News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 08:36:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cookies from cake mix.  (Read 1787 times)

IndianInlaw

Cookies from cake mix.
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
Anyone have a recipe?

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
Re: Cookies from cake mix.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
I've only tried this once. Everyone else liked it, but they weren't my cup of tea. A little thick & chewy for my tastes.

Quick Chocolate Softies:
1 package (18.25 ounces) devils food choc. cake mix
1/3 C. water
1/4 C. softened butter/marg.
1 egg
1 C. vanilla baking chips (opt)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (opt)

Preheat over to 350 & lightly grease baking sheets

combine cake mix, water, butter & egg. beat w/ electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Scrape bowl & beat 1 min at med speed. Scrape again & add chips & nuts. Dough will be very thick

drop heaping teasponnsful 2 inches apart

bake 10-12 min, let stand on sheet for 1 minute before moving to cooling racks

Working the dough was the toughest part, because it does get thick at the end. You can make bigger cookies by dropping bigger spoonfuls and seperating them more.

Let me know how it turns out if you try it  :)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
This advice may well be outdated and useless, since I haven't done this in so long, but just in case...  The chocolate chips you buy at Aldi (their house brand) used to have a cake mix cookie recipe on them, and may still have it.  They're not my favorite, but they were always quite popular when I made them.  They're even better if you use chocolate cake mix instead of yellow.

You could always just buy cookie mix, couldn't you?

Ant V

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
I used to do it a lot and don't remember that I used a recipe.  I followed the directions for the cake but just used less liquid so the batter was cookie dough consistency.  Most of the time I used KrustEaz cake mix, chocolate. 

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:34 AM »
LeRoy Bars

Ingredients

1 box Duncan Hines cake mix - use any flavor you want
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 box XXXX sugar
1 8 oz. bar of cream cheese
5 eggs

Directions

Mix nuts, cake mix, and one egg in a bowl then pour in melted butter. Mix well until it shapes into a large dough ball. Press
firmly into bottom of 9” x 13” baking pan.

Put sugar, cream cheese and four remaining eggs into a bowl. Beat with a mixer until smooth and creamy (no lumps). Pour
over cake mixture.

Bake for one hour at 325 degrees if you’re using a glass baking dish or at 350 degrees if using a metal baking pan. Bake
more if needed until golden brown. Cool completely, for 1-2 hours. Slice into bite-size bars - makes approximately 40 bars.

---------------------------

And here's one from GotSquatch using chocolate cake mix:

Super easy Double chocolate chip cookies

ch1pch0p

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Very quick and easy. I always have the ingredients on hand.

Any flavor cake mix.
One 8 ounce container Cool Whip
One egg

Mix together till incorporated.

Roll into balls. (Will be VERY sticky)

Roll in powdered sugar.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

Very soft and chewy cookies.

*you can mix it up by using "fruity" cake mixes, adding in chocolate chips or nuts, and/or glazing with icing when cooled!

mama1980

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:48:14 PM »
My favorite, it's quick, easy and can be changed around.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 package (18 oz) any brand, Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix cake mix, oil and eggs together. Stir in chocolate Chips. Drop by teaspoon on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen cookies, small balls of dough are best, too large and they look strange.

I had done some experimenting with this recipe and even cheap mixes work well. Some you may have to decrease the amount of oil, but if the batter seems too oily pop the bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so. I've tried white cake with candied fruit, yellow cake with mm's, german chocolate cake with half cup coconut and half cup chocolate chips.

I have found that lining your cookie sheets with parchment paper will keep your devil's food cookies from burning. Plus a lot less clean up later.

I must have made over 50 dozen cookies during the holidays. My co-workers can't wait for me to retire as I'm always bringing cookies, cakes and pies. The other day a couple of them were talking that they can't start a diet until I retire.
Live to Ride, Ride to Live

ch1pch0p

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 08:59:23 AM »
My favorite, it's quick, easy and can be changed around.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 package (18 oz) any brand, Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 eggs
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix cake mix, oil and eggs together. Stir in chocolate Chips. Drop by teaspoon on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen cookies, small balls of dough are best, too large and they look strange.

I had done some experimenting with this recipe and even cheap mixes work well. Some you may have to decrease the amount of oil, but if the batter seems too oily pop the bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so. I've tried white cake with candied fruit, yellow cake with mm's, german chocolate cake with half cup coconut and half cup chocolate chips.

I have found that lining your cookie sheets with parchment paper will keep your devil's food cookies from burning. Plus a lot less clean up later.

I must have made over 50 dozen cookies during the holidays. My co-workers can't wait for me to retire as I'm always bringing cookies, cakes and pies. The other day a couple of them were talking that they can't start a diet until I retire.

This is the same basic recipe as mine, but the Cool Whip eliminates the fat of the oil! I've done both, and they taste similar. You can also use canned pumpkin for a different flavor. Basically, if you have a cake mix...you have cookies!  ;D