News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 10:44:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Single Serve Cakes  (Read 2524 times)

Seven Ate Nine

Single Serve Cakes
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »
I'm looking for a cake recipe, preferably cheesecake, that I can make in ramekins or custard cups.  I'm also looking for something that can be made ahead of time, so molten chocolate cake is out (though my best buddy has a great recipe for it).  Would I be able to take a regular recipe and adjust the bake time, or does someone have a tried and true recipe for this type of dessert?  Any help would be appreciated.

cicero

Re: Single Serve Cakes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »
do you mean just a cake that you would bake in muffin tins or something, or do you mean a real dessert type recipe? how much ahead of time do you need to make this? the molten cake CAN  be made ahead of time and then reheated. i have friends who do that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
Sorry, brain is not running on enough caffeine this morning.  I'm looking for a cake or really any sort of dessert that I could bake in smaller portions (muffin tins, custard cups, etc).  As far as "ahead of time" I'm looking for something that I could take to a party or bake in the afternoon for after dinner.  Reheating is not totally out of the question, but I'm really looking for something that would be served room temperature or from the fridge.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
You can do it with almost any kind of cake or cheesecake, but you'll need to reduce the cooking time by about 1/2 and then check it to make sure it's done.  I've done this with quite a few recipes and it just depends on the type of cake on how long you need to cut the baking time...  Cut the time on the cheesecake to a bit more than 1/2 so you don't forget to check it so it doesn't crack before you get to it - when it looks like it's not as glassy on top, then take it out...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 12:48:26 PM »
You can do it with almost any kind of cake or cheesecake, but you'll need to reduce the cooking time by about 1/2 and then check it to make sure it's done.  I've done this with quite a few recipes and it just depends on the type of cake on how long you need to cut the baking time...  Cut the time on the cheesecake to a bit more than 1/2 so you don't forget to check it so it doesn't crack before you get to it - when it looks like it's not as glassy on top, then take it out...

Thanks!  I was hoping that would be true, just haven't really tried it yet.  I also didn't think I'd have to cut the bake time by half... you saved me from some terribly burnt cakes!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 01:00:49 PM »

Thanks!  I was hoping that would be true, just haven't really tried it yet.  I also didn't think I'd have to cut the bake time by half... you saved me from some terribly burnt cakes!

I say half because I've done a few that only needed that much, and others that needed a bit more, but it's better to be on the safe side :)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Ant V

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
I have good luck with many recipes in muffin tins, even meat loaf.  Shorten the cooking time to about half. 

cicero

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:37:42 AM »
ok, i get it. as the PPs said, you can bake most cakes in muffin tins - just reduce baking time (use the toothpick test and not the time test). i usually bake everything in muffin tins because it's easier for me - I freeze all my cakes and this way DS & I have ready portions to go - less crumbs too!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Summrs

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 04:22:56 AM »
What about chilled lemon souffles?

Elpie

• Clue-by-fours bruise me
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 12:34:13 AM »
Additional hint: round shortbread cookies or other vanilla cookies can make a quick "crust" on the bottom of a cupcake tin for single serving cheesecakes.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »
I told DF about this thread.  Now he's begging for cheesecake.  Thanks for all the awesome ideas!

Would those be baked first like other souffles?  I'm not a big lemon eater so I've never tried one.

redwineonsundays

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:06:16 AM »
What about a no bake cheesecake?  taking the cooking problem away.
You can make them ages in advance.

I made 45 of these the day before a party I had.  They were a hit!!

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/No-Bake-Cheesecake-L476.html

I just used disposable tins to put the biscuit base in the bottom, poured cheesecake mixture on the top
and then waited till they were set to remove them and put them on platters.

Mine was a fruit cheesecake so I used the basis of the above recipe and put a fruit topping on it. 
I made fruit syrup topping with sugar and whatever berries are around, and put gelatin in it so it set on top of the cheesecake mixture

Or, you can actually wait until you are serving up and pour hot mixture over the individual cheesecakes and serve them up in bowls

kkl123

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 11:16:09 PM »
Not a cake, but good: individual pavlovas.  Bake small merigue "nests" on parchment paper; let them cool and crisp in the oven overnight and then pack into ziplock bags.  To serve, top with sliced fruit (frozen, thawed raspberries are a big  hit around here) and maybe a dollop of whipped cream.   I make the meringues about the diameter of a big muffin paper liner, and serve them in those at potlucks.  I keep the fruit in a bowl to the side and let everyone make their own, to prevent soggy meringues.

I do these for DH's work, because the boss is diabetic... I just make a couple extra meringues with Splenda for him.  I always kinda felt bad because there was never anything on the dessert end of things he could have at potlucks... takes me maybe an extra 5 minutes to do some Splenda meringues in addition to the regular ones.

Summrs

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 06:57:41 AM »
Quote from: Summrs on February 05, 2008, 02:22:56 AM

Would those be baked first like other souffles?  I'm not a big lemon eater so I've never tried one.

No.  The custard base is cooked on the stovetop, then when it's put together, just chilled.