News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 09:40:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Exchange!  (Read 1479 times)

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Exchange!
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »
Okay, let's hear which recipe you favor for chocolate chip cookies!

I used to use tollhouse, but then I tried Alton Brown's "chewy" modification of that recipe.  It wasn't chewy enough.  So... I made some changes and I think they really work!  I've made this recipe a few times now and so far my family has said they love them better than the original recipe.  These don't get hard even after a couple days.

1 cup of butter, melted
1 1/2 cups minus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon light colored honey
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

Mix like every other cookie recipe and use a scoop for even sized cookies on parchment paper lined pans.  Bake 375 for 9-10 minutes.

What about everyone else?   Which recipe do you love and why?

cicero

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Exchange!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:37:50 AM »
hope it's ok to post from a different site: here is the famous neiman marcus cookie from their official site. I never make cookies - if i bake it's cakes, bars or muffins. but a few weeks ago, before i left my job, i had planned a farewell party for the entire organization (about 100 people usually show up for these parties) so i decided to make choc chip cookies. i made 70 cookies about 2 weeks before the party and put them in the freezer and gave strict instructions to DS and myself not to eat them. ha ha ha. so we finished the 70 cookies. to be honest = they were good but not amazingly great. i prefer the softer kind.

Neiman Marcus famous 250$ cookies
============================

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1.    Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2.    Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3.    In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4.    Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

Yield:      2 dozen cookies

note:
I doubled the recipe and made them small so i got 70 bite sized cookies.
i didn't add espresso powder.
i added some cocoa to half the dough and made some choc. choc. chip cookies
i added different choc. chunks to different parts of the dough - some white choc. some dark some milk
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/service/nm_cookie_recipe.jhtml

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Murphy

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 04:12:32 AM »
You're recipe sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it out.

The following isn't technically chocolate chip as there's additional 'surprises' in the mixture. The end result is a tasty cookie that's crispy on the outside but chewy in the middle.

Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla (I put extra in)
1 egg
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cream the butter and sugars.
3. Add in the peanut butter, vanilla and egg. Stir well
4. Add in the flour and baking soda.
5. Stir through the oats and chocolate chips.
6. Drop onto baking sheets and cook for 12 minutes.

lohrewok

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 09:10:34 AM »
Okay, let's hear which recipe you favor for chocolate chip cookies!

I used to use tollhouse, but then I tried Alton Brown's "chewy" modification of that recipe.  It wasn't chewy enough.  So... I made some changes and I think they really work!  I've made this recipe a few times now and so far my family has said they love them better than the original recipe.  These don't get hard even after a couple days.

1 cup of butter, melted
1 1/2 cups minus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon light colored honey
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips

Mix like every other cookie recipe and use a scoop for even sized cookies on parchment paper lined pans.  Bake 375 for 9-10 minutes.

What about everyone else?   Which recipe do you love and why?

I have been searching for years! for a good chewy cookie.  I tried the Alton Brown chewy and it still didn't turn out right.  So, (big sigh) I'm going to try your cookies this weekend.  There isn't any white sugar in your recipe, correct?  lohr mumbles to herself as she wanders off to the kitchen..

jimithing

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »
This recipe is from Allrecipes.  You use a package of vanilla pudding in it, and it truly makes the cookies really soft.

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

jais

• Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »
Can I say I like the Nestle recipe?  I think it's pretty tried and true, EXCEPT, I like to add an extra cups of a contrasting chocolate chip.  Such as 1 cup of milk chocolate or white chocolate with the normal semi-sweet.

I'm dying to try the recipe with the pudding.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »
This recipe is from Allrecipes.  You use a package of vanilla pudding in it, and it truly makes the cookies really soft.

INGREDIENTS
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

That's our favorite recipe as well.  I've thought of trying other pudding flavors, but I don't want to risk compromising the greatness.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »
Can I say I like the Nestle recipe?  I think it's pretty tried and true, EXCEPT, I like to add an extra cups of a contrasting chocolate chip.  Such as 1 cup of milk chocolate or white chocolate with the normal semi-sweet.

For a while, Nestle was selling swirled chips (semisweet swirled with white chocolate, caramel, etc).  Those were pretty good. 

I usually make the Nestle Tollhouse recipe, too.  I've never had any complaints.  ;)