News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 03, 2015, 10:13:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BASEBALL! BASEBALL! BASEBALL!  (Read 12546 times)

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
Re: BASEBALL! BASEBALL! BASEBALL!
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2012, 08:41:58 PM »

>:( Saw on sports news this morning that Phillies fans were yelling at J. Werth when he broke his wrist. Things like, "You deserve it!" and "That's what you get!" Duuuuude!! Not cool!! I am usually proudly amused by Philly's bad reputation, but that's just too much for my blood.  :-[
The fact that the Nats are in 1st place and the Phils in last just makes it even more sour grapes. The same people were laughing at the guy not too long ago.

Grrrr.

hobish,

that info comes straight from Jayson, who heard them clearly while he was getting to his feet cradling his broken wrist. 

do i think that all Phillies fans are like this?  absolutely not.  we just seem to get our share here at Nats Park.  didn't help the "mood" that we had taken the first two games of the season. 

and has anyone explained to Cole Hamels yet, that yes, while there are times when pitchers intentionally hit batters, it's really not a good idea to admit to it, in the club house, to the press afterwards?  admit hell, he was proud of plunking Harper.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »
Yesterday was "Thank You, Wake" day at Fenway.  (For Tim Wakefield, who retired after last season.) 

I have to admit I ended up crying.  It was awesome.  Especially when Doug Mirabelli showed up in a police car.

heartmug

« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2012, 12:25:51 PM »
I am glad someone brought this thread forward.  I had forgotten about it.

I had my first visit to Wrigley Field about 3 weeks ago.  It was fun!  All of that activity outside of the stadium, and even though we were wearing the opposing fans jerseys, Cubs fans were so very nice to us.  One lady asked me if it was my first visit to their stadium and when I said yes, she said "Let me take your picture."  She showed me a great spot to stand to get a lot of background.  The row behind us started some good nature ribbing, and we gave back, and then there were handshakes and "good game" afterwards.

I will be going back!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

DCGirl

« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »

>:( Saw on sports news this morning that Phillies fans were yelling at J. Werth when he broke his wrist. Things like, "You deserve it!" and "That's what you get!" Duuuuude!! Not cool!! I am usually proudly amused by Philly's bad reputation, but that's just too much for my blood.  :-[
The fact that the Nats are in 1st place and the Phils in last just makes it even more sour grapes. The same people were laughing at the guy not too long ago.

Grrrr.

I was at the game the night before, which the Nats won handily, and it was a lot of fun to watch the Phillies fans start slinking out in the seventh inning when it became clear that their team wasn't going to overcome a six-run deficit.  We're going to two games this weekend against the Orioles:  once we bought tickets for and one where a friend wants a group to go for his birthday. 

DCGirl

« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »
As a Nationals fan, I think we need to find the person who has the voodoo dolls of Nationals players and make him stop poking pins into them.  The number of injuries this year is depressing (two catchers in three days, sheesh).  On the plus side, the pitching is great.  I'm in love with Gio Gonzalez, a pitcher we got from Oakland.  He was so cute when he got his first major league hit.  As a pitcher who was formally in the American League, he only had a handful of at-bats and no hits.  In fact, there was film that followed him from Oakland in which he whiffed so hard that he spun himself around and fell on his behind in the dirt.  So, he got his first hit with the Nats and he smiled all the way to first base.  Then, he stood there and grinned from ear to ear.  The next guy got a walk, and he smiled all the way to second base where he stood grinning.  The next person got a single, and he smiled all the way to third base.  It was like watching an eight-year old get his first hit, and it's great to see someone who takes such joy in the game.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2012, 03:24:46 PM »
Speaking of cuteness and joy in the game--I know there are Cards fans on here besides me, so how 'bout that look on Yadi's face when all the guys were about to mob him yesterday?  ;D ;D ;D

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #246 on: May 16, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
As a Nationals fan, I think we need to find the person who has the voodoo dolls of Nationals players and make him stop poking pins into them.  The number of injuries this year is depressing (two catchers in three days, sheesh).  On the plus side, the pitching is great.  I'm in love with Gio Gonzalez, a pitcher we got from Oakland.  He was so cute when he got his first major league hit.  As a pitcher who was formally in the American League, he only had a handful of at-bats and no hits.  In fact, there was film that followed him from Oakland in which he whiffed so hard that he spun himself around and fell on his behind in the dirt.  So, he got his first hit with the Nats and he smiled all the way to first base.  Then, he stood there and grinned from ear to ear.  The next guy got a walk, and he smiled all the way to second base where he stood grinning.  The next person got a single, and he smiled all the way to third base.  It was like watching an eight-year old get his first hit, and it's great to see someone who takes such joy in the game.

boy, ain't that the truth!  Morse, Werth, STOREN, now Ramos, all long-term DL. 

Gio is just a joy to watch.  that smile of his just lights up the whole dugout!  he looks like a little kid, who goes out to play baseball because it's fun.   ;D

i have to say, i was a little concerned about Harper's maturity level when he was called up.  but i've been really impressed with how he's carried himself, especially when Hamels intentionally hit him.  of course that was that little incident that earned him the nickname of Bam-Bam.   ;)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #247 on: June 07, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »

I think someone has been doing voodoo on the Phils, too. They lost again today. It's like the bad ol' days are back. >>sulk sulk sulk<<

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

heartmug

« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »
**waving**  Dodger Fan here.   ;)

heartmug

« Reply #249 on: June 27, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »
What do you think of the "fake" catch by the Yankee outfielder yesterday?  I can't believe the ump did not keep his eye on the ball!

Cheaters.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2015, 12:31:29 PM »
Wendall Kim has passed on, at 64, from Early Onset Alzheimer's.  He was 3rd base coach with the Red Sox in the late 90s and also worked with the Giants/Expos/Cubs.

He was always a lot of fun to watch, sprinting out to his position and waving runners home like a turbo powered windmill.