Author Topic: Things That Sound Dirty But Aren't  (Read 150392 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Things That Sound Dirty But Aren't
« Reply #570 on: June 03, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
Next week I am going to see the musical theater show called, "The Best Little [House filled with women who get paid to play scrabble] in Texas."

And I realized that I have to be careful how I say that. How does that first sentence of my post sound if I take out "the musical theater show called"? Or worse, if I also take out the "see"? Or "in Texas"?

Or if I shorten the title down to "Best Little [House filled with women who get paid to play scrabble" and use that as shorthand, for example, in a daily planner?

Put it down as "Texas State Legislature"  :D

ShanghaiJill

« Reply #571 on: June 03, 2012, 04:42:21 PM »
Next week I am going to see the musical theater show called, "The Best Little [House filled with women who get paid to play scrabble] in Texas."

And I realized that I have to be careful how I say that. How does that first sentence of my post sound if I take out "the musical theater show called"? Or worse, if I also take out the "see"? Or "in Texas"?

Or if I shorten the title down to "Best Little [House filled with women who get paid to play scrabble" and use that as shorthand, for example, in a daily planner?

Before people had home computers, I worked for a ticket agency answering the phone.   That musical was playing at a local venue.   People would go out of their way to say "That Texas show."

I never corrected them.

Lillie82

« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2012, 08:08:38 PM »
Where does your mind go on reading this:

A month into their marriage, they had broken two bed frames?  >:D

Actually, my poor brother and SIL are having a terrible experience with a furniture seller in their new hometown. (A story that could probably work for our Bad Business section on Ehell.) All one of them had to do was sit on the bed, and the frame broke. They replaced it. And it happened again.  >:(

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #573 on: June 17, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »
Where does your mind go on reading this:

A month into their marriage, they had broken two bed frames?  >:D

Actually, my poor brother and SIL are having a terrible experience with a furniture seller in their new hometown. (A story that could probably work for our Bad Business section on Ehell.) All one of them had to do was sit on the bed, and the frame broke. They replaced it. And it happened again.  >:(

LOL definitely in the gutter :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #574 on: June 21, 2012, 11:10:42 AM »
I have a friend who thinks "matriculate" sounds dirty.

I can't tell him when I graduate in 2015, because I am married.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #575 on: June 25, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
A coworker is moving and came up to me as she was leaving and asked me to check her boxes. I just looked at her and she told me not to say anything, she could see it on my face.

I said, "Wouldn't Tony be a better option for that?"

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #576 on: July 03, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
Came across this on a list of molecules with strange names: 

Cummingtonight

This mineral was found in Cummington, Massachusetts, hence its name; also known (less scandalously) as magnesium iron silicate hydroxide.

Edited to add:  My mind must have been in the gutter when I originally typed this.  The actual name of this molecule is Cummingtonite.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:09:17 AM by Sirius »

greencat

« Reply #577 on: July 04, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »

Cummingtonight

This mineral was found in Cummington, Massachusetts, hence its name; also known (less scandalously) as magnesium iron silicate hydroxide.

Edited to add:  My mind must have been in the gutter when I originally typed this.  The actual name of this molecule is Cummingtonite.

My brain tried to autocorrect your original error to the proper suffix for mineral compounds!  I think that belongs in the Nerdhood thread...

lilfox

« Reply #578 on: July 05, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »

Cummingtonight

My brain tried to autocorrect your original error to the proper suffix for mineral compounds!  I think that belongs in the Nerdhood thread...

You and me both!   ;)

I were preparing corn for the grill - peeling down the husk, adding butter, then wrapping the corn back into the husk and tying the ends closed.  DH came over to help and said he'd take over tying them while I finished with the butter.  There may have been a joke about "corn bondage" but I admit that was intentionally naughty.

Lillie82

« Reply #579 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
"He has never disappointed me, even when he's been exhausted."  >:D

Said by my friend about the political personality / candidate whose speaking event we were organizing, in response to my question about how many speeches he could give one after the other before burning out.

Or maybe I just heard it that way because I knew she (friend) has a huge 'thing' for him.

greencat

« Reply #580 on: July 07, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
My friend is a nurse, and yesterday he said to me "My patient needs new balls."

Apparently the patient uses a walker that needs new tennis balls on the feet...

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #581 on: July 11, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »
Saw this ad on Kijiji, and thought of this thread!

Chicage & Boobie brothers tickets

Sounds titillating doesn't it?

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #582 on: July 12, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Had a bit of a giggle at a banner ad tonight.

``Hi! My name is New Brunswick!

Come and explore my Bay of Fundy!``

lol!  I see the billboard version on my way into work and it includes the phrase  "Google me" at the bottom.
The days are long but the years are short.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #583 on: July 12, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
Uvula and Ululate.

Also, does anyone remember the infomercial about a seat-belt product known as the "Tiddy Bear"?

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:14 PM »
BG: I've been playing a video game where your character is a ghost who travels around various scenes by hopping from one inanimate object to the next. In one scene, there's a wide area with no available objects, so to cross it, you have to jump to a police officer's baton and have him walk you to the next object.

Getting frustrated with how long it was taking the officer in question to come back across the screen, I offered a little verbal encouragement:

"Come over here, Mr. Man; I need to ride on your nightstick!"