Author Topic: The Care Package Project -- an Update  (Read 29418 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: The Care Package Project -- an Update
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2007, 12:59:07 PM »
I personally love the CL Lemonade one and the Ruby Red Grapefruit, although I have never seen the latter in the On the Go form.  The tubs can be used for canteens and bottles if they can be evenly quartered.  I think half a plastic teaspoon does the job.

BTW, I haven't seen any requests for Brita pitchers or anything like them.  Does that mean that they are provided with the ability to filter their drinking water?

scooter2071

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2007, 01:31:28 PM »
You can also fill out the customs form online at USPS with Adobe and print it from home, if the package is under a certain weight.
 ;D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »
Which I would probably do if I had a scale, but thus far 20 of my 21 of my packages have exceeded that weight.

scooter2071

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2007, 01:34:53 PM »
I personally love the CL Lemonade one and the Ruby Red Grapefruit, although I have never seen the latter in the On the Go form.  The tubs can be used for canteens and bottles if they can be evenly quartered.  I think half a plastic teaspoon does the job.

BTW, I haven't seen any requests for Brita pitchers or anything like them.  Does that mean that they are provided with the ability to filter their drinking water?

When my husband was 'over there' he would stick to drinking the bottled water they provided. One of our friends who was over there ended up getting a parasite from the water reserve somehow and has a problem with her stomach that she now doesn't gain weight and lost 70 lbs, not sure the details but she will be on medication for life, was discharged from the army and is stick thin :(

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
I was going to ask this in a private message to one of you.  But, then I decided that it's probably something we all need the answer to, so I'm going to post it.  It's a delicate subject.

But, the MREs seem to cause constipation.  What kinds of things are y'all including (and, those of you with family members who've told you what to send, I especially want your perspective) to help with this?  Would you include a thing of fiber (like Metamucil)?  Or, should we be sending something oily to help make things "flow" better?  I hate to send laxatives, because they're not natural to the body, and I don't want our soldiers getting addicted to needing a laxative to go.

I don't want to err too much to where I'm sending them something that gives them diarrhea, either.  I want them to be balanced.

What do you recommend?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
I have to second this - an ex of mine was in the Navy and brought home a few MRE's from a training weekend once and they are just not pleasant at all. The eggs & ham breakfast version stands out in my mind in particular (think powdered yellowish looking things and something that looks nothing like ham). Just thinking about it makes me want to run back out to the store and buy a LOT more food items to send over.  :-\

Did he ever mention how long it takes stuff to get to a ship?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2007, 01:54:08 PM »
By the way, I have a suggestion for anyone who's thinking of sending something but doesn't have a lot of money right now.  Go to your pantry or bathroom cabinet and see what you have that's not been opened.  You're going to find a lot of things that you can send in your very own home.

(It's a long story as to why, but suffice it to say that) Earlier this week, I ran out of my prescription for acid reflux.  And, because of the timing, I can't reorder it until Feb 26 if I want insurance to pay for it - and, it's very expensive, so I do.  After suffering for several days with horrible indigestion and reflux, a pharmacist said that I should go ahead and at least give Prilosec OTC a try until I can get my real stuff.  The box I bought had two, sealed inner boxes of the med.

Last night, I was drying my hair.  I looked at the box of Prilosec that I'm taking and thought, "Wait a minute.  The other box isn't opened yet.  I could include it in my package."  I had this internal conversation with myself that went something like this:

Rational Me: Include it in the box!
Selfish Me: But, what if I need it!
RM: But, this one's unopened, and someone there might be really needing something for indigestion!
SM: But, if I need it, I'd have to go all the way back to the store [that's maybe a mile from my home] to get some more!
RM: !
SM (hanging her head): Got it.  Including it in the box.

So, then I went to my pantry and found tons of soups and stuff that can go as well.  If I find that I actually wanted that item after all, I can always get more from the store.  Our soldiers don't have that luxury.

Also found some personal wipes that weren't opened in my bathroom.

Heck, I can go "shopping" in my own home and never have to spend a cent!

(One thing that I did remember just in time, though.  I had a can of Campbells' Bean with Bacon soup packed up.  Wasn't until I was in bed that I thought, "Bean with BACON?!  I can't send that over there!" :D)

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »
Venus - unfortunately no. He was a seabee and therefore never on a ship. I tried looking around on the internet but didn't find anything helpful.

Dotty - I think I would stick to something like Benefiber, Metamucil, or even a bottle of wheat germ that can be added to other foods. Also, thanks for this:

Last night, I was drying my hair.  I looked at the box of Prilosec that I'm taking and thought, "Wait a minute.  The other box isn't opened yet.  I could include it in my package."  I had this internal conversation with myself that went something like this:

Rational Me: Include it in the box!
Selfish Me: But, what if I need it!
RM: But, this one's unopened, and someone there might be really needing something for indigestion!
SM: But, if I need it, I'd have to go all the way back to the store [that's maybe a mile from my home] to get some more!
RM: !
SM (hanging her head): Got it.  Including it in the box.

Made me laugh, plus I've been having the same internal argument over parting with some of my books (for the aforementioned Afghanistan project). Buying more - no problem. Parting with some of my own (even the ones I know I'll never read again!), more difficult. Time to get over it. :P

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »
(It's a long story as to why, but suffice it to say that) Earlier this week, I ran out of my prescription for acid reflux.  And, because of the timing, I can't reorder it until Feb 26 if I want insurance to pay for it - and, it's very expensive, so I do.  After suffering for several days with horrible indigestion and reflux, a pharmacist said that I should go ahead and at least give Prilosec OTC a try until I can get my real stuff.  The box I bought had two, sealed inner boxes of the med.

Last night, I was drying my hair.  I looked at the box of Prilosec that I'm taking and thought, "Wait a minute.  The other box isn't opened yet.  I could include it in my package."  

Do you ever have this really weird feeling that things are happening for a reason beyond your control?

Part of the "long story" mentioned above is that I called my doctor about the need for more of my med on Monday.  They have a 24-48 delay in getting back to you when you call.  But, this doctor decided not to get back to me even within the 24-48 hour window.  So, by Wednesday, I was really suffering with the heartburn and indigestion.  That's the day I finally got the Prilosec OTC to see if it'd tide me over.

I've been LIVID at my doctor for not getting back with me all week.  First of all, I'd said on MONDAY in the message I'd left that I was really hurting and that this was an unusual situation.  I know about their "window" of calling back, but I needed help with this med today.  I even called back that afternoon to reiterate that this was something I needed to discuss with the doctor THAT DAY.

Wednesday, I left another frantic message saying that I was REALLY hurting by then and that I needed to talk to them.

Today, I finally got in touch with the nurse.  She said, "Of course we'll help you!  I'm going to give you some samples until you're able to reorder with the pharmacy.  I'll do XYX and ABC to help you."  It was like there wasn't a problem at all.

So, now I'm wondering if God was trying to get me to have indigestion  badly enough that I knew what it was like to not have medication for it, so I'd know how one of our soldiers is feeling right now.  I'd have to buy this double box of Prilosec OTC and have an extra, unopened box that I can send over there that's going to get into the hands of some person who really, really needs it right now.

I don't know.  Somehow, I'm seeing some Heavenly fingerprints on this one.  Things just worked out so weirdly with this - between the not getting a call back until I bought an over-the-counter med to the knowing how painful it is to not have the med to having everything work out now in the end.  It's kind of weird - in a good way!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
The unopened stuff is a good move; I had some sugary cocoa and cappuccino cooler mixes I never opened and now should not use, so they were sent to a Marine.  I'm sure those Hazelnut Cappuccino things will appeal to the females in his group. 

Powdered Gatorade probably appeals to most male soldiers.  Before I read that site I didn't even know such a thing existed.

IMissItaly

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2007, 08:44:39 AM »
Hi, I'm a retired Sailor, and have been on both the receiving and sending end of getting packages while deployed. Recently I sent packages to a ship stationed off the Horn of Africa and they arrived within several weeks of mailing. I also was the main cookie supplier to some men in Afghanistan (who are now, thankfully, home) and those packages also seemed to take about two weeks to arrive.

This is a great thread and all of you have inspired me to get back into the care package business!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2007, 09:47:52 AM »
I've sent some stuff to Afghanistan, but haven't heard back from any of the recipients there (the last package went last week, though).  I hope they are all OK.

As soon as I log off in a few minutes I will be closing up two boxes for a Navy ship.  The ship has a 50-man crew that's 50% female.  One box contains the entire James Bond DVD collection.  This package will be insured.  I'm also sending toiletries, magazines, and paperbacks.

Next weekend I will probably send more Entenmann's, since my Navy group in Kuwait loves them. 

If you have any special advice about what to send sailors, please share!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2007, 10:00:25 PM »
Dotty, I just read your post about fiber and probably the best thing would be Triscuit crackers.  They're good fiber, they taste good, and there are a few different flavors.  I eat lots of those myself.

IMissItaly

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2007, 11:45:38 AM »
Regarding care packages for Sailors at sea: Unlike their brethren on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan, Sailors are pretty well cared for while underway. They get three hot meals a day, they have access to clean water and they can shop in the "ship's store" where they can purchase personal hygiene items and snacks. The stores are usually pretty well stocked (due to underway replenishment). Most women will purchase a six month supply of the things they prefer to use for personal hygiene, as the store only supplies certain brands (and there are restrictions on some items, such as things that will leave plastic waste).

That being said, I usually brought food items such as Kraft Easy Mac, Lipton Cup of Soup, and peanut butter and crackers for those days when I just couldn't face another meal from the galley.

Any items you send will be greatly appreciated. Usually the Sailors bring DVDs or VHS tapes with them, but after several months, they get old (there are only so many times that you can watch "Grease"!), so new movies are a big deal. Also magazines are in great demand, as well as Victoria's Secrets catalogs - even the guys fight over those.

Cookies are always welcome, although I've noticed that sending home baked goods was discouraged unless you actually know the person to whom you're sending.

Believe me, anything you put in the package will create smiles. Thanks again for supporting our troops!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
The MWR officer who posted asked about shower gels and stuff, so I sent some.  If I had known the content of your post I would have sent something different, but I suspect that 6 bottles of mint shower gel will be very welcome when it starts to get hot there.

The rest of the stuff I sent was:  Bath poufs, men's deodorant, neon-colored pens (art supplies were requested), 8 paperbacks, 10 magazines, and the James Bond movie collection.  I hope they enjoy them.

I am awaiting arrival of the complete Highlander TV series on DVD (purchased at half price).   I am trying to decide which group will get that hot item.

If I had a relative in the military and was into baking, I'd send enough for the whole crew.  However, having received three very eloquent postcards from sailors in Kuwait telling how much they loved Entenmann's Little Bites, I'll gladly send more of those.