"You're very observant."

(1/6) > >>

Bathing One:
How does one politely respond to personal observations, like:

"You've colored your hair!"
or
"Are you using a new concealer?"

I usually say, "You're very observant."

There used to be a rule in etiquette that said such things as hair coloring and makeup were "invisible," and that the only proper observation is "you look rested."  Has that gone by the wayside?

(For the record, yes, it's Loreal Feria in Copper Penny haircolor, and Bo-ing concealer.)

mechtilde:
Perhaps a comment on concealer is not very tactful, but the hair colour comment sounded rather like a compliment- as would noticing a new haircut, dress,lipstick or whatever.

Phoebe:
Politely?  "Yes, I did."

How I'm tempted to respond?  "No, I didn't."  Or if it's a multiple-repeat offender, a VERY detailed explanation of exactly how I did it. 

sbtier:
Yes, it's still considered rude to make personal comments on people's appearance in polite society.  Your response, though, is slightly snarky.

LyanneB1:

--- Quote from: Bathing One on January 21, 2008, 07:12:29 PM ---....There used to be a rule in etiquette that said such things as hair coloring and makeup were "invisible," and that the only proper observation is "you look rested."  Has that gone by the wayside?....
--- End quote ---

I think that the reason people have forgotten this rule, is that it dates back to when people coloured their hair to colour grey or otherwise 'improve' their natural looks, & the same for the make up.  So many people colour their hair colours which are quite evidently not their natural hair colour or wear make up of very bright colours, that it might seem rude not to comment on them.

If I coloured my hair bright pink & no-one commented, I'd think no-one liked it.  Saying that, if I see someone with freshly coloured bright pink hair (I mean that hadn't been that colour last time I saw them), I would say 'Oh, your hair looks nice', rather than 'Oh, you've coloured your hair'. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version