Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Healthy macaroni & cheese?

(1/2) > >>

CrayonOutlines:
Pasta, cheese, milk, eggs... is it possible to make this relatively healthy?

I'm doing Weight Watchers and am craving my faaaaaaavorite food.  One package of Easy Mac is 5 points per serving and I'm wondering if something I could make something with fewer (even if it's saves just 1 point!).

Thanks!

Suze:
eggs in mac and cheese? 

New one to me, we have never done that.

I would think that if you made it yourself with skim milk and "legal" margrine you might be able to shave points.

Don't they have a WW cheese out there? 

(no I don't do WW but it seems everyone I work with is)

Just Lori:
http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=332681&package_id=332686

I've never tried this recipe, but it looks promising.

freakyfemme:
Easy Mac is disgusting anyway, lol.....but now you have me craving REAL macaroni and cheese....maybe I'll make that at some point this week.  I can't now, because I'm already making spaghetti, but another time.

CrayonOutlines:

--- Quote from: Suze on February 04, 2007, 05:38:41 PM ---eggs in mac and cheese? 

--- End quote ---

Yup.  It helps with moisture and with helping the cheese stick to the macaroni.  My mom never used eggs, either, and her homemade mac & cheese was just that... macaroni and then some cheese.

I found a recipe in my healthy crockpot cookbook, so we'll see how it goes.  Here it is in case anyone else wants to try:

Macaroni & Cheddar Cheese
Makes 7 servings
(Ideal slow-cooker size: 3.5 quart)

2 1/2c fat-free or 2% milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
3c low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
8oz pkg macaroni, cooked al dente

1. Combine all ingredients except macaroni in slow cooker.
2. Cook on high for 1 hour.
3. Add macaroni. Cook on low 4 more hours.

Per serving:
170 calories (40 calories from fat)
4.5g total fat (2.5g saturated, 0g trans)
40mg cholesterol
400mg sodium
15g total carbohydrate (0g fiber, 6g sugar)
17g protein

Oh, and freakyfemme: I LOVE Easy Mac and praise the person(s) who invented it.  : )  I don't like reheated Kraft macaroni & cheese and had figured out how to split a box into four equal servings (along with milk, butter, & powdered cheese ratios) so that I always had a "fresh" batch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version