News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 23, 2017, 09:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mixed CD Advice - Update #10  (Read 1217 times)

Oh Joy

Mixed CD Advice - Update #10
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:38:08 AM »
Hello, my favorite knowledge bank!

I want to finally treat myself to a (legally purchased) mixed CD with some specific songs that I keep wishing I had all in one place.  I know...CDs are old-fashioned, but that's the technology available where I want to listen to it, and I don't have any paid subscriptions to any music services.   ;) 

Two questions:
1) Can anyone recommend a vendor/website to create this CD?  There appear to be some reasonable search engine results, but I'd love an endorsement from someone who has used one.
2) Can anyone recommend a free "suggestion" site to see if there are other songs that I'll probably think to include the day after I've submitted the CD?  In my memory, I used to visit a site that made suggestions based not on what others listened to, but on some very specific elements of the music's signature...and I don't remember what it was.  This is a set of popular songs with a group/choral component that always inspire me:
  • Life in a Northern Town - The Dream Academy
  • Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills, and Nash
  • Wild at Heart - Gloriana
  • Some Nights - Fun
  • Lean on Me - Club Nouveau (I like the Bill Withers version better in general, but this version has the style for this mix)

Suggestions are welcome, of course, as well.

Thanks to all!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:12:32 PM by Oh Joy »

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: Mixed CD Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »
I suggest downloading all the songs from a reputable site (e.g., iTunes, Google Play Music) and burning them to a blank CD yourself. Spotify (free limited membership) is a great way to find music based on the stuff you like already.

However, I've never heard of a legitimate company that will do that for you. Maybe someone else has.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »
I've never heard of a company that does this. Amazon sells singles as downloads too in addition to itunes, google play etc. You can buy blank CDs and burn your own if you have a desktop. It's not intimidating as it may sound. If you can't find the option yourself in your menus google away to get instructions. If you have a more tech savvy family member you can have them do it. It's not difficult to do.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »
I concur.

Also, with Amazon, it's not uncommon to be able to buy a whole CD, and get a digital copy included free - so if you want more than 1 individual song that comes from the same source album, sometimes it's more cost-effective than buying digital-only singles. Just an FYI.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »
I agree that I've never heard of a service to do this, probably because there's no money in it.  Most computers come with a CD drive that can read and write.  And blank CD's are typically less than $10 for a pack of 50 or 100. 

However, there are different ways you can get music recommendations.  I personally use Pandora, Spotify, and Last.fm on a regular basis

YouTube - put the name of your favorite songs and artist in and on the right side, you'll get a list of recommended tracks.  Some of them are different versions, but you'll also get some new music in there as well.

Pandora - I prefer Pandora's music matching algorithm to Spotify's.  You can create a station using your favorite song and then add variety with your favorites.  For example, you'd start the station with the first song on your list...then go to add variety and add the additional songs on your list.  As you listen to the station, you can thumb up your favorites or thumb down to get rid of the song.  As you thumb up the algorithm will learn your preferences and do a better job of recommending music.  I've found some really great artists I like that way. 

Spotify - Does not allow you to add variety to your radio stations, so you'd have to create a separate station for each song and then move your favorites to a playlist. 

Last.fm - will track your listening history across a bunch of different applications including iTunes, spotify, and I think Pandora as well.  Once you've listened to enough music, it will start to recommend music you might like.

There are others like 8tracks and Gnoostic that also recommend music...but I haven't used them so can't attest to their helpfulness. 
Maryland

BigBadBetty

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:21:36 PM »
I have never heard of such a service either. If you don't have a CD writer for your computer, you can buy an external one for $25 ( http://a.co/8h43EOX). I have one for my work computer. We still receive data on CDs at work, but newer computers no longer have CD drives. You can borrow music from the library and burn it to your computer. You could then put the songs on a CD to burn. Or just use any of the services that other people recommended. I have used Amazon in the past.

jpcher

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »
I agree PastryGoddess on her suggestion of Pandora. It is versatile and you don't get bored with the same songs over and over again like you would on a CD. It's also free if you don't mind the commercials (they play 1 or 2 short 10sec commercials every 10 songs or so, this doesn't bother me because it's a quick click to mute the commercials) or you can subscribe for $4.95/month for commercial free listening.

I have my playlist to shuffle between all genre's (Elvis, Alice Cooper, Englebert Humperdink, Classical) and with each of these topics there are other artists of the same genre that come on and I'm able to enjoy Frank Sinatra or Karen Carpenter or Ozzy Osborne! ;D

If you're set on CDs, I'd go with Erich L-ster's response. Cutting a CD is not difficult to do yourself if you (or friend) has the right program/technology.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »
Just read the OP again about technology.  With all of the recommendations above, you can listen via your computer.  No need for a smartphone or tablet, although they do work on those devices. 
Maryland

malfoyfan13

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »
What Borecore said...that's what I do.  I have a lot of CDs I play in the car and I burn them myself from my iTunes library.  It probably seems old-fashioned to younger people (I'm 60) but it works for me.  I can get the exact combination of songs I want and make themed CDs for Christmas or whatever. 

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »
If you're dealing with your car stereo system and it's too old to have an auxiliary or USB input, you can get a cheap device that plays music from your streaming device or MP3 player to the radio via FM waves.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Nulaxy-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Adapter/dp/B018E0I01I/ref=sr_1_4?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1483492789&sr=1-4 would be less than buying the CD burner, and indeed no more than buying tracks to burn to a CD.  As a caveat, I do not have any experience with that exact product, but I used to use a similar one before I got a car with a more modern sound system.

Oh Joy

Re: Mixed CD Advice - Update #10
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 12:15:55 PM »
Thanks to all for weighing in.

I ordered the CD through Play Anywhere (they seemed legitimate enough) and it was a fast and easy process. 

I also remembered the two other songs without needing to look them up.

Life is good!

PastryGoddess

Re: Mixed CD Advice - Update #10
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
Thanks to all for weighing in.

I ordered the CD through Play Anywhere (they seemed legitimate enough) and it was a fast and easy process. 

I also remembered the two other songs without needing to look them up.

Life is good!

I've never heard of that company, but congrats on finding them!  I'm going to bookmark that page as I have a technology averse grandparent who might like to use their services.  :)
Maryland