Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Healthy macaroni & cheese?

(1/2) > >>

Pasta, cheese, milk, eggs... is it possible to make this relatively healthy?

I'm doing Weight Watchers and am craving my faaaaaaavorite food.  One package of Easy Mac is 5 points per serving and I'm wondering if something I could make something with fewer (even if it's saves just 1 point!).

eggs in mac and cheese? 

New one to me, we have never done that.

I would think that if you made it yourself with skim milk and "legal" margrine you might be able to shave points.

Don't they have a WW cheese out there? 

(no I don't do WW but it seems everyone I work with is)

Just Lori:

I've never tried this recipe, but it looks promising.

Easy Mac is disgusting anyway, lol.....but now you have me craving REAL macaroni and cheese....maybe I'll make that at some point this week.  I can't now, because I'm already making spaghetti, but another time.

--- Quote from: Suze on February 04, 2007, 04:38:41 PM ---eggs in mac and cheese? 

--- End quote ---

Yup.  It helps with moisture and with helping the cheese stick to the macaroni.  My mom never used eggs, either, and her homemade mac & cheese was just that... macaroni and then some cheese.

I found a recipe in my healthy crockpot cookbook, so we'll see how it goes.  Here it is in case anyone else wants to try:

Macaroni & Cheddar Cheese
Makes 7 servings
(Ideal slow-cooker size: 3.5 quart)

2 1/2c fat-free or 2% milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
3c low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
8oz pkg macaroni, cooked al dente

1. Combine all ingredients except macaroni in slow cooker.
2. Cook on high for 1 hour.
3. Add macaroni. Cook on low 4 more hours.

Per serving:
170 calories (40 calories from fat)
4.5g total fat (2.5g saturated, 0g trans)
40mg cholesterol
400mg sodium
15g total carbohydrate (0g fiber, 6g sugar)
17g protein

Oh, and freakyfemme: I LOVE Easy Mac and praise the person(s) who invented it.  : )  I don't like reheated Kraft macaroni & cheese and had figured out how to split a box into four equal servings (along with milk, butter, & powdered cheese ratios) so that I always had a "fresh" batch.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version