Author Topic: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...  (Read 14944 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Just for Fun. Phrases or words that annoy you deeply...
« Reply #450 on: April 08, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »
When people in olden-days movies (and Castle's mother on "Castle") say "Dahling" all the time.

Not "Darling."  "DAH-ling."

It's a relic from the Mid-Atlantic accent, which mimics upper-class English.

For extra pedantry, the feature in question is non-rhotic English, which eliminates a lot of
"r" sounds.

So yes, it's pretentious, but it's pretentious with a history.

...Edited because misspelling "pedantry" is embarrassing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 02:03:43 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #451 on: April 08, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »
When people in olden-days movies (and Castle's mother on "Castle") say "Dahling" all the time.

It's a relic from the Mid-Atlantic accent, which mimics upper-class English.

For extra penantry, the feature in question is non-rhotic English, which eliminates a lot of
"r" sounds.

So yes, it's pretentious, but it's pretentious with a history.

I'm glad to finally know what that's called! I've noted before that when watching old newscasts, they spoke in a very different accent from the Midwestern one that's fashionable now.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #452 on: April 09, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »

It wouldn't bother me if it was part of the accent of the area, like Boston or somewhere in the south where it's just part of the accent for Rs to drop from words. But an affected accent to sound more sophisticated? That would grate on the nerves.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dawse

« Reply #453 on: April 09, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
Do you want to do the dishes?
Would you like to take out the trash?

Well, NO, but I will do those things.

/snip

My boss says things like this all the time. 'Do you want to do x task?' Well, I don't WANT to, exactly, but as you pay me to be here, I suppose I ought to... I mean he's my boss, if he said 'Can you please do [whatever]?' Sure, fine, no worries. If it was a choice, like 'Do you want to do xyz or abc?' then that wouldn't bother me either, as it would be a legitimate question rather than an unnecessary one. He knows it annoys me, I think that's why he does it  ::)

A word that's been bothering me again recently is drug - used as a past tense for drag. NO. NO NO NO. NO. The past tense of drag is dragged. Now, I admit, English is not exactly consistent with its tenses, but when I read a sentence like 'he drug his sports bag across the floor' I have to really think about what the author means. Did he give his sports bag morphine? No? Then the word you want is 'dragged'. This seems to happen most often in fanfiction but it's infuriating.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #454 on: April 11, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »
To comment on a couple of earlier posts:  I cringe when I hear "Our thoughts and prayers go to ____. I understand you're thinking of someone during their time of crisis or mourning, but I hope you are not praying to them. Prayers generally go to a deity, not to another person.

Second - whenever my children would say, "Can I do ____?" My answer was always, "I don't know, can you?" I think I finally taught them to say "may I" instead of "can I."

scotcat60

« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Re: turning nouns into verbs.

A presenter on TV said that by lifiting something heavy she was going to "herniate something" Shouldn't this  be "I'll develop a henia if I lift this heavy item"

jmarvellous

« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2014, 10:01:03 AM »

A presenter on TV said that by lifiting something heavy she was going to "herniate something" Shouldn't this  be "I'll develop a henia if I lift this heavy item"

Nope, it is an intransitive verb. No problem there.

scotcat60

« Reply #457 on: April 13, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
Quote from: scotcat60 on Yesterday at 09:52:00 AM

Nope, it is an intransitive verb. No problem there.

O.K. it's just that I had never heard anyone use this term before.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #458 on: April 13, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »
Pronouncing the as thee.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Smulkin

« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »
 It's much easier (in my accent at least) to say 'thee' before words beginning with vowels. 'The elephant, the apple, the incident...' if you go for the short-E 'the', you have to insert an awkward glottal stop before the noun, or it sounds indistinct. It's not an affectation, it's a natural easing of the sounds.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »
"He's just a boy!"  >:(
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elisabunny

« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
It's much easier (in my accent at least) to say 'thee' before words beginning with vowels. 'The elephant, the apple, the incident...' if you go for the short-E 'the', you have to insert an awkward glottal stop before the noun, or it sounds indistinct. It's not an affectation, it's a natural easing of the sounds.

Thee before vowels is considered correct, especially in singing.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...