News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 10:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spinoff on BBQ thread:  (Read 1618 times)

hope

Spinoff on BBQ thread:
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »
Last summer my brother and SIL held a bbq.  Her side of the family, our side and some friends.  About 40 people (they have a large back yard).  They provided everything and had beer, water and soda for drinks.  We were at one table talking to SIL's family who was at the next table and in walks "Uncle Pete" with 2 bottles of wine.  He then goes back into the kitchen and gets a bottle opener but asks my brother for wine glasses.  My brother carries them over to the table (they each had 4 in their hands) and then leaves.   Uncle Pete pours wine for his relatives and we are never offered any.  Should my brother had said something?  Like "did you bring enough for everyone?"

cicero

Re: Spinoff on BBQ thread:
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 11:35:16 AM »
no your brother should not have said anything - it would have been rude. had uncle pete (UP) brought enuf for everyone - he (pete) probably would've carried the bottles around the tables, or given it to your brother.

FWIW - UP was very rude, but i've seen this kind of behavior before. dinner party guests who bring a bottle of wine as a host/ess gift and then proceed to drink it themselves.  ::)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sparksals

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
At such a casual family BBQ, I don't see a problem with what Uncle Pete did.  Perhaps he doesn't like beer and checked with the hosts if it was ok for him to bring wine. He could also have a dietary restriction where wine is ok, but beer is not.  Also, since the hosts were providing beer, pop and water, I don't see why UP should offer you his wine. 

At a much more formal event, I'd consider it rude, but not at a backyard family BBQ.

ganjin

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:11:33 PM »

At a homey, family event where there was already beer---maybe OK amongst kinfolks.   If there had pointedly been no alcohol, major rude.

Once at a wedding, another guest at our table took a few sips of the wine, called over the waiter, and ordered a couple of bottles of another wine just for our table.   I didn't drink any, but thought it rather a slap at the hosts' choices and their expenditures on behalf of their guests.

Somehow, I find this snobbish behavior even more reprehensible than the ignorant group bringing in Subway.   At least they were young, and perhaps WILL learn better.