Author Topic: Classic Bad Business Etiquette: Corporate Spouse From H3!!  (Read 15716 times)

Asharah

Re: Classic Bad Business Etiquette: Corporate Spouse From H3!!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »
My question is does Tom know of Sue's behavior?  If not you might want to inform him of it.  As for Sue's behavior she belongs in a zoo, but then again most animals would probably have better manners then her.
Send her out in the woods to live in a cave. Maybe the bears would eat her! On second thought, she might give the poor babies indigestion!
Asharah

asta

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 06:54:06 AM »
Corporate spousal behaviour is a "tell" in the business world.  Any guy saddled with a battle-axe like that will probably never get a promotion.  Bosses figure that if he can't control his wife's behaviour, then he most likely won't be able to manage anything more than what he's doing.

Of course he knew his wife was returning the registry for cash; how do you hide twelve g's?  All the co-workers of Mr. Spineless acted in good faith, only to be slapped in the face.  Waaayyyy beyond rude.

Like the "charitable contribution" idea, hmmm.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:23 AM »
There really are no words to adequately describe my horror at this woman...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Asharah

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 12:17:28 PM »
There really are no words to adequately describe my horror at this woman...
If it's any consolation, there is a story here of another bride whose groom had the intestional fortitude to call off the wedding when she tried to pull the same kind of crap on his family!
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=3107.0
Asharah

Lillie82

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »
I'm sorry, but this typo made me laugh, and seems to fit under a new "Humor Me" thread about funny misuses of words:

Yeah, Tom's not entirely guilt free here. I'm sure he knew everyone in his office sent a very generous gift whether or not he knew right off the but that Sue had returned them for cash.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
I don't know, I mean everyone makes faux pas' from time to time but this is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement of these people is astounding. Why don't they just come out and say "we don't want your stinkin' gifts, just give us lots of cash"?

Or, maybe give a charitable donation on their behalf, I'm sure she would pop a blood vessel. Too bad, it would be fun to watch her trying to get her money back from a charity. Oh dear, I am evil... 

Lol!!! I love it!!!

This. Along with an etiquette book.

Oh baby...what a total witch with a capital B!
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Spoder

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 01:59:33 AM »
Hate to nitpick, but I'm still trying to figure out why the original OP dipped into the coffers to send this woman a $265 baby basket?!? ??? After she was so rude about the wedding gift, why would you do that?? Talk about a sucker for punishment.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 02:02:58 AM »
It was probably in an attempt to do something similar to what they would have normally done had to many people not been burned.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
I don't buy for a second that he didn't know what his bride was doing. She admitted it at a party with his corp execs there for heavens sake!
If Tom had come up to me and asked "if we still do that anymore" and told me how hurt his wife was... well.. I don't think I would have been able to keep silent...
My response might have been, "Well of course we still do things like that, when the gift is actually appreciated." and left it at that. I don't know if that's rude but I don't know that I would care in this case actually. Sometimes, the truth is really the only way to respond to something like that.

LeeLee88

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
This woman-thing reminds me of when I worked as a salesperson for a forge that created all manner of metal gifts, serving wear, etc.  This shop had a bunch of things readily available in bronze, pewter, aluminum, etc. on our sales floor that came with lovely designs.  Those particular items were returnable.  We only had one stipulation to our return policy: if the item has been engraved, no returns.  And we don't give cash, only store credit.

That being said, we also did fabricate items out of special metals.  These tended to be quite pricey. 

One day, I get a woman in there who registers for all sorts of things; the bulk of them being in special metal.  Her guests come in and place the order for these custom pieces, and almost all of said custom pieces are further personalized via engraving.  Some of them had the most lovely messages.  Guests also purchased some of our "ready made" items like coasters, candy dishes, picture frames, etc. 

Less than a month after the wedding, the bride comes back in with her groom, looking to return all of these items.   I look through what she has and separate out "returnable" versus "non-returnable".  I explain to her that I can return this pile of items for her, but I can only give store credit.  She is not happy, and getting quite snotty with me.  She jabs her finger at the other pile and asks me about that one.  I tell her those items are non-returnable because they have been engraved.  I explain to her that we cannot simply brush out the engraving, as it would weaken the metal and destroy the integrity of the piece. She. FREAKS.  Starts yelling at me about how she only wanted these things to return them for cash, and goes to far as to throw a stack of aluminum coasters at me before one of my co-workers runs to the back to grab some of the forge boys for back up.  Long story short, she didn't even get store credit, and wound up leaving with nothing after we told her she could either leave of her own volition with her items or we could get the police to come and get her for attempting to assault not just an employee, but a minor (I was 15 at the time, although I looked 25).  She left on her own without any of her stuff, and was permanently barred from the premises, needless to say.  Maybe she was related to the bride from this sordid tale?   ::)  :P

cnhartman2

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 09:36:15 AM »
I'm tempted to inquire if this woman was raised in a trailer park, however, I would probably be insulting alot of actual trailer park residents who actual have manners!

You probably managed to anyway.

naahhhh.....I lived in a trailer park for a while, and while I would never engaged in this type of behavior, I do have stories to tell. But that's for another thread!   :)

lol I was thinking something similar.  I've lived in a trailer, my husband lived in a trailer, and most of our friends and relatives have at some point, too.  We all agree that the term "trailer trash" isn't something any of us should be offended by because we understand that it's more of an attitude than a lifestyle.  Sue certainly has that attitude.

eltf177

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »
For some reason this story reminded me of this classic...

www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=4104.0

This was one of the first stories I ever read here, and is still one of my favorites...

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »
I don't know, I mean everyone makes faux pas' from time to time but this is unbelievable. The sense of entitlement of these people is astounding. Why don't they just come out and say "we don't want your stinkin' gifts, just give us lots of cash"?

Or, maybe give a charitable donation on their behalf, I'm sure she would pop a blood vessel. Too bad, it would be fun to watch her trying to get her money back from a charity. Oh dear, I am evil... 

Lol!!! I love it!!!

Sorry, but this isn't an etiquette-approved way of dealing with rudeness.  It's passive-aggressive, plus, gifts to charity aren't considered appropriate gifts to third parties.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 01:42:41 AM »

Lol!!! I love it!!!

Sorry, but this isn't an etiquette-approved way of dealing with rudeness.  It's passive-aggressive, plus, gifts to charity aren't considered appropriate gifts to third parties.

I was kind of joking.... It's one of those things I wouldn't do, but would spend quite some time fantasizing about :D
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)