Author Topic: Proper hostessing  (Read 5396 times)

kiero

Re: Proper hostessing
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
Twik - what would you define as messy?  There were hairs scattered on the bathroom floor, two or three used washcloths sitting on the bathroom sink, the hand towel was filthy and there was crap all over the small vanity/sink area. 

As a messy person - that wouldn't be "dirty" to me.  Because my mother beat it into our heads - I would clean my bathroom before I hav guests (probably).  But to me what you discribe isn't 'dirty'.  It's a bit 'messy'.  I like clean towels so I wouldn't have a dirty handtowel.  But right now there are three wet face clothes - two are on the counter and 1 is hanging up.  There are bits of toothpaste in the sink.  Now that's because it's DH who uses far too much and ends us with the lumps after her brushes his teeth.  If he doesn't want to rinse them down the drian right away - he can go through the extra work of washing them off before we have visitors.  But they don't bug me.  Neither do the hairs.  I've always been a shedder. 

But mainly - I clean before I have guests.  But I have more important things to do than clean the rest of the time.  But I also wouldn't turn guests away.  I might say - the place is a mess.  But I am not ashamed of haveing a house which looks lived in.  It isn't a hotel.  It is my house.  So if there are personal thigns out in the bathroom - good!  There should be.  It is someone elses space.  I am not going to make my house looked unlived in inorder to have guests. 

taralee

• Just happy to be here
    • TheQuiltingSpot
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 07:33:26 PM »
We hold a monthly gathering at our house, and I always scrub down the guest bath, as well as our personal bath. Both are accessible to our guests. What I can't do in our personal bath is put away all our personal stuff, because it is quite simply too small (seriously -- it's the world's smallest bathroom. The door hits the toilet when you open it). I try to direct people to the guest bath, but if someone uses our personal bath, well, they get to look at my hair brush, and my husband's bottle of Rogaine. If it offends them, then hopefully they'll use the guest bath from that point onward ;) But regardless, all the bathrooms are at least clean.
Come check out my quilting website: http://www.thequiltingspot.com

bella

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:25 AM »
I was asked to housesit  for 2 weeks for a couple i'd known for quite a while and was more than surprised when i arrived and the house was totally unlivable. It took 10 hrs of solid cleaning and disinfecting to get the house anywhere near livable and by the end of it I did pull out because their dog was on heat ( something i got told when i got there) all over their tiled floor and it was just germ covered and i couldn't cook in that place. We ended up buying new cleaning products as well as teatowels , chopping boards etc. I couldn't shower in the house without swigging disinfectant around the bottom of it. I was surprised i didn't get sick from being in there

It was a nightmare and the house didn't look like it had been cleaned in about 6 months with a mountain of dishes left for me to do as well as the house smelling of animal waste.

I think if you are going to have people over you need to at least tidy up before hand and make sure the rooms the guests have access to are clean and tidy and never let your house get to the state that i had to experience.

~ Bella

Sapphi27

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 01:52:25 PM »
I was asked to housesit  for 2 weeks .... It took 10 hrs of solid cleaning and disinfecting to get the house anywhere near livable

It was a nightmare and the house didn't look like it had been cleaned in about 6 months with a mountain of dishes left for me to do as well as the house smelling of animal waste.

Bella, I really hope that they paid you for your for your maid services as well as housesitting.  Ugh.

Sapphi27

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:57 PM »
There were hairs scattered on the bathroom floor...

sparksals, hair is a difficult thing.  I clean up my hair every day, and still I can return to the bathroom to find a stray hair on the counter or on the floor I just cleaned.  I'm not going to start wearing a hair-net in my own home.  I agree that seeing hair is not most appealing thing.  But sometimes there is only so much I can do unless I become OCD.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 04:52:26 PM »
There is always hair on my bathroom floor!! I vacumn the bathroom once a week, but as sapphi said, it's always going to be there no matter what as long as one brushes, washes, and styles their hair in the bathroom.

kiero

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »
My hair is falling out (very common after having a baby) and I just spent 30 minutes trying to clean the hair from my bathroom.  It's been a week since the last cleaning - and I can't get it all. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 05:35:11 PM »
My hair is falling out (very common after having a baby) and I just spent 30 minutes trying to clean the hair from my bathroom.  It's been a week since the last cleaning - and I can't get it all. 

Oh, I remember that well.  I thought I was going bald until someone told me *why* it was all falling out.  Gee.  Guess I didn't really notice that for the last 9 months I hadn't lost any hair at all.  No wonder it looked so lush and thick!

Sorry for the OT.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 11:42:47 PM »
There were hairs scattered on the bathroom floor...

sparksals, hair is a difficult thing.  I clean up my hair every day, and still I can return to the bathroom to find a stray hair on the counter or on the floor I just cleaned.  I'm not going to start wearing a hair-net in my own home.  I agree that seeing hair is not most appealing thing.  But sometimes there is only so much I can do unless I become OCD.

A hair or two is not a big deal.  I'm talking in the sink, on the counter, on the floor, dangling from the wall.  It wasn't just a couple (which is understandable - heck, I bet I'll find a hair or two in both of my very clean bathrooms) - it was many.

I can clean my bathroom and find a hair in it after its been cleaned.  Someone uses it, puts their hands through their hair and a few fly away.  No problem. 

It's when the hair obviously hasn't been cleaned up in a very long time that I get grossed out - and that's exactly what this bathroom was like.

But you would think that when people were having guests, they would at least clean the common bathroom.  This was not the case at this house.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:44:24 PM by sparksals »

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 11:43:26 PM »
Shoo - why does it all fall out after having a baby?

loopey2u

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 06:01:11 AM »
Using other peoples dirty bathrooms and seeing their dirty laundry laying around skeeves me out too.  The hosts should have at least tried to clean the place up before you got there.  That's gross.  It's not like you all just showed up on the doorstep with no notice.  This was a party.

The condition of my house depends on who's coming over.  If it's just close friends who come over to watch a movie/play cards, the house can be a little messy.  We all have kids, and know it is nearly impossible to keep a spotless house when they're around.  I've seen their houses messy too, and we're all comfortable with that.

For a bigger party that is planned well in advance,  I try to get the place spotless.  It usually looks trashed within 5 minutes of all the guests arriving, but I still like to clean beforehand.

ClaireC79

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 06:12:13 AM »
Spark, you don't loose hair when you are pregnant, so then when it goes back to normal you have an extra 9 months worth of hair to get rid of, so it seems like loads is falling it

Sapphi27

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 01:33:03 PM »
But you would think that when people were having guests, they would at least clean the common bathroom.  This was not the case at this house.

I agree.  I actually couldn't tell from your description how much hair you were bothered by: a few hairs, several hours of many guests using the bathroom, or loads of hair trapped by weeks/years worth of dust bunnies.

Hair on the walls is a weird thing.  It happens to me, and I do try to clean down the walls.  The worst is that the landlords painted the walls before I moved in (years ago), and the unthinking painters painted the walls with the previous tenants hair.  I can't get rid of it without chipping away at the paint.

I think we are all in agreement that host should clean the bathroom for guests.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
A dirty guest bathroom would completely shell-shock me with grossness. I already get grossed out just having to use a guest bathroom (especially the shower!!) altogether, so if it was dirty that would be even worse. The shower thing especially, for some reason I just always have had a problem with using a guest shower. In fact sometimes I even bring shower flip-flops so my feet don't have to touch a strange tub that has been touched by other's germs.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Spark, you don't loose hair when you are pregnant, so then when it goes back to normal you have an extra 9 months worth of hair to get rid of, so it seems like loads is falling it

OK, so why don't you lose it when pg?  Is it b/c of hormones?