News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2017, 09:04:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Creamy leek soup  (Read 965 times)

CakeBeret

Creamy leek soup
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
I had a soup one time that was absolutely scrumptious beyond belief. I know that it had in it:

leeks
potatoes
ground beef or pork
Heavy cream
Cream cheese
Mild white cheese (or maybe not, I'm not sure on that one)

It was very rich and creamy, and the consistency was thick and smooth.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

edenparadox

Re: Creamy leek soup
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »
Let's see. You can brown a pound or two of the beef and/or pork with 2 leeks. I use the greens and whites but that's up to you - just make sure to rinse them thoroughly.

Dice a half dozen or so good sized potatoes and set them to cook in a pot of vegetable broth. Add some salt. When the potatoes are close to done, add in leeks and meat. Season to taste. Take off heat or leave at a very low heat and add a cup or so of cream, half a container of cream cheese and a cup of preferred cheese. Maybe a white cheddar?

Does that sound about right?

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »
Let's see. You can brown a pound or two of the beef and/or pork with 2 leeks. I use the greens and whites but that's up to you - just make sure to rinse them thoroughly.

Dice a half dozen or so good sized potatoes and set them to cook in a pot of vegetable broth. Add some salt. When the potatoes are close to done, add in leeks and meat. Season to taste. Take off heat or leave at a very low heat and add a cup or so of cream, half a container of cream cheese and a cup of preferred cheese. Maybe a white cheddar?

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Bathing One

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:38:48 PM »
That DOES sound good!

Please do make sure to rinse the leeks THOROUGHLY.  I follow Alton Brown's suggestion of cutting them in half and separating them, then floating them in a sink of water, swishing until all the sand falls to the bottom of the sink.

I one RUINED a recipe by not rinsing the leeks enough.  Leeks with roasted sand is NOT a good side dish.  :P

edenparadox

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
Just keep in mind it's all approximate measures. I am awful at measuring my ingredients - I just throw stuff in.

minnaloushe

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:39:58 PM »

Don't forget the blender.

This recipe sounds great Eden!

edenparadox

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:46 AM »
I swear by my immersion blender if you want to blend up the soup. 10 bucks at a supermarket and you're good to go. And it's way safer than using a regular blender for hot things.

Thanks minnaloushe! Glad you like it.