Author Topic: Follow-up to Socially Inept Friend  (Read 1926 times)

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
Follow-up to Socially Inept Friend
« on: February 07, 2007, 01:34:25 PM »
So here's what happened to me when I had a conflict with a good friend.

Actually, she was my BEST friend, all through high school and college and the Maid of Honor at my wedding.  We were together through everything, but after I got married things started to slip. 

I let it go on for a few years, but there was one thing that drove me nuts: I went to work after college, and she went to grad school.  So at the age of 26, I was married, working full time and had a mortgage, and she was living on a shoestring getting her Ph.D.  And yes, I was expected to pay for EVERYTHING, from trips to visit her to dinners to long distance bills.

After a while, I finally, cautiously broached the subject of the phone bills.  We were talking for almost an hour one day, as we did about once a week, when I mentioned that the long distance bills were killing me, and I should get off the phone.

She hung up on me, and I haven't heard from her since.  That was in 1994.

Later that year, she told a mutual friend that I had told her that my husband wouldn't let me associate with her anymore.

That's when I decided not to worry about it anymore and just move on.  Some friendships just aren't worth keeping.

Lara

HogwartsAlum

Re: Follow-up to Socially Inept Friend
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 05:40:56 PM »
Oh geez...that is ridiculous.  You're better off without her.  What a drip!  :P

CutebutPsycho

Re: Follow-up to Socially Inept Friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
She just hung up and you never heard from her again???? Wow, to me it sounds like good riddance! It is disheartening when you put so much of yourself (and your resources!) into a relationship and get such a slap in the face in return.
I have a photo blog... please feel free to stop by and say hello!
http://phototreks.blogspot.com/