Author Topic: Library Buddies  (Read 1634 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Library Buddies
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »
Our school has Library Buddies, a group of about 15 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders who volunteer in the library from 7 - 7:30 each morning.  Today the librarian was out, and the sub was confused. She is trying to ask me questions and I'm trying to get 25 tutoring students logged in the lab computers. Just then in streams the 15 library buddies and 7 newspaper reporters. I go to the door and say Mrs. Librarian is out.
Buddies get the circulation computer logged on and the carts out - then start shelving fiction books.

Newspaper log on the computers as student get busy on the February and March newsletters. When you leave - log out and then log back in for Succesmaker so Mrs. Sub doesn't have to worry about that.

The Sub stood and watched in amazement as these 8 - 12 year olds opened the library. One of the 3 graders asked very politely "Do you know how to check books in and out" Sat her down and showed her how to check in and out books. The AP found out and praised them on the Morning announcements.

Since we've had posts about ill behaved kids in libraries. I thought you all might enjoy hearing about this. Now it wasn't quiet and it was very active. But when they left the computers were logged on properly and 3/4 of the books on the cars were shelved properly.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Library Buddies
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:39:40 PM »
I love it!  Thanks for sharing this one!  :)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 09:54:45 PM »
Kherbert05,

You made my day!  There IS hope for the future after all!

Lily

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »
I love stories like this! Kids don't often get the credit they deserve for doing good things.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 06:49:51 AM »
Our school has Library Buddies, a group of about 15 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders who volunteer in the library from 7 - 7:30 each morning.  Today the librarian was out, and the sub was confused. She is trying to ask me questions and I'm trying to get 25 tutoring students logged in the lab computers. Just then in streams the 15 library buddies and 7 newspaper reporters. I go to the door and say Mrs. Librarian is out.
Buddies get the circulation computer logged on and the carts out - then start shelving fiction books.

Newspaper log on the computers as student get busy on the February and March newsletters. When you leave - log out and then log back in for Succesmaker so Mrs. Sub doesn't have to worry about that.

The Sub stood and watched in amazement as these 8 - 12 year olds opened the library. One of the 3 graders asked very politely "Do you know how to check books in and out" Sat her down and showed her how to check in and out books. The AP found out and praised them on the Morning announcements.

Since we've had posts about ill behaved kids in libraries. I thought you all might enjoy hearing about this. Now it wasn't quiet and it was very active. But when they left the computers were logged on properly and 3/4 of the books on the cars were shelved properly.

That's so cool.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem