Author Topic: Hey, all you creative types  (Read 1617 times)

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
Hey, all you creative types
« on: January 31, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »
Here's a plea for help from a not-so-creative type!

DH had his 40th birthday yesterday.  We are going to have his official party on Sunday, when we invite our friends over to watch the Super Bowl.  He's a big football fan!

I got the standard Super Bowl party stuff, but I'm trying to find some creative ideas for the party.  I'm getting a cake, of course, but can't think of something witty to write on it.  I'll get balloons but don't want to do the whole "Over the Hill" black balloon thing.  Of course, party activities are going to focus around watching the game, so I'm at a loss as to what else I can add that will make this a special occasion. 

Anyone else put on a 40th birthday party or have some ideas you can share with a well-intentioned but imagination-challenged wife?

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
Re: Hey, all you creative types
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
When my friend Catarina turned 40, I made up a box of 40 little things in numbered envelopes, ranging from little cross-stitch to makeup samples, to cards, to fake letters from people. She turned 40 in 2004, so I "sent" letters from both presidential candidates asking her for $1,000,000. She hates McD's, so I sent her a letter for a free McMignon served with McBroth for just $85, and she could supersize it if she wished. I also sent her a letter from Capital One. She had a few weeks before poked her debit card in the receipt slot of the gas pump, rather than the card swipe, and they had to take the pump apart to get it; the letter from Capital One sent her a "replacement" card and it read, "Our motto is 'What's in your wallet?', not 'What's in your receipt slot?'" I also gave her 40 Reasons Why it's Sporty to be 40, listing 40 people who died before their 40th birthdays. (Yes, I'm weird.) I ended it with a paper called "40 Reasons Why Your My Amiga."

You could do fake tickets to next year's Super Bowl (on the "40 yard line"), a can of Super Soup (Campbell's Chunky, of course), little footballs such as are given as child's party favors, a team logo, fake letters from football players, fake invitations to football fantasy camp, etc. And of course, a "40 Reasons Why I Love You" letter. It isn't too difficult to throw such things together. It only took me a few hours to do Catarina's, and the best thing was watching her open those envelopes.

If you don't have time to do 40 items in that manner, I'd suggest Nerf footballs (write "40" on them with a Sharpie marker), little footballs stuck on plastic swizzle sticks (depending on the drink of choice), 40 football logos printed out and stuck taped all over places he might be in the house (bathroom, refrigerator, etc.). You might can get football-shaped candies or candles to put on the cake. As for something to write on it, how about "You just made a first down on the 40-yard line." (I don't know a dang thing about football, so I don't even know if there is a 40-hard line.)

I hope this helps! I'll let you know if I come up with any more ideas.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 03:15:42 PM by Scritzy »
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:38:19 PM »
The nice thing about being over the hill is that you can stop peddling and just go "wheeeeeeeeee!"

I like the idea that "Life begins at 40." So on the cake you could write "Life begins!" (Cake in the form of a primordial swamp?! Or, depending on your personal beliefs, possibly the Garden of Eden...)

amiboo

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »
We used to have Super Bowl parties every year and I remember some of the stuff we used to do that everyone had fun with.  Most games aren't real popular, at least they weren't at our parties but if you keep it focused on the game and don't do anything silly most people will have fun with it.

First of all you have to get everyone to make their picks for the game.  This can be a gambling situation or you can just have several little prizes for each category with a grand prize at the end.  Hand out cards so everyone can write down things like, which team will get the first: score, touchdown (running & passing), fumble, field goal, interception, penalty, etc.   Also of course the score for each quarter and the final score, point spread and/or final score combined.  After each category award a small prize with the grand prize going to the person closest to the final score or the person who gets the most picks correct.  Another option is to give the winner of each category an entry ticket to the grand prize, the more tickets you get the more chances you have to win it. 

Other ways you can give out more tickets is to randomly assign each guest the number of a player.  Writing the number on a large name tag that the person can wear helps everyone remember who's who.  Each time that player makes a good play the guest gets a ticket, if the player fumbles or gets a penalty they get one ticket taken away.  You can also play halftime trivia for more tickets but that can be really unfair if you have some that are football gurus and others that barely know the names of the teams.  The football gurus will like to play trivia just to show off and that can be fun too. 

One fun thing to add to your other football decor is a welcome sign to hang on the wall or on your door; Welcome to BCool Stadium.  This might be especially good if you use the birthday boys name for the stadium. 

I always liked to try to get everyone up and moving around at halftime so if the weather was reasonably decent we would go outside and toss a football around.  At one house we had a park out behind us and we played a little touch football.  It was a blast and got everyone jazzed for the second half. 

None of this is birthday specific but it made for some great parties for us back in the day.  I prefer to let someone else do the work nowdays and so we go to other peoples parties.  A possible cake theme just occurred to me, if it's a normal rectangular cake make it up to look like a football field and write "1st Down and 32" or whatever his age is.  Cut little goal posts for the cake out of cardboard, just keep the candles away from them.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:29:52 PM »
Probably too late, but for my DH's 40th I did a wine tasting.  I told everybody to bring a bottle of wine, and then we had a tasting.  I made little tasting scoresheets and everything.

freakyfemme

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:20:54 PM »
Make a football-jersey cake with a big "40" on it, and get balloons in the colours of your husband's favourite team.