Author Topic: Things That Sound Dirty But Aren't  (Read 161017 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Things That Sound Dirty But Aren't
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »
Ah, just thought of another.

SCA people will know this one.

There's a piece of body armour known as the cuirasse.  The term is pronounced much like 'Qu*er A*s'.  There are many scholarly articles that discuss Imperial Roman cuirassed statues.  Can you see the possible problems?     

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »
Okay, this was recounted by my SO......

Sports announcer says "When in doubt, pull out"......and yes, we were both laughing.......

Sandi Papaya

• candelita
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2008, 03:11:02 AM »
At work, we have something called "Pickle ticklers."

"Pickle" is a program for disabled people (disabled adult children? I think?), based on a lawsuit where the plaintiff's name was "Pickle."

"Ticklers" are reminder notices.

Around the first of the year, we get a lot of interoffice communications regarding Pickle ticklers. It's everything I can do not to burst out laughing whenever another one of those things about "Pickle ticklers" pops up in my email. No pun intended.  >:D

tapperjockey

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2008, 07:31:01 AM »
This one is slightly dirty :)   On another forum I am a member of, there is a member (wingadingdingy) whom took pics of the snow they got (about 6") in Tx.  That's a lot for there I guess, so another forum member (Peter) shows the picture of MN weather, where it's 4'.

So I said, innocently,  "See wingadingdingy, Peter has to measure his in feet not inches.. that's a lot".  Yeah, I realized it the next day, after 100 members or so mentioned it..  ::)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »
How convenient that this thread came around today.  I just did this one today.

I had just emptied a can of soup into a bowl and put it in the microwave, and then a coworker handed me some recycling (I have the bin in my office).  As I was standing watching my soup get hot, I noticed that one of my coworkers was staring generally in my direction.  Thinking I was in the way of her view of the wall where we have papers posted, I moved, and her gaze followed the stuff in my hands.  I swear, I didn't even think before asking, "Oh, are you staring at my cans?"

She actually turned red.

Virg

GotSquatch

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2008, 01:30:18 AM »
In my office, the joke is with my blue balls.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2095765&cp=2484528.3025993&parentPage=family

One is nice, but two is better!
  The Bear and The Bee 

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
I was learning about the Bulbous bow today - it's a part of a ship that reduces water resistance... but... bulbous bow sounds really dirty for some reason.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
As does Rear Admiral. My friend and I have a running joke about dressing up as Naughty Rear Admirals for Halloween and threatening people with poopdeck swabbings.
Did you know there are two classes of Rear Admirals? Lower Half and Upper Half. Go ahead - look it up.  ;)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2008, 12:24:22 PM »
There`s a technical term that is used in our reports here at work: `flocculate`.  I always giggle when I see that word. :P

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »
At the courthouse where I work, the maintenance man is often helped out by prisoners who are called "trustees."  They help with heavy lifting and the jobs that nobody else wants to do, like cleaning toilets, and they come to work wearing black-and-white striped prison jumpsuits.  Sometimes, a former trustee will come back for a visit to say hello, and it's always kind of weird to see them in street clothes after looking at them in the jumpsuit for so long.  Once, a co-worker and I were shopping on our lunch break, and we ran into a former (male) trustee in the store.  We'd all liked him and gotten to know him because sometimes, on slow afternoons, he would come in to chat and joke around and make us laugh.  I recognized him and waved, but my co-worker didn't--she kept giving him the "don't I know you?" look.  He finally walked over and said:

T:  Miss X, don't you remember me?

CW:  You look familiar.

T:  I used to come by your office all the time.  Remember?  You always said I put a smile on your face on those slow afternoons.

CW:  Oh, YEAH!  I didn't recognize you at first, because this is the first time I've ever seen you wearing CLOTHES! 

It took me the rest of lunch break to calm down.  For the rest of the afternoon, I could barely even look at CW because I'd start giggling again.

Pinky830

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2008, 06:31:15 PM »
I work in a 24-hour animal hospital that has separate inventory for day and emergency, so a lot of things are labeled for one or the other. I glanced over at a jar of cotton balls soaking in a blue antiseptic the other day and finally noticed it was labeled "Emergency's blue balls."

Another one: I keep Listerine strips in my purse, and one day having lunch with DH and his friend I pulled them out. I said, "Anybody want a strip?"

Too bad I didn't raise them above the table where everyone could see what I was talking about. A puzzled hush fell across the table...

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:29 AM »
Did you know there are two classes of Rear Admirals? Lower Half and Upper Half. Go ahead - look it up.  ;)

Oooooh thank you for that!!! **falls down laughing in an utterly immature manner**

I so have a vision of leather chaps and latex tricorn hats.....and black satin wrapped mops....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2008, 10:32:59 PM »
In my PM folder, at the very top where I see it each time, there is a message from another poster that says, in its entirety:

"He really liked his, although it was quite small."

Each time I see it, I have to think hard to realize that this is a reference to a present the poster had given her husband that was smaller than she had imagined when she ordered it on a web site.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Nightboomfer

• Dood!
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2008, 09:25:39 AM »
I frequent a toy news and reviews board as figure collecting is somewhat of a hobby of mine (more like a lifestyle!) There was one post by one of the reviewers talking about how great a particular toy was and urging us to "Take it out and play with it." (as opposed to keeping it mint on card)

Another time, I was at a keg party with a friend of mine. He was pouring out some alcohol for me and I remarked "OK dude, you're giving me way too much head (foam)."

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange.
http://nightboomfer.deviantart.com/

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2008, 10:45:21 AM »
I frequent a toy news and reviews board as figure collecting is somewhat of a hobby of mine (more like a lifestyle!) There was one post by one of the reviewers talking about how great a particular toy was and urging us to "Take it out and play with it." (as opposed to keeping it mint on card)

Another time, I was at a keg party with a friend of mine. He was pouring out some alcohol for me and I remarked "OK dude, you're giving me way too much head (foam)."
To add on to this last one, with dinner last night, many of the people at my house had beer or Guiness. Hubby and BIL are in the kitchen, gathering glasses for people, and BIL hollers out, "One Minute, we're waiting on some head!"