News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 01:47:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cooking for others when you have the flu/cold?  (Read 1215 times)

cicero

cooking for others when you have the flu/cold?
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:57:01 AM »
I have to go to a party (well, i WANT to go!) this week - it's a foodie forum that i belong to and we get together twice a year - everyone brings a dish to share and its fun. i just realized, though, that i am either getting over the flu or a cold (i tend to think its just a cold) and i wouldn't want to make anyone else sick other than scrupulously washing my hands with soap and warm water before i start, and not licking the spoon and then sticking it back in the pot,  how can i make sure that I won't pass on any germs? I am preparing a cold noodle salad in peanut butter sauce, so there is actually not a lot of prep work.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Just Lori

• USA
Re: cooking for others when you have the flu/cold?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:13:30 AM »
I think if you're at the end of a cold, you'll probably be fine if you wash before and are careful not to sneeze or cough near the food.

I've never experienced the flu, but I have been told that when you have it, there's absolutely no doubt in your mind that it's anything but the flu.

cicero

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:24:20 AM »

I've never experienced the flu, but I have been told that when you have it, there's absolutely no doubt in your mind that it's anything but the flu.

funny - or not - but i'd NEVER had the flu until a few years ago, and when i had chemo about 8 years ago they kept talking about the flu-like symptoms (side effects of the chemo) and i had to tell them that i never HAD the flu and i didn't know what they were talking about.

anyway, i felt icky on friday, i felt worse sat. morning so i took these homeopathic magic pills and by this afternoon i feel so much better so i am assuming that it was either the flu and i caught it on time or it was just a cold.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

evilbeagle

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
Chances are, as was already mentioned, you aren't going to be contagious if you are at the tail end of the cold. Take it from a confessed germophobe, that you should be fine if you just make sure that you keep your hands washed and don't sneeze or cough on anything or anyone.