News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 18, 2017, 07:42:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Freezing Desserts  (Read 926 times)

Myrindyl

Freezing Desserts
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:53:16 PM »
I was just watching Good Eats, and AB was making Peach Upside-Down Cakes in individual serving sizes. I don't usually have occasion to cook for more than just me unless I'm going to some kind of potluck event and cooking for a herd. Now, on to the actual question:

If I were going to make something like this (a single portion dessert involving fresh or frozen fruit slices and a thin cake batter) relatively far in advance, would it be better to bake them completely and then freeze them, or to freeze them pre-baking while the batter was still liquid? Perhaps there's a third option that I'm overlooking? The potluck events that I cook for are usually in a campground setting with campstove-type equipment as opposed to full residential kitchen stuff, so I'm anxious not to have to prepare a dish like this from scratch on site.

An advice or tips [up to and including '"you're nuts, make X, it's simpler" :-)] is appreciated.
Nothing says classy cocktails like monkeys.

MOM21SON

Re: Freezing Desserts
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:01:33 AM »
I would freeze then already baked.  I am sure it would be fine.

MameDennis

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:17:14 PM »
I'd bake them first.  They should be more stable that way--if it's baked, the batter won't separate and the leavening won't lose its punch.   

Also, if they're baked, they won't accidentally get tipped and spill all over your freezer!

Myrindyl

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:14:39 AM »
Thanks ladies! :-)
Nothing says classy cocktails like monkeys.

Ant V

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 02:37:20 PM »
I would bake them first, maybe just a little underdone, not much.  Then rewarm for freshness.