Author Topic: Healthy macaroni & cheese?  (Read 1496 times)

CrayonOutlines

Healthy macaroni & cheese?
« on: February 04, 2007, 05:28:53 PM »
Pasta, cheese, milk, eggs... is it possible to make this relatively healthy?

I'm doing Weight Watchers and am craving my faaaaaaavorite food.  One package of Easy Mac is 5 points per serving and I'm wondering if something I could make something with fewer (even if it's saves just 1 point!).

Thanks!

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Healthy macaroni & cheese?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 05:38:41 PM »
eggs in mac and cheese? 

New one to me, we have never done that.

I would think that if you made it yourself with skim milk and "legal" margrine you might be able to shave points.

Don't they have a WW cheese out there? 

(no I don't do WW but it seems everyone I work with is)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 06:08:34 PM »

freakyfemme

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 07:09:14 PM »
Easy Mac is disgusting anyway, lol.....but now you have me craving REAL macaroni and cheese....maybe I'll make that at some point this week.  I can't now, because I'm already making spaghetti, but another time.

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
eggs in mac and cheese? 

Yup.  It helps with moisture and with helping the cheese stick to the macaroni.  My mom never used eggs, either, and her homemade mac & cheese was just that... macaroni and then some cheese.

I found a recipe in my healthy crockpot cookbook, so we'll see how it goes.  Here it is in case anyone else wants to try:

Macaroni & Cheddar Cheese
Makes 7 servings
(Ideal slow-cooker size: 3.5 quart)

2 1/2c fat-free or 2% milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
3c low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded or cubed
8oz pkg macaroni, cooked al dente

1. Combine all ingredients except macaroni in slow cooker.
2. Cook on high for 1 hour.
3. Add macaroni. Cook on low 4 more hours.

Per serving:
170 calories (40 calories from fat)
4.5g total fat (2.5g saturated, 0g trans)
40mg cholesterol
400mg sodium
15g total carbohydrate (0g fiber, 6g sugar)
17g protein

Oh, and freakyfemme: I LOVE Easy Mac and praise the person(s) who invented it.  : )  I don't like reheated Kraft macaroni & cheese and had figured out how to split a box into four equal servings (along with milk, butter, & powdered cheese ratios) so that I always had a "fresh" batch.

Buffy2424

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »
I more or less make the Joy of Cooking macaroni and cheese.  No eggs.  No way around the butter and extra-sharp cheddar for me, but...

I use wheat pasta shells, and skim milk.  Plus spices like paprika and curry powder.

NotCinderell

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
I make low-fat macaroni and cheese for my FIL all the time when DH and I are in town.  He loves it.

2 T low-fat margarine
2T flour
2 c skim milk
Approximately 6 oz low-fat or fat free cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
Salt and pepper
Dry mustard (optional), breadcrumbs (optional), parsley (optional), turmeric (optional) parmesan cheese (optional)
2 c macaroni
Pam or other vegetable oil spray

Heat a large pot of water to boiling.  In a small saucepan, over very low heat, melt margarine.  Add flour and whisk together (you might want to actually do this off the heat).  Add milk, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 20 mins.  Turn off heat and stir cheese into white sauce.  Add a lot of salt and pepper (the sauce on its own should taste too salty).  You can also add a little bit of dry mustard for flavor, or turmeric for color.

Cook macaroni in boiling water according to package directions, until al dente (about 5-7 mins).  Strain.  Mix cheese sauce and macaroni in a mixing bowl.  Spray casserole dish with pam, put macaroni and cheese mixture in dish.  You can top with breadcrumbs, parsley, and/or grated parmesan cheese if desired.

Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and a bit brown on top.  (about 45 mins)