News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 24, 2016, 08:32:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 300079 times)

crella

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1575 on: May 17, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
My sister hadn't gone to kindergarten as we'd moved to the suburbs right about the time she would have started in our old neighborhood, and the kindergarten in our new town was full. First grade was her first school experience. I was in third grade when she started going. We talked to her about how much fun she would have, how she was now a big girl going to school.

She came home the first day, and my mother asked " Well? How did you like school?"

" It was alright, but I don't think I'll go again."

Cue much weeping at the dinner table as Mum and Dad explained that she would be going every day. Poor kid  :)

CrabbyAppleton

« Reply #1576 on: May 17, 2016, 07:40:25 PM »
When my (now 36 years old) nephew was supposed to start school he absolutely, positively did NOT want to go.  No matter what we said, we just could not convince him.  First day included a lot of kicking and screaming.  Day 2 my brother (his Dad) wakes up to find him in the bathroom dressed in his Sunday best, with gel in his hair and putting on cologne.  When asked what he was doing he said, "I've got a girlfriend".  That was all it took.  Never had a problem getting him to school ever again.

:D :D :D :D :D

PS: He's still a ladies man.  lol
A good friend is like a good bra...  Hard to find, comfortable, supportive, and always close to my heart.

TootsNYC

« Reply #1577 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
My sister hadn't gone to kindergarten as we'd moved to the suburbs right about the time she would have started in our old neighborhood, and the kindergarten in our new town was full. First grade was her first school experience. I was in third grade when she started going. We talked to her about how much fun she would have, how she was now a big girl going to school.

She came home the first day, and my mother asked " Well? How did you like school?"

Cue much weeping at the dinner table as Mum and Dad explained that she would be going every day. Poor kid  :)

My big brother also thought it was a one-time thing. He'd gone to school; he thought it was over.

Me, I was told, when I was impatient about learning to read, that I'd learn when I started going to school. I went the first day, and came home to announce that I wasn't going back. Mom asked why, and I said, "You told me they'd teach me to read. They didn't." I wasn't going to waste my time on them--no second chances!

crella

« Reply #1578 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:50 PM »

My big brother also thought it was a one-time thing. He'd gone to school; he thought it was over.

Me, I was told, when I was impatient about learning to read, that I'd learn when I started going to school. I went the first day, and came home to announce that I wasn't going back. Mom asked why, and I said, "You told me they'd teach me to read. They didn't." I wasn't going to waste my time on them--no second chances!

:D :D :D

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1579 on: May 17, 2016, 08:50:15 PM »
We went out for lunch yesterday, and my son (6) did not finish his pizza, so we got a box to bring it home. Apparently, he thinks he works in an office.

Well.  Consider us warned LOL.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1580 on: May 18, 2016, 12:10:10 AM »
We moved days before I started Kindergarten. Even though I had happily gone to preschool for 2 years and Kinder was only 1/2 a day - I kicked up a fuss every day.  Mom thought it might have been because my Pre-k 4 teachers had nearly killed me (Forcing me to make a peanut butter pine cone bird feeder because it is impossible to be allergic to food by touch). So they were working with me.

Apparently I would pitch a fit because Sis and Mom were going home. Finally Mrs. Glenn the teacher clicked. Mom would say I'm going to take Sis home and we will be at the bus stop to meet you. I thought they were going HOME - to the old house. Which explained why I took Sis's light plate off each time and put it in the car. (It was in the shape of a little cottage and had 2 strings that she could use to turn the light on and off because she couldn't reach the actual switch. She would need that at home. Mrs. Glenn also taught me to read the word peanut and to find it on a label.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

magicdomino

« Reply #1581 on: May 18, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »

I already knew how to read when I started first grade.  (no pre-school or kindergarten) I still remember the joy when the teacher passed out books, and the disappointment when I opened it and there were just pictures, no words.  What kind of rip-off joint was this place? 

Never quite trusted school after that.   :D

Chipmunky

« Reply #1582 on: May 19, 2016, 07:42:47 AM »
My mom was very nervous as to how I'd react to full time school (pre school had half days).  When she greeted me at the bus stop after my first day of kindergarten, I announced I hated it, because "all they do is cut, color, and paste! They wouldn't let me go to the library and get a book!! >:("

I was reading well quite early on. It was very frustrating to me- it was 2 weeks before we were "introduced" to the library, and we were restricted to one half of the library for the "age appropriate" (ie, no chapter books) materials.  My instructors did not take long to realize how much I enjoyed reading....eventually I was given "special access" to the other half of the library, where I plowed through nearly everything they had. ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:44:30 AM by Chipmunky »

katiescarlett

« Reply #1583 on: May 19, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
I was the child in the first week of kindergarten that really took to heart that the principal was our "pal." Do they still give that speech, lol? I had it in my head that going to the principal's office was some really cool thing, and so made it my mission to get my name on the board, with three checkmarks, and be sent there. I got two checks by the end of the day, but didn't complete my mission. My mother had to have a little talk with me that evening and explain what it really meant, because I was pretty smug and proud of myself for those two checkmarks.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1584 on: May 21, 2016, 08:25:27 AM »
I almost didn't get into kindergarten, because my teacher told me to say my numbers (in those words), to which I replied, "1...8...5...3..." Apparently, I was supposed to intuit, at 5 years old, that she meant "Count from 1 to 10." Fortunately, my preschool teacher was able to calm my parents down and explain what happened, and I didn't get held back a year.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1585 on: May 21, 2016, 11:19:28 AM »
I almost didn't get into kindergarten, because my teacher told me to say my numbers (in those words), to which I replied, "1...8...5...3..." Apparently, I was supposed to intuit, at 5 years old, that she meant "Count from 1 to 10." Fortunately, my preschool teacher was able to calm my parents down and explain what happened, and I didn't get held back a year.
Honestly I think this means you actually knew what numbers meant. So asked to name numbers you named numbers. Lots of kids can "count from 1 - 10 or 1 -20" but have NO idea what the words mean. They are just word or even symbols that for some reason you say in a certain order. The kids couldn't match the word/symbol 5 with a ten frame showing 5 or 5 objects.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Gyburc

« Reply #1586 on: Yesterday at 04:41:37 AM »
Little G (2.5 years old last Friday!) is currently obsessed with knights, horses and jousting. He got to ride a pony last weekend, which has ramped things up. So the other day, he was riding around on his hobby-horse when he told me very seriously:

'We don't want the horses to lick us. We would say "ugh". We would say "No!" to the horses.'

Can't really argue with that, but I have no idea where he got the idea that the horses would lick him...

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1587 on: Yesterday at 07:49:23 AM »
Little G (2.5 years old last Friday!) is currently obsessed with knights, horses and jousting. He got to ride a pony last weekend, which has ramped things up. So the other day, he was riding around on his hobby-horse when he told me very seriously:

'We don't want the horses to lick us. We would say "ugh". We would say "No!" to the horses.'

Can't really argue with that, but I have no idea where he got the idea that the horses would lick him...

He may have seen it in a cartoon. I think it is hilarious that he has a detailed plan for these things. :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.