Author Topic: The Care Package Project -- an Update  (Read 30025 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: The Care Package Project -- an Update
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 09:33:10 PM »
Next update:  Received two postcards today from sailors serving in the same unit as the Lt to whom I sent coffee, teabags, and snacks.  Entenmann's rocks with the military.  Both guys thanked me for sending them something that meant "home" to them.

If you live near a K-Mart, they've been selling the Little Bites boxes for $2 each (if you shop at Costco or equivalent you might even do better than that).  You can probably fit 4 of those packages in a #3 postal box along with some other stuff.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2007, 02:59:40 PM »
Must stop reading that anysoldier website....must stop reading that anysoldier website.....

I just read one of the soldier's description of where he is and what they're doing.  At one point, he said that they'd lost one of their people last week (this was posted several months ago) but that they were trying to hold up despite the loss.  The Christmas post he made described how he wasn't that far from where a Son was born and that the shepherds that he was seeing daily reminded him of the ones so long ago.

I'm sitting here tearing up now.  We've got to keep doing something for them.  We can't let them be over there and feel forgotten by us.

I need to do another box.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
I know how you feel.  I check that site several times a day.

I just sent 3 boxes from the post office near work; I have to say that the clerks there aren't as nice as the one in my home neighborhood's post office (who, besides that, looks like Richard Gere).  I don't like the way they don't put the customs form across a seam.

I sent 15 boxes of single-serving Lipton to Go powder to the same naval officer as the coffee package three weeks ago, instant soup to some medics in Afghanistan.  That's an Ob/Gyn facility, so the movies I sent were female-oriented, along with music videos of my two principes de amor.  The third box went to the marine corporal I've previously mentioned.  That has books, razors, Excedrine migraine, and some hygiene products.

My friend in North Carolina has a son-in-law who's stationed with some guys who don't get anything. I recommended she tell him about Anysoldier.com for them.

It gets to me, too, about how young some of them are.  It's scary.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2007, 03:43:20 PM »
Must stop reading that anysoldier website....must stop reading that anysoldier website.....

I just read one of the soldier's description of where he is and what they're doing.  At one point, he said that they'd lost one of their people last week (this was posted several months ago) but that they were trying to hold up despite the loss.  The Christmas post he made described how he wasn't that far from where a Son was born and that the shepherds that he was seeing daily reminded him of the ones so long ago.

I'm sitting here tearing up now.  We've got to keep doing something for them.  We can't let them be over there and feel forgotten by us.

I need to do another box.

Same here. It's tough to realize what they truly don't have over there.  :-\

For those of you who have been sending these care packages for a while, may I ask if you include long-ish letters to your troop, and if so, what you say in them (in a general sort of way - not asking for the exact letters or anything)?

I included letters in the two I've sent so far, telling the troops how much my husband and I appreciate them, and that we want to send them a piece of home and hope for their continued wellbeing...but I wonder if there's anything more specific they would like to hear. Any suggestions?

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2007, 05:18:48 PM »
Just tell them about you, your home, family or any funny stories. They welcome the distraction even if they don't know you at all.

Let them know that you don't expect them to become your new pen pal but if they want one, you are willing (if you are).

I know my husband liked getting pictures of the people that were sending him things and drawings from children (a friend had her daughter's class make him cards). I think it made him feel a little closer to home even if they were from strangers.
But it's never too late to correct the faults so many others made ~Midtown

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2007, 05:21:35 PM »
Farfalla, I've only been doing this for a month and my letters basically explain that I do this for their morale and because they do the job that I'm not qualified or too chicken to do.  I mention in first letters that my dad was Navy, my uncle Army, and my last beloved was a Marine (all of which is true) and, furthermore, that I was too immature at the time to ask my dad whether anyone sent packages to him during WWII.

I recently sent a couple of second letters, one of which provides a pop-culture update and a statement about the weather (for the Latina Marine who is from NJ).  The other one was short because I wanted to get out of here and back during lunch.

You might want to say something about recent movies or new TV shows.  In a package I'm sending this weekend I'm including Vanity Fair's Hollywood Issue, which will be catnip to the women on board that Navy ship, along with a couple of fashion magazines.

In the last three letters I included the backstage photo of me with my clients and Alejandro Fernandez.  That will mean something to the women who see the picture, since a disproportionate number of our military are Hispanic.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »
Everybody:

While Instant-Messaging with my friend in NC she told me that the field rations were MRE's, and now that I've read this and seen the photo I totally understand how our troops feel about food from home:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRE

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »
I am going to be filling up a box with soups, tuna and canned pastas and mailing it out soon!!!

My parents had to eat MRE's for a little while after Katrina, my mama and papa said there were not HORRIBLE, but it made them really appreciate a well cooked meal.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2007, 06:01:45 PM »
That progresso soup in the microwave container is starting to look better and better.  I wonder if they will fit in the flat-rate boxes?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2007, 08:16:05 PM »
I DID IT AGAIN.  DANG IT ALL!

I just read one from a guy who said that he has young men in his troop.  They've never been deployed before, so they're scared and lonely.  They'll be there at least a year.  He wants such basic things for them.

I got his address.  I'm going shopping again.  :)

Why do I keep reading the dang site?!!

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2007, 05:02:48 AM »
Everybody:

While Instant-Messaging with my friend in NC she told me that the field rations were MRE's, and now that I've read this and seen the photo I totally understand how our troops feel about food from home:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRE

My husband had been on some special training where they had to keep two whole boxes with them...Well, he didn't eat them all so he brought them home. Can I just say, ew, so glad I decided to just stay an Army wife.

Just the look of some of them scared me. The veggie lasagna looks um...I can't even think of a delicate way to put it. Of course the hubby just says that if you are hungry you will eat anything and that includes pouring the tabasco on the cardboard. Fiber...hehehe

Oh, just a tip that I'm not sure anyone has brought up....Sauces. Especially BBQ are welcomed with open arms.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2007, 08:27:55 AM »
Things like this make me wish for a car and a Costco card.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2007, 08:55:13 AM »
Thanks venus & itzwhouknow for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to putting together a couple more boxes soon.  ;D

My husband had been on some special training where they had to keep two whole boxes with them...Well, he didn't eat them all so he brought them home. Can I just say, ew, so glad I decided to just stay an Army wife.

Just the look of some of them scared me. The veggie lasagna looks um...I can't even think of a delicate way to put it. Of course the hubby just says that if you are hungry you will eat anything and that includes pouring the tabasco on the cardboard. Fiber...hehehe

Oh, just a tip that I'm not sure anyone has brought up....Sauces. Especially BBQ are welcomed with open arms.

I have to second this - an ex of mine was in the Navy and brought home a few MRE's from a training weekend once and they are just not pleasant at all. The eggs & ham breakfast version stands out in my mind in particular (think powdered yellowish looking things and something that looks nothing like ham). Just thinking about it makes me want to run back out to the store and buy a LOT more food items to send over.  :-\

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
I have sort of an advantage over all of you. I don't have to pay for shipping since I have an APO address so my boxes can be heavy and I don't have to worry. Plus, I can also go to the commissary and PX. It makes it a little easier to shop for adopted soldiers without breaking the bank.

This thread has me motivated again.

You know, spell check only works when you actually mess up a word. just leaving a letter out that still spells a word doesn't count..hehehe
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:00:03 AM by ItZWhoUKnow »

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 09:08:19 AM »
I have sort of an advantage over all of you. I don't have to pay for shipping since I have an APO address so my boxes can be heavy and I don't have to worry. Plus, I can also go to the commissary and PX. It makes it a little easier to shop for adopted soldiers without breaking the bank.

This thread has me motivated again.

That's wonderful! I just realized that my hubby can still shop on base....might have to look in to that!

A friend of mine who is also doing this has a husband overseas - she mentioned that one of the big favorite things to receive right now are the Crystal Light on the go packets (I think someone else may have mentioned buying these). Takes a bit of the edge off the canteen water when they aren't around the mess hall.