News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 26, 2016, 01:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 1332958 times)

GardenGal

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #5640 on: July 22, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »
I got this email scam today:

Good Day,

I am writing this with tears in my eye, sorry i did not inform you about our trip, Last night  I made an unannounced vacation trip to Manila Philippines and unfortunately I got attacked and mugged at gun point on my way to the hotel where I stayed, all cash,credit card and mobile were stolen off but luckily I still have my passports left with me.

I have been to the embassy and the Police but they're not helping issues at all and My return flight leaves in few hours from now but am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until I settle the bills,I need you to lend me some money to sort my self out of this predicament, I will pay back as soon as I return. Let me know if you can be of help.

Sincerely,
name of someone with an address at a community center about 20 miles from my home

Now, I don't know about you, but any of my friends who were in dire need of cash wouldn't open an email with "Good Day," and who makes an "unannounced vacation trip to Manila Philippines" leaving "last night" and is already about to leave?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:28:56 PM by GardenGal »

mandycorn

« Reply #5641 on: July 22, 2016, 02:29:02 PM »
Ooh, I'd be so tempted to reply (except that then they'd know they had a live one), just to ask "her" to send a photo/scan of her passport to verify it's her, since she supposedly still has it with her!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

GardenGal

« Reply #5642 on: July 22, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
Mandycorn, I'm tempted, too, but don't have the patience to set up an email that can't be hacked or whatever.  Funny thing is that I don't know the person whose name was at the bottom of the email, but the name was followed by her title, name of the retirement home, address, phone and fax number.  Looks like it was copied off some email, judging by the format.

malfoyfan13

« Reply #5643 on: July 22, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
I have a hyphenated last name.  Sometimes we'll get mail or phone calls asking for "Smith Jones" rather than "Jane Smith Jones".  I always know to hang up or throw away when I'm addressed like that. 

Twik

« Reply #5644 on: July 22, 2016, 03:45:48 PM »

Good Day,

I am writing this with tears in my eye, sorry i did not inform you about our trip, Last night  I made an unannounced vacation trip to Manila Philippines and unfortunately I got attacked and mugged at gun point on my way to the hotel where I stayed, all cash,credit card and mobile were stolen off but luckily I still have my passports left with me.

I have been to the embassy and the Police but they're not helping issues at all and My return flight leaves in few hours from now but am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until I settle the bills,I need you to lend me some money to sort my self out of this predicament, I will pay back as soon as I return. Let me know if you can be of help.

Sincerely,
name of someone with an address at a community center about 20 miles from my home

Now, I don't know about you, but any of my friends who were in dire need of cash wouldn't open an email with "Good Day," and who makes an "unannounced vacation trip to Manila Philippines" leaving "last night" and is already about to leave?

I got something quite similar when my boss's e-mail was hacked. At least the hacker had enough sense to leave off "tears in my eyes," which wouldn't sound at all like my boss, but he is one of the few people who might make an impulse trip to somewhere else in the world. Of course, when I saw he was asking for several thousand dollars, my first thought was "He knows my salary. Why would he expect me to have it?"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gramma dishes

« Reply #5645 on: July 22, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »
Mandycorn, I'm tempted, too, but don't have the patience to set up an email that can't be hacked or whatever.  Funny thing is that I don't know the person whose name was at the bottom of the email, but the name was followed by her title, name of the retirement home, address, phone and fax number.  Looks like it was copied off some email, judging by the format.

GardenGal, I wonder if maybe you should notify the retirement home about this.  People there probably have elderly friends and relatives who might fall for something like this if it came in the name of someone they actually knew.  If the home knows about it, they can warn their residents not to fall for it and to maybe tell their friends not to fall  for it either should they get that kind of notification.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5646 on: July 22, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »

GardenGal, I wonder if maybe you should notify the retirement home about this.  People there probably have elderly friends and relatives who might fall for something like this if it came in the name of someone they actually knew.  If the home knows about it, they can warn their residents not to fall for it and to maybe tell their friends not to fall  for it either should they get that kind of notification.
It's a sad fact but true, elderly people are often victims of these scams mainly out of the goodness of their hearts.

dawnfire

« Reply #5647 on: July 22, 2016, 09:04:42 PM »
I'd probably go with Betty Draper, Skyler White or Carmela Soprano...LOL
how about Matilda Twiss ?
Whittlesea Victoria

TaterTot

« Reply #5648 on: July 23, 2016, 12:11:44 AM »

It's a sad fact but true, elderly people are often victims of these scams mainly out of the goodness of their hearts.

Another sad fact: elderly people often have dementia, which may also predispose them to scams. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #5649 on: July 23, 2016, 04:04:54 AM »

Good Day,

Sincerely,

My email address got hacked about 10 years ago and a letter like this was sent out supposedly from me being stuck in Europe.  Every one of my friends called me up laughing, because; "We knew it couldn't be you.  You would have had to get on an airplane."

becktheriddler

« Reply #5650 on: July 23, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »

Good Day,

Sincerely,

I got one of these, supposedly from my father, coming from Amsterdam. I didn't know if he was aware, so I called him. When he answered, of course the first question I asked was how he was. He said "Oh, fine, but not as good as my email address, it's taking a vacation in Amsterdam". So yeah, he already knew.
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #5651 on: July 23, 2016, 05:28:26 PM »
I got one of these, supposedly from my father, coming from Amsterdam. I didn't know if he was aware, so I called him. When he answered, of course the first question I asked was how he was. He said "Oh, fine, but not as good as my email address, it's taking a vacation in Amsterdam". So yeah, he already knew.

ROTFL.  I love that phrasing!

GardenGal

« Reply #5652 on: July 23, 2016, 07:24:33 PM »
Gamma dishes - good idea, I did that.  On closer checking I learned that it isn't a senior community but a community center open to the public, but you're right, it's smart to alert them that their address has been used for spamming.

malfoyfan13 - My last name is hyphenated, too.  Think Elaine Doorknob-Hedgehog.  I get plenty of mail addressed to Ms/Mrs/Mr Hedgehog, which goes right in the trash.  Ditto with mail addressed to Ms/Mrs/Mr Doorknob. Double points for the stuff addressed to Mr. Doorknob Elaine.  Happens every week!

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #5653 on: July 23, 2016, 09:02:35 PM »
Yup my husband has three names (a long family story) but is known by his third name.  So when he gets a phone call or a letter addressed to him by his first name he knows they haven it from the electoral roll and it goes in the bin, or he says no one by that name here.