Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Ham. Ham. And more ham.

(1/3) > >>

DottyG:
When I was at the grocery store the other day, they were having a sale on hams.  For those of you who know HEB - it was the "Fully Cooked" line.  I got the smallest one they had, but it was still quite large - as I found out last night when I heated it up! :D

So, I now have ham.  Lots of ham!  I had some last night for supper.  And, I'm now eating a ham sandwich for lunch (just a basic one - bread, ham and mustard).

I'm going to use the bone for some beans - of course!  I'm a Southern female; what else would I do?!

But, what do I do with all this ham I have now?  I need recipes (easy ones) that will help me use this up before it goes bad.

How do you make ham salad, for instance?  Any good recipes out there?

What else can I do that'd be tasty - but not expensive or time-consuming?

MDefarge:
I love ham chopped up and tossed in with Macaroni and Cheese - either homemade or the boxed stuff.

Rei-chan:

My Mom used to make ham salad that was fantastic!  I went and dug up her old recipe box and here's what I came up with:

Ham Salad Sandwich Filling

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup ground ham
1 tablespoon minced green pepper OR 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons yellow OR dijon mustard

Blend well and serve on white or rye bread.

I have always used pickle relish and dijon mustard personally, and it came out great.  The recipe box is a little unorganized (I think it tumbled around after our last move) but I will look through it and post more if I find anything.  My Mom was a great cook, and I am glad to be able to share her recipes somewhere!  Hope you find a use for all that ham!   :)

sillysquirrel:
I use ham in my breakfast casserole.

grease a regular size (9x11??) casserole dish.

1-2 cups cooked ham
1 bag frozen hasbrowns, diced or shredded
1 can mushrooms (not required)
1 cup cheese (I like colby jack)
mix in the casserole dish.

In a bowl mix together:
3/4 cup Bisquick mix
2 eggs
1 cup milk
Pour this mixture in the casserole dish and bake,
at 400 for 45 minutes.

For a healther recipe use Bisquick reduced-fat, egg beater, and skim milk.

White Dragon:
According to my cookbook, the definition of eternity is "two people and a ham".

We make "ham a-la king". Not fancy, but it works.

Make a basic white sauce (butter, flour, milk)
Or, open a can of Alfredo sauce.

Dice:
pepper
onion
mushroom
tomato
celery
(any vegetable you like)
plus a cup or so of ham.

Mix with sauce and serve over linquine or other pasta.

Another thing we do is dice up the ham into measured amounts ( 1 or 2 cups) and freeze it. They can be used in soup, omlettes, a-la king etc. We mix it with leftover diced chicken for jambalaya too.
Need to whip up some ham pate for that party? Defrost some diced ham and carry on!

St Monica

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version