Author Topic: Proper hostessing  (Read 4929 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Proper hostessing
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »
But you would think that when people were having guests, they would at least clean the common bathroom.  This was not the case at this house.

I agree.  I actually couldn't tell from your description how much hair you were bothered by: a few hairs, several hours of many guests using the bathroom, or loads of hair trapped by weeks/years worth of dust bunnies.

Hair on the walls is a weird thing.  It happens to me, and I do try to clean down the walls.  The worst is that the landlords painted the walls before I moved in (years ago), and the unthinking painters painted the walls with the previous tenants hair.  I can't get rid of it without chipping away at the paint.

I think we are all in agreement that host should clean the bathroom for guests.

A few hairs is totally understandable.  This looked like a culmination of weeks of not cleaning the bathroom.

Sapphi27

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
This looked like a culmination of weeks of not cleaning the bathroom.

Yuck.  I'm sorry you had to go through that.

kiero

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 03:24:04 PM »
Spark, you don't loose hair when you are pregnant, so then when it goes back to normal you have an extra 9 months worth of hair to get rid of, so it seems like loads is falling it

OK, so why don't you lose it when pg?  Is it b/c of hormones?

Yes.  It's just one of the strange things.  The hormone levels keep your hair and then starting at about 3 months post partum the hair starts to fall out.  And it's all relative to how much hair you normally loose.  So for some people it only lasts a month or so - and for other people (like my sister) it lasts for more than 6 months. 

pryncsskittyn

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/hairloss.html

It's too complicated to type it all out, so I looked it up and found a website that clears up the hair loss and pregnancy questions  8)

ClaireC79

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 04:16:26 PM »
I believe so, not sure which one though.  And in a bit TMI it's why you can end up with a hairy stomach as well (old wives tale is that if you have a hairy brown line down the middle of your belly - a linea nigra - then you are having a boy, I didn't have one with either sex but I was hairier with my son, luckily I'm fair so it doesn't show so much)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 09:30:35 PM »
I side with all previous posters on this one.  A clean bathroom for your guests is mandatory.

Mr. Thipu and I once were invited to Dinner at the home of one of his distant relatives when we were visiting the other coast.  The Bathroom they presented to us was ghastly.  They had a big dog and its hair was all over the place. there was also a cat-box in the bathroom that really smelled. 

We weren't offered anything to drink with Dinner and I'm not talking about alcohol. Mr. Thipu and I had been out on an excursion with the Man of the house for about 6 hours.  He'd taken us up and down the coast to show us all the wonderful tourist sights but the man never stopped to drink anything.  He also wouldn't stop to let us buy anything we could drink because he had to show us as much as he could in the little time he had.       

By the time we reached our relative's house for Dinner, Mr. Thipu and I were seriously dehydrated.  Our Hostess didn't seem to understand that we needed water.  Nothing whatsoever to drink was served at the table during Dinner.   We wound up drinking it from a shared bathroom glass that Mr. Thipu picked up from a powder room.

After Dinner, tea was served in the living room (also heavy with dog and cat hair).  After about 8 hours with this relative and his family, we were no longer able to be quite as polite as we might like to be.  Mr. Thipu and I slugged down tea as fast as we could politely do so.  You know how it is. 

You're so dehydrated that your eyes are starting to sink into the back of their sockets.  Your tongue is cleaving to the roof of your mouth and Cousin X is rattling on about the beauty of his garden and the friendliness of his large, overly-friendly dog. 

We met Cousin X at nine in the morning for our tour.  It's now ten in the evening.  We're tired, dehydrated, covered with animal hair and still on the road. HELP  :-[       

ccnumber4

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 10:49:03 PM »
I agree that a clean bathroom is mandatory for guests.  At least invited and / or expected ones. 

I was staying with a friend while in another city for a mutual friend's wedding.  When I arrived, the place was so unlivable that I could simply not imagine sleeping there, eating there, unpacking my gown for the wedding, etc.  I ended up going to lunch with another friend and we were able to convince first friend that since he was my date to the wedding, it made more sense for me to stay at his place.  I felt horrible but I just could Not. Do. It. 

Sapphi27

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 04:18:59 PM »
*Warning maybe TMI*

A horrible repressed memory just came to me.  Years ago, I made plans to visit a friend who was attending grad school in Boston at the time.  This was in the middle of August.  This was my first (and only) visit to Boston and didn't really know my way around.  To make a long story short, I finally find her place, used the key she left for me, and opened the door to be welcomed by the most god awful smell ever.  There were wood, plastic, and cardboard barriers into the kitchen, living room, and back bedroom.  Her bedroom was off to one side, and I hightailed it into there to hide.  I then attempted to use the bathroom where laundry was hanging and found that it was the source of the smell.

The bathroom smelled like a park bathroom which hadn't been cleaned in years, with dripping water, mold, walls covered in urine and $&@^ ,and years of homeless making it their home.  The heat did not help the smell.  Aside from the laundry, the bathroom was NOT messy, but whoa was it one of the nastiest smells on the earth.

Later when my friend arrived home, she told me she barely smelled it, but she had been interning in a hospital so may have been used to unusual smells.  The barriers were because they thought they had mice in the house, and her roommates wanted to trap them or keep them out--I can't remember which.

If I had the money, I would have stayed somewhere else, but I didn't and had to wait until my flight a few days later to leave that smell hole.  I definitely spent as little time in her place as I could.  It really is the only thing I can distinctly remember about Boston and that's sad.