Author Topic: Go away, little girl  (Read 15833 times)

FunkyMunky

Re: Go away, little girl
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 01:53:34 AM »

I had to rush home to post this - DF and I were eating at a restaurant this weekend, and a small child was going around all the diners asking for money. The wait staff asked the parents twice to control their child. They took him back to the table, then let him loose again, no stern words exchanged.

He finally came over to us, DF opens his wallet, takes out a prophylactic and hands it to the child. Child runs over to parents to ask what it is. Parents keep tighter reign on child afterwards. :)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 02:07:16 AM »

I had to rush home to post this - DF and I were eating at a restaurant this weekend, and a small child was going around all the diners asking for money. The wait staff asked the parents twice to control their child. They took him back to the table, then let him loose again, no stern words exchanged.

He finally came over to us, DF opens his wallet, takes out a prophylactic and hands it to the child. Child runs over to parents to ask what it is. Parents keep tighter reign on child afterwards. :)

That's the awesomest thing I've heard all day.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
ohhhh great one -  even better if he would tell her it was a balloon....ask Daddy to blow it up for you....

(you all have been baaaaaddd influence on me)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

FunkyMunky

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »

I was amused at the dual message it contained -a) keep your child away from strangers, it might not be safe, and b) perhaps you might consider trying these?

mmorrisette

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 12:48:19 PM »

That's the awesomest thing I've heard all day.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!  I second that--that is the awesomest thing I've heard all day!!  ;D

Niona

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 03:40:33 PM »

Oh, that is quite wonderfully evil! I love that!

nliedel

• In my dreams, I'm a Goddess!
  • busy, as always
    • Goat Rodeo Fiber Fiesta
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »

DD#2 walked out of the house (inside our condo complex) one day and knocked on someone else's door and said "I'm hungry and there's no food at home.  Will you feed me?"  He gave her a pb&j sandwich...  She was about 4 or 5 at the time.   :o

We had, needless to say, PLENTY of dang food in the house.  It may have been between meals and I refused to let her snack on something (it's too many years ago to remember).  I will NEVER let her live it down.   ;)

Are you raising my son in a dress? He told our neighbor (he was playing with his kids) that he'd not eaten all day at 6pm. The neighbor called me, wondering what was up. I felt like hauling the peanut butter sandwich remnents, the dirty cereals dishes (plural) and the mac and cheese box he'd gourged on all day with me when I went over there and busted his butt for lying. His excuse? The neighbor's kids had pizza. He did not get to stay, did not get pizza and missed an overnight visit because of his claims. Little goon.
Fiber artist, writer, belly dancer. Four boys and a husband of twenty years. I'm happy

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:13 PM »
"But I'm a kid - I have no sense of time! It feels like I haven't eaten all day!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

chariset

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 08:10:49 PM »
That's appalling.  My mother would have skinned me alive if I'd approached strangers and asked them for money.  (I guess if they can mooch off of strangers, their parents don't have to finance their Mortal Kombat habit?)

The worst I have to deal with is Girl Scouts in the lobby/near the entrance of the grocery store, peddling their delicious high-calories wares.

BethanyAnne

• "It's like teaching Lincoln to use an Iphone."
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 08:18:03 PM »

Wow :o It's sad that it takes something like that to get some parents to watch their children.

chariset

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 01:40:03 AM »

I just now noticed this.  That is poetry, and an excellent display of quick wit by said fiance!

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 02:21:54 AM »
I have an acquaintance who runs parenting/effective discipline courses.  I have a few of his business cards in my purse to give to people if they ask for his details.  If this ever happens to me, I think I'll just give the child one of his cards and tell them to give it to their parents.

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »

Good tactic.  It would certainly scare me...if I were fool enough to let my kid run around unsupervised.

But I'm already paranoid. ;)

I have an acquaintance who runs parenting/effective discipline courses.  I have a few of his business cards in my purse to give to people if they ask for his details.  If this ever happens to me, I think I'll just give the child one of his cards and tell them to give it to their parents.

Short, direct, and to the point.  Reminds me of that Dilbert book about manners--the panel where the offended restaurant guest sends to the parents of the screaming baby: "Champagne and a vasectomy, courtesy of the gentleman at Table 6."
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

bms2000

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »

Holy Deities, don't DO that! I nearly had to call 911 because I snorted coffee through all my airways at the same time.

;D

FunkyMunky

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 04:34:05 AM »

Holy Deities, don't DO that! I nearly had to call 911 because I snorted coffee through all my airways at the same time.

;D

My sincerest apologies to your airways.