A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Things That Sound Dirty But Aren't

<< < (127/145) > >>

CakeBeret:
"I gave [boss man] herpes."

It's not dirty, I swear.

We always send out company Christmas cards, and this year's cards have glitter. Glitter is often called "the herpes of the craft world", which is a phrase that makes me giggle. So when I handed Boss Man the stack of Christmas cards (and made sure some of the glitter got on him) I meant to say something witty, but it came out as "I gave [boss man] herpes." Hilarity ensued.

JoW:
I use to work with a man from China.  In his culture its family name first, given name last.  So his name tag and his phone listing were FamilyName GivenName.  And by reading that most people would have called him by his family name.  Which was Hung. 

The one thing you cannot call a man is Hung.  Most of us called him by his full name.  His close associates called him by his given name, which was his last name. 

Iris:

--- Quote from: JoW on December 16, 2012, 12:47:09 PM ---I use to work with a man from China.  In his culture its family name first, given name last.  So his name tag and his phone listing were FamilyName GivenName.  And by reading that most people would have called him by his family name.  Which was Hung. 

The one thing you cannot call a man is Hung.  Most of us called him by his full name.  His close associates called him by his given name, which was his last name.

--- End quote ---

I used to work with a guy called Phuc. To be honest, we didn't even notice it after a very short time. It was just his name. It depends on context I think. If you introduce people and say "Mr SoandSo, this is Phuc" it's not like you are saying "Mr SoandSo, this is Mike, and here's a random swear word."

Diane AKA Traska:

--- Quote from: Iris on December 16, 2012, 03:29:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: JoW on December 16, 2012, 12:47:09 PM ---I use to work with a man from China.  In his culture its family name first, given name last.  So his name tag and his phone listing were FamilyName GivenName.  And by reading that most people would have called him by his family name.  Which was Hung. 

--- End quote ---

I used to work with a guy called Phuc. To be honest, we didn't even notice it after a very short time. It was just his name. It depends on context I think. If you introduce people and say "Mr SoandSo, this is Phuc" it's not like you are saying "Mr SoandSo, this is Mike, and here's a random swear word."

--- End quote ---

Except it's pronounced "Foo".  :)

Julia Mercer:

--- Quote from: Iris on December 16, 2012, 03:29:31 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

My husband told me a story how he met a guy named Holea Phuc, (just think of Phuc and the first name pronounced Holy), it was hilarious, the story behind it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version