Author Topic: Go away, little girl  (Read 15825 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Go away, little girl
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »
Last night I was at a local pizza place with my kids and a couple of their friends.  A little girl, maybe 5 years old, comes over and starts asking me for money for the arcade games.  I tell her no many times.  I also tell her that if she wants money she should ask her mom or whoever she came with.  So her next move was to disappear for a minute, returning to tell me that her mom says it's OK for me to give her money.  ::)  I'll give her points for cleverness, but subtract a few for sheer annoying-ness. How does one get a pest like this to go away?  I did find her mother and mention it to her, but she seemed disinclined to do anything.

princess91765

• A royal pain...
Re: Go away, little girl
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 01:38:36 PM »
Oh my goodness! I would be mortified if my son pulled something like this! That is so annoying.

magiccat26

• Goddess in training!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 01:51:04 PM »
Oh wow.  I'm just speechless.   :o  Kitten is 5 and let me tell you, if she ever attempted a stunt like that she would be in B.I.G. Trouble.

Whenever I am confronted by a child like this (when I pick Kitten up, it has become a problem), I will usually give them the "hairy eyeball" and say, "I'm trying to speak with Kitten, would you please leave us alone?"  It works about 70% of the time.
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. Catherine Aird

AprilRenee

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »
after the first or second time I think I would put on my "mean face" and tell her to "go find your mom and DO NOT come back to this table"

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:56:52 PM »
Tell the manager this child is disturbing you.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »
SneakyandevilTrishlovesdolphins would have said ok, but only if you gave the money to her mom, then, followed her to her mom and told her mom to take care of the problem.

leapbride

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:03:15 PM »
Leapgroom and I were at a restaurant, sitting in a booth, when I looked over to see a child, that I know belonged to the family directly behind me, sitting on the very edge of our booth seat.  Took me telling her TWICE that she needed to go sit with her mommy, before her mother, again, sitting directly behind me, did anything. 

sbagirl

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 09:43:55 AM »
DH and I were in the arcade building at a small amusement park a few years ago when two small children (a boy about 8 and a girl about 6) came up and asked us for money to play games.  We of course said No, please go back to your adult.  They asked again, we gave the same answer.  I then went over to the arcade manager and pointed out that these small kids were clearly unattended (it was a small building and we could see that there were no other customers in there) and were asking us for money.  He said hed keep an eye on them. 

A short time later, I saw these same two kids with a man.  I asked him if he was their father.  He said No, Im their uncle.  Is there a problem?  I told him that theyd asked us for money in the arcade, that I thought that was a very dangerous thing for them to be doing, and I felt he should know.  He said it was no big deal, they only ask for money from people they know (!?!).  I told him that was obviously NOT the case since they had asked US for money twice and they certainly did not know us.  He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. 

Shortcake

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »
DH and I were in the arcade building at a small amusement park a few years ago when two small children (a boy about 8 and a girl about 6) came up and asked us for money to play games.  We of course said No, please go back to your adult.  They asked again, we gave the same answer.  I then went over to the arcade manager and pointed out that these small kids were clearly unattended (it was a small building and we could see that there were no other customers in there) and were asking us for money.  He said hed keep an eye on them. 

A short time later, I saw these same two kids with a man.  I asked him if he was their father.  He said No, Im their uncle.  Is there a problem?  I told him that theyd asked us for money in the arcade, that I thought that was a very dangerous thing for them to be doing, and I felt he should know.  He said it was no big deal, they only ask for money from people they know (!?!).  I told him that was obviously NOT the case since they had asked US for money twice and they certainly did not know us.  He just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. 

:o  :o  :o

Words escape me!!!!!!!!!!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Katia144

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:07:27 PM »
Well DUH, sbagirl....don'tcha know, you were there and they were there and clearly that made you their babysitters and of COURSE you should've given them money!  *eye roll*

Some people seriously think this way.

Marleigh

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »
This happened to me in Mexico...eating at a restaurant with two Mexican coworkers, a little boy of about 10 approached us and asked for a "peso".  My friends refused (wisdom and experience).  I told him I had no pesos, which was true.  He then asked, "Dollar?"  Since I had this image of a poor, impoverished little boy in my mind and 3 $1 bills in my purse, I gave him one.  Then, lo and behold, he disappeared and returned a couple of minutes later with 2 of his friends, who also wanted "one dollar".  That's where I drew the line.

Minmom3

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 07:16:02 PM »
Last night I was at a local pizza place with my kids and a couple of their friends.  A little girl, maybe 5 years old, comes over and starts asking me for money for the arcade games.  I tell her no many times.  I also tell her that if she wants money she should ask her mom or whoever she came with.  So her next move was to disappear for a minute, returning to tell me that her mom says it's OK for me to give her money.  ::)  I'll give her points for cleverness, but subtract a few for sheer annoying-ness. How does one get a pest like this to go away?  I did find her mother and mention it to her, but she seemed disinclined to do anything.

DD#2 walked out of the house (inside our condo complex) one day and knocked on someone else's door and said "I'm hungry and there's no food at home.  Will you feed me?"  He gave her a pb&j sandwich...  She was about 4 or 5 at the time.   :o

We had, needless to say, PLENTY of dang food in the house.  It may have been between meals and I refused to let her snack on something (it's too many years ago to remember).  I will NEVER let her live it down.   ;)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:24 PM »
DD#2 walked out of the house (inside our condo complex) one day and knocked on someone else's door and said "I'm hungry and there's no food at home.  Will you feed me?"  He gave her a pb&j sandwich...  She was about 4 or 5 at the time.   :o

We had, needless to say, PLENTY of dang food in the house.  It may have been between meals and I refused to let her snack on something (it's too many years ago to remember).  I will NEVER let her live it down.   ;)

That is hilarious!

As for the OP ... ugh. Sounds as if the mother didn't want to be bothered.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

CyberKat

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »
It's things like this that makes !EvilKat wish to just dump some soda on the kid, and when their angry parents comes back to ask why I dumped soda on their widdle pwecious, I'd reply "Well you better keep your child away from strangers then, you never know what they might do!"

But that would be mean to the child, it's not their fault their parents are negligent. Besides, some angry parent would probably kill me  ::)

littleoats

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
A kid gets one free pass in that situation.  If they don't clear off I say "I eat annoying children for breakfast"  That gets rid of them.