News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 12:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vegetarian Gumbo  (Read 1288 times)

nolechica

Vegetarian Gumbo
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:09:24 AM »
It's Mardi Gras time again and I'm ready for some Cajun food.  Unfortunately, one of my guests this year is a veggie so chicken and sausage gumbo won't work.  If anyone has any veggie gumbo recipes without greens and mushrooms, I'd love to see it.  Thanks.

blarg314

Re: Vegetarian Gumbo
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if it is vegetarian, it may be a very nice soup, but it's *not* gumbo - it's just not the same without lard.

nolechica

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if it is vegetarian, it may be a very nice soup, but it's *not* gumbo - it's just not the same without lard.

I've never used a recipe with lard, or found one either.

blarg314

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »

The lard goes into making the roux - you cook the lard and flour very slowly over low heat until it turns dark mahogany brown. It won't work properly with non animal fats like margerine or oil.

nolechica

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »

The lard goes into making the roux - you cook the lard and flour very slowly over low heat until it turns dark mahogany brown. It won't work properly with non animal fats like margerine or oil.

Thanks for the tip, my roux-making skills need work.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »
Vegetarian Louisiana Gumbo Recipe #250383

8 servings
 35 min 25 min prep
Roux
2  tablespoons olive oil 
1  tablespoon instant minced garlic (not flakes) 
2  tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour 
1  cup vegetable broth (or vegetarian chicken broth if you can find it) 
1  teaspoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce 
Gumbo
5  garlic cloves, minced 
1 1/2  cups red onions, chopped 
1  large green bell pepper, chopped 
12  ounces fresh okra, sliced 
1 (11 1/4  ounce) package vegetarian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch long slices 
1 (8  ounce) package chicken seitan strips 
1/3  cup dry sherry 
2 (14 1/2  ounce) cans stewed tomatoes 
1  cup vegetable broth (or vegetarian chicken broth) 
1  teaspoon dried thyme 
1  teaspoon dried coriander 
1/2  teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or more if you like it spicy) 

To make Roux: In medium-sized, heavy-gauge saucepan, heat oil and garlic over medium heat, about 1 minute. Avoid browning garlic. Whisk in flour and increase heat to medium-high. Whisk continuously, and when paste begins to darken, add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to whisk as roux thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
To make Gumbo: Spray 5-quart saucepan with nonstick cooking spray or wipe down with olive oil. Heat saucepan over medium-high heat and add garlic, onion, and pepper. Sauté 3 minutes, and add okra. Cook 5 minutes, and add vegetarian links and seitan. Cook mixture 8 minutes, stirring often. Add sherry.
Add ¾ cup broth to pan. Place tomatoes in food processor, and pulse to chop coarsely. Add tomatoes to broth. Whisk remaining ¼ cup broth into roux, and stir mixture into gumbo. Add thyme, coriander, and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and serve.

nolechica

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas, I found a recipe that used beans instead of meat.