Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

Sorry I Don't Feel Like Going to the Ballet

(1/5) > >>

cryofsilence_ed:
Have you ever been asked to go to an event that you're not interested in, even if your own mother or any other loved one asked you to go?

If so, how did you respond without hurting their feelings? I know some people can be sensitive, but I guess for me as long as I have a very valid excuse, they're usually cool with it.

Valid excuse, as in I've already made plans to go to an Avril Lavigne concert, a friend's Birthday, a gathering with other friends, or have to study for an exam, or have to work. Stuff like that.

Not-so-valid excuse...I want to sit at home catch the hockey game or I just want to stay home play video games or watch TV. For me I guess that if I don't have anything important going on that day, I wouldn't mind going.

Otherwise if it's something that doesn't interest me, I just politely say that I'm not really interested in going.

Shortcake:
I have a hard time with this too. I have learned to say, "Honestly, this is not something I am interested in doing." 

Before I got to the point where I could say this, I would just tell the person I had plans. (I didn't say my plans were to stay home and read or watch my favorite TV show)

It has taken me a long time to get to this point. I have spent a lot of time doing things I didn't want to do just because I didn't have a "good" reason not to go.
I would let myself be guilt-ed into going, or go because I didn't want to hurt the other person's feelings.

ShadesOfGrey:

--- Quote from: cryofsilence_ed on February 06, 2008, 03:26:55 AM ---Have you ever been asked to go to an event that you're not interested in, even if your own mother or any other loved one asked you to go?

Not-so-valid excuse...I want to sit at home catch the hockey game or I just want to stay home play video games or watch TV. For me I guess that if I don't have anything important going on that day, I wouldn't mind going.

--- End quote ---

1. Why isnt that a valid excuse?  ;)

2. Dont tell them why you arent going. Simply say that you wont be able to go.  If you must (and you really dont have to) simply tell them you have plans.  Keep it vague (ie dont tell them you want to watch TV instead). 

Good luck!

VorFemme:
I'm sorry, but I already have plans that night, weekend, or whatever. 

They don't have to know if you have non-refundable plane tickets, hockey tickets, a movie already rented, or a box of hair dye to apply that day & time.  You have plans that can't be changed........

Xallanthia:
I agree with the others.  Have plans.  In the unfortunate event they discover your plans are "TV & ice cream in my PJs," say, "I've been busy and that helps me relax.  Even when I enjoy [Activity], I don't really find it relaxing."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version