken or turkey broth (you can also use vegetable broth)
1 t dry sage
1 t dry thyme
salt and pepper to taste (this soup benefits from using a lot of pepper)
1 T chopped fresh dill (optional)
1/2 c barley

Sautee beef in oil until browned on all sides.  Remove from pot.  In drippings, sautee garlic, leeks, mushrooms, celery and carrots for about 3-5 minutes over medium heat.  Add broth, herbs, spices, and barley, and return beef to pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for at least an hour until barley and beef are tender and broth is beginning to get creamy.

orsuela

Pozole (Pork and Hominy Soup)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 04:37:51 PM »
This is a very ethnic soup.  The latin american flavors are strong, but extremely good.  When we participated in a soup "potluck" this soup was gone first, and I had to give out recipes.  I have made it with diced carrots and potatoes, but it tastes more authentic with out them.  We like it with a lot of lime in it, each person gets to add their own.  The pork can be substituted with beef.
Pozole

1 kilo (about 2 lbs) pork roast  (can used cut up pieces of pork to save time)
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon pepper
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp italian seasoning
1  med onion diced small
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 30 oz can of hominy drained
3 liters of water
1 cube of tomato bullion (or pork, if you can find it)
1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh green chiles (I use deveined and seeded jalepenos)
key limes cut in half to serve with each bowl
Warm corn tortillas

Heat oil in soup pot and add diced onion and garlic.  Saute for 1-2 minutes.  Move the onions and garlic to the sides of the pan and in the same oil, sear the roast.  When both sides are seared, season with lemon pepper, italian seasoning, and soy sauce.  Bring to a boil and add water and bullion.  Boil covered on high, until meat is tender, about 40 minutes.  Shred pork (leave it in the broth.)  Add canned tomatoes and hominy.  Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for about 30 minutes.  Serve soup with a sprinkle of fresh onion, chiles, cilantro, a spritz of lime, and warm tortillas on the side.   This can be made in a crock pot too.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 06:12:06 PM by orsuela »

Just Lori

• USA
Taco soup
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 09:12:51 AM »
I am on a quest to teach the world about Taco Soup.  I've shared it with internet buddies, members of my local cooking group and even submitted it as a "reader recipe" in our local newspaper. I love it because it's so versatile.  Dieters can skip the cheese and Fritos.  Vegetarians have reported luck using "fake meat" (their term) or omitting the meat completely.  It's quick, easy, freezes well and tastes better the next day.

Taco Soup

2 lbs ground beef or sausage
1-2 envelopes taco seasoning (use whatever "strength" you prefer)
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix (do NOT use low-fat)
2 cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes (I run mine through the blender because my husband won't eat tomato pieces)
1 can green chilis
2 cans of black beans, pinto beans or one of each
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
Fritos
Shredded cheddar

Brown the beef.  Drain and rinse under water to minimize fat. Return the beef to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients, except the Fritos and cheese. Add four cans of water. Simmer for at least 15 minutes.  The longer you simmer, the better it tastes.  Serve over Fritos and top with the cheese.   Enjoy!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »
                                   One Pot Meal.

1 head of savoy cabbage, trim, quarter and then cut into 1 inch shreds
5 White potatoes, peeled and cut into 8ths
7 carrots, peeled and sliced into 2 inch pieces
12 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 cans Swanson's chicken broth
a package of lite fully cooked Polish Sausage (or whatever kind you like), cut into 2 inch pieces

Place the potatoes, carrots, garlic and broth into a large pot with a lid.  Bring to boil and turn to simmer.
Meanwhile, lightly fry the sausage and add it and the cabbage to the pot. 
simmer, covered, until done.  Serve over buttered rolls.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:28:21 PM by jeaniuskc »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

melshell

The best NE clam chowda evah!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 08:47:45 PM »
I clipped this recipe from the local newpaper years ago & never had the chance to use it.   I finally made it for a Superbowl party I attended.  It was awesome!!!  My dad, who has trouble swallowing and has not eaten a full meal in 3 years, scarfed down 2 huge bowls.   :o Beware though, it was pretty pricey to make, but worth every penny.  Make sure you taste before adding any salt at the end.  When I made it, I did not need to add any.

Melissa

NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER

1 cups dry white wine
1 cups water
2 to 3 dozen little neck clams
2 large red potatoes scrubbed and cut into inch cubes
6 thick slices of bacon
1 large onion minced
6 celery ribs minced
6 baby carrots minced
6 tablespoons flour
3 cups whole milk
1 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
salt, pepper and paprika to taste

1.   Bring wine and water to a boil in a large pot.  Gently add the clams, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until the clams open, about 8 to 10 minutes.  Transfer the clams to a bowl and let cool, discarding any unopened clams.  Strain the cooking liquid and reserve the clam broth.  Remove clams from their shells and chop.  Rinse out the pot.

2.   In a medium pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil.  Season with salt and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 8 to 10 minutes; drain.

3.   Add bacon to the large pot and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until fat has been rendered.  Remove the bacon and coarsely chop.  Add onion, celery and carrots to the pot and cook until vegetables soften, about 8 minutes.

4.   Slowly sprinkle on the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  A little at a time, add the milk, stirring until smooth; then stir in the cream.  Add the reserved clam broth to the pot, making sure none of the grit gets in.  Add the chopped bacon.  Bring the chowder to a simmer over moderate heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5.   Add the cooked potatoes to the chowder and heat thoroughly.  Add the chopped clams, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the parsley and season with salt, pepper and paprika to taste.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 05:36:20 PM »
Spicy Cabbage Soup (can be vegetarian, see stock below)

Ingredients

1 small head cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds) shredded
4 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 pound bok choy, chopped
3 cups spinach
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon allspice
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup dry white wine
hot red pepper sauce to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Shred the cabbage and set aside. Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, cabbage, salt and pepper until tender but not brown. Add in the bok choy and spinach and cook for 1 minute longer. Add in the wine and cook for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and hot sauce and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

keelhaulrose

Baked French Onion Soup
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 12:05:42 AM »
Much of this is done to taste. I usually give my soup 4-5 hours to simmer on the stove, but my mother has given as little as 30 minutes.

3- 12 oz cans beef consume (or beef stock can be substituted)
10- beef flavored bullion cubes
2 medium yellow sweet onions (rounder the sweeter)
olive oil
basil- about 1 T
oregano- about 1 T
2 medium bay leaves
water
sliced swiss cheese
slice provolone cheese
grated parmesan cheese
1 loaf french bread

Step 1: Thinly slice the onions.
Step 2: In a large pot (size really depends on how much you're making, for smaller batches decrease cans of consume or stock to 2) carmelize the onions. Coat the bottom of the pot with olive oil, plus about 1 T. Add sliced onions all at once. Carmelizing usually involves stirring the onions every 8-10 minutes, and this process has taken up to about half an hour to 40 minutes for two medium large onions. Carmelizing onions will significantly reduce the amount of onions, and in the end they'll be pretty limp and brownish.
Step 3: Add the consume or stock and the bullion cubes. Stir constantly until bullion cubes are disolved.
Step 4: Add water. About 3 cups per person being served, depending on the time you're planning on simmering. 4 cups for longer boiling.
Step 5: Add basil and oregano, and stir.
Step 6: Bring the soup to a boil. At this point it could be taken and baked, but it tastes MUCH better by simmering for a while.
Step 7: Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for between 2-5 hours (depending on your taste). Check every 30 minutes or so to make sure it hasn't boiled down too much. If so, add more water.
Step 8: Turn oven on to broil (low option if you've got it). Spoon soup into separate oven-safe bowls, leaving about 1/2 inch from top. Place a slice of french bread into each bowl (toasting it in the oven for a minute or so helps it keep it's crispiness). Place one slice of each provolone and swiss on top of bread (or, if using as an entree, two of each). Sprinkle with grated parmesean cheese.
Step 9: Place in oven to broil. Soup is done when cheese starts to brown on top. It happens pretty quickly, so check every couple of minutes. Take soup out of oven and allow to sit a couple of minutes. Serve soup on individual plates with sliced french bread.

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 01:34:23 PM »
Chicken Taco Soup

2 large cans chunk chicken (or fresh chicken, roasted & removed from bone)
2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 can red kidney beans, undrained
1 can black beans, undrained
1 can sweet corn niblets, undrained
1 can white hominy, undrained
1 packet taco seasoning mix
1 packet ranch dressing mix

Open cans, dump into crock pot.  Stir.  Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or high for 2 to 3 hours.  Serve with nacho chips.  This is delicious, healthy (except for the chips), and so easy!  I always get raves about it.

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Soups: chicken broth from scratch
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 09:08:56 AM »
AKA jewish penicillin

2 pounds of chicken parts/bones. I buy necks/backs - in the butcher section of the supermarket we can buy these for really cheap, some places they give it away. this is great for the soup because it has virtually no fat, yet all the flavor. some people just use a whole chicken , or 2 pounds of wings.
vegetables:
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3-4 celery stalks, chopped
1 celery root
1-2 onion, peeled
2-3 parsnip, peeled
1 kholrabi, peeled and quartered
1 clove of garlic
few pepper corns
salt to taste.
additional vegetables: summer squash, scraped and chopped, and pumpkin - peeled.

put chicken in pot, put vegetables (except squash and pumpkin) on top, cover with water and add another 1-2 inches of water over the ingred. bring to a boil, skim, then cover and put it on the lowest possible flame for 2 hours or more. about 30 minutes before you finish cooking, add bunch of dill and bunch of parsley and remaining vegetables.

after soup is finished, removed from heat, and as soon as you can bear the heat, strain it. you want to get the root vegetables out of there because they tend to "drink" the soup. refrigerate overnight. if you want, you can remove the layer of congealed fat from the top (if you use just necks and backs there won't be any/much fat). of course then it won't be "real" jewish chicken soup ;D

now you have the basic broth, it should be a golden yellow color. you can use it "as is" for a clear broth, add some noodles, or rice, or matsa balls. or you can use this as a base for other soups. when serving, i usually add some fresh vegetables - let's see a few thin length-wise slices of carrot and/or squash.

notes: these are not exact quantities nor exact ingredients. if you can't find a certain root, don't worry about it. the important thing is the dill and parsley, and whatever other vegetables you can find.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools