Author Topic: For Ladies only ..... menopause mentioned !  (Read 2603 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: For Ladies only ..... menopause mentioned !
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
My friend said to me last night that she's finding herself forgetting things, like where she put something she needed.  She's not worried about dementia as she says she hasn't had that sort of memory loss, but just things like going in the other room and forgetting why.

Come to think of it, my grandma complained of such things when I was a teen and if I'm doing my math properly, she would have been around mid 60's.

Friend told me of a friend of hers who had a hysterectomy in her 20's and "Went nuts" as a result.

I get that quite a bit (well, I've always had it  ::)).  My doctor calls it the CRS syndrome-Can't Remember *excrement*  ;D.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »
LOL!!! Love it!!

Speaking of CRS disease, it was your thread I originally posted that in.   ;D

(Considering you'd just had surgery, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't remember.)

I thought it seemed familiar!  :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
I experienced an onset of bad headaches during puberty.  Those headaches, later diagnosed as migraines, ended after menopause.  Coincidence?
Migraines can be hormone related.  Did you have them (or were they more likely to happen) at any particular point in your cycle?  I never managed to pin mine to one point, but since my cycles varied anywhere from 21-30 days, I'm not surprised.   Mine still happen, but only when there is a triggering event, like strobe lights.  The strike-out-of-the-blue ones have pretty much stopped.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

sidi-ji

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
I never connected the two until I realized that the incapacitating headaches were becoming less frequent, then almost a total cessation when the hot flashes ended(mostly ended).  Now at most I will experience the initial one- sided pain with  the sparkly light in my vision. Then the pain  and visual stuff fades away without becoming  a full blown migraine.
  I clearly remember the first.   When  I was 14 I came back to myself on the kitchen floor, in so much pain.  I never told anyone because I thought that I was dying. 
  Another factor was that I did not have bad cramps.  That is until menopause then  wow.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »
I love "CRS" and CRAFT. The first I've heard, but I laughed out loud when I got what CRAFT stands for.  Man, I'm only 36 now and I get that.  If my memory gets even worse, I'm doomed.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
I'm hoping menopause doesn't turn into Puberty 2.0. I was so miserable, my emotions were all over the place and I never knew if I was reacting or overreacting. Now that I'm grown up and feel like I've gotten a lot of that figured out, I'm afraid menopause will send me back there!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Shalamar

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »
So far, the hot flashes haven't been too bad - but oh my goodness, my hair is so dry and dull!  It doesn't help that I'm growing out my dye job, and I'm getting an ombre look - dark on top fading into blonde on the bottom.  Bleah.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »
Well, I'm kinda nervous about menopause. Not because of the actual stuff that goes along with it, but because I don't know when it'll start for me. My grandma (mom's mom) was forced into menopause early because of a hysterectomy at 48 to get rid of cancer, and my mom was still (irregularly) getting periods when she died at days away from 50 and hadn't had so much as a hot flash. I don't know when my dad's mom went through menopause, so everything's pretty much up in the air.

Lots of hugs for those of you who are suffering!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »
Well, I'm kinda nervous about menopause. Not because of the actual stuff that goes along with it, but because I don't know when it'll start for me. My grandma (mom's mom) was forced into menopause early because of a hysterectomy at 48 to get rid of cancer, and my mom was still (irregularly) getting periods when she died at days away from 50 and hadn't had so much as a hot flash. I don't know when my dad's mom went through menopause, so everything's pretty much up in the air.

Lots of hugs for those of you who are suffering!

I'm kind of in that boat as I really don't know what my grandmothers were like and mom had a hysterectomy and was always difficult so I couldn't tell the difference. *joke-sort of*

I mean my dad's dad was always sweet no matter when I saw her.  It was like seeing Jane Bennet as a grandmother.  Always warm to everyone, hardly ever a negative thing said.  It could be that I was just too young and didn't see her often enough to really see what it was really like.  And aunts lived just far enough away that the only thing I really heard said was complaints about hot flashes and bad memory, so we'll see. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2014, 02:29:07 PM »
Knowing your Mom's history doesn't necessarily tell you anything, though.  A friend of mine's mother went through menopause very early - late 30's to early 40's.  Friend?  50, still regular, no hot flashes.

I was crying at work today.   :P  I was talking to a coworker who has been very sick and he was telling me a little of what was going on.  I just teared up talking to him because I just feel so bad for the poor guy.  I did apologize, telling him I was a little over emotional while fanning my face.  He and his wife are my age so I think he understood my gesture.  His wife will, if he didn't, I'm sure.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2014, 10:31:33 AM »
I am experiencing some mild memory loss. It's an annoying memory loss, like forgetting why I was going to another room. I often find myself asking, "Why did I come in here?" It's not severe, but it's annoying.

Ah, yes.  CRS disease or CRAFT disease.  The S in the first and the F in the second are expletives and the C and the R stand for 'Can't Remember'.  You can figure it out from there...   :)

I don't remember my Mom having wild mood swings; Dad doesn't remember either.  So I'm hoping I won't have to deal with that.  The hot flashes and the other symptoms I'm having are more than enough.

I just turned 49, and am still as regular as can be. The only change is instead of the normal every 4 weeks, for a couple of years it was every 3, 4, 4, 4, 3, and so on, but the last few, every 3 weeks like clockwork. UGH.

I asked my mom about her menopause symptoms, and she said she honestly couldn't remember. She went through it around the time my younger brother passed away, at age 11, so she says much of that time is a blur. But i'm guessing she had very few symptoms, and hopefully I will too.

As I've gotten older too, I have PMS where I never did as a teenager, and in my 20's and 30's. I get really emotional, crabby, and anyting will either set me off, or bursting into tears. I call it my "cranky female dog from hell" mode.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:33:07 AM by siamesecat2965 »

Shalamar

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
I was talking to a younger male friend yesterday, and during the conversation I mentioned how people who write "your" when they mean "you're" really p*** me off.  Friend observed "A lot of things seem to p*** you off these days."  I said "I'm menopausal, honey.  Get used to it."   ;)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
Ha!  If my menopausal nature is anything like my PMS, DH will probably take the same tack he does now.  Approach as one would a skittish animal with the caffeine and chocolate offered on flat palms so that fingers won't be bitten.

*I'm kidding...sort of.*

And I oft joke "See? This is the benefit of having only sons.  If you'd had any daughters, after about 10-13 years, there would be synced cycles and you'd be attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis. At least now,  you only have one female to deal with."