Author Topic: Chipotle powder?  (Read 1929 times)

orsuela

Chipotle powder?
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »
I have a recipe that calls for chipotle powder and white pepper.  Where can I get these??  I've looked at the superstores, but haven't found them.  Does anyone know the name of an online spice store?
Thank you!

orsuela

Re: Chipotle powder?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »
No specialty stores, but I am living in Latin America right now...  I'll check out the penzey's site, looks promising.  Thank you.

Psykogrl

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
You may be able to just used ground up dried chipotle peppers. They shouldn't be too hard to find, just make sure to cut off the stem end, and shake out the seeds because they could be bitter after their ground. You can grind them in a food processor, a coffee grinder or even a mortar and pestle. Hope that helps :)

orsuela

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:25:40 PM »
I thought about that, but my husband has banned me from his coffee grinder since the "clove" incident, (they left some oil in there) I think chipotle peppers might taste a little worse than cloves!  I might just try the blender.
The penzey's sight was great, they did have it!  Thank you guys...

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
The Knorr company makes chipotle-flavored MiniCubos that you can crumble.  They're the size of small bouillon cubes.

Minmom3

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:47:10 AM »
I thought about that, but my husband has banned me from his coffee grinder since the "clove" incident, (they left some oil in there) I think chipotle peppers might taste a little worse than cloves!  I might just try the blender.
The penzey's sight was great, they did have it!  Thank you guys...

Have you tried cleaning out the grinder with white rice?  Put a teaspoon or so in there, and grind to powder.  Tap it all out.  Do it again about 3 times, and the ginder should be all sparkly white and free of 'foreign' oils once again.

We do this at home, as we have one grinder, 2 different kinds of coffee and a DH who loves to grind his own spices....  That grinder gets a LOT of use!   ;)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 08:32:40 PM »
"The SPice Hunter" brand spices makes a chipotle powder.  They're available in a lot of grocery stores and at World Market.   They also make white pepper.

But, since chipotles are dried, anyway, I would go with the suggestion to just grind it fresh yourself.