Author Topic: Go away, little girl  (Read 15617 times)

MrsO

• Super Hero!
Re: Go away, little girl
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 04:42:54 AM »
 :-[ OK, confession time...
We were at a soft play centre with some kids from DDs nursery school a few weeks ago, celebrating the birthday of one of her friends. It's really secure, and the kids all just run round the place playing while parents keep an eye on them. I was chatting to one of the other mums (DDs best friends mum) when we looked over and saw DD and DDs BF sitting in a little pay-to-ride car, asking a man for money to make it go!  :o  :-[ . Me and DDs BFs mum almost died of embarrassment and they both got a stern telling off. DD will never do it again. They're 4, by the way.
But, yep. I'm still mortified over it.

Double Helix

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »
I've been asked for money from children before in arcades.   I'm realizing that they just don't understand the concept of only asking their own adult for money, and it's okay to explain this to the little ones.

Mrs. Pilgrim

• I use cleaning for therapy. The carpets don't brag about needing cleaning, and the dishes don't diss me.
  • I love waffles--but only the food kind.
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »
I've been asked for money from children before in arcades.   I'm realizing that they just don't understand the concept of only asking their own adult for money, and it's okay to explain this to the little ones.

This is true of tiny little ones barely able to form the words.  It still doesn't obviate the parents' responsibility to monitor their children.

However, you also have the eight-year-old kids whom you invite into your house (this is a true story; I would occasionally try to mentor a neighbor's child), and who then start asking for everything they see.

"Can I have your PlayStation?"
"No, dear."
"But you've got two."
"No, I have one.  The other one is an old Super NES."
"That isn't fair."
"The Super NES can't help being what it is."
"Can I BORROW your PlayStation?"
"No, dear."
"Can I just use your PlayStation on my TV for a little while?"
"No, dear."
(silence while bean-dip diversion is applied)
"Can I borrow your PlayStation?"
"Oh, look at the time; your mother will be missing you..."
"Use the proper word, not its second cousin." --Mark Twain, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses

Stormtreader

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 06:57:59 AM »
"What toys do YOU have?"
"I have a Bike and an Xbox and an IPod..."
"Well, I dont have an IPod, that doesnt seem fair. Can I have yours?"

CutebutPsycho

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 04:48:46 PM »
"No, I have one.  The other one is an old Super NES."
"That isn't fair."
"The Super NES can't help being what it is."

Pepsi, meet sinus cavity!  ;D
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/

quiet_you

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
Many years ago, my church youth group went to the county fair. I bought some tickets for myself to ride rides, etc., and after a while I got bored with it and my friends and I just started wandering around. One of the little boys in our group (he was about 10) ran up to talk to his sister, whom I was friends with. I had probably 10 tickets left, I wasn't going to use them, so I said, "Hey, do you want these?"

"Sure!" he said, and ran off.

A little while later, I was standing in line for a drink, and he ran up to me again. "Do you have any more of those tickets?"

"No," I said.

"Can I have some money to buy some?"

"No."