Author Topic: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?  (Read 80130 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #720 on: September 12, 2014, 08:00:42 PM »
In my criminal profiling class, we had to make a profile of a type of suspect. It was eerie realizing how that profile fit the known qualities of certain people captured or convicted over the past few decades. I had chills.

I want to know what happened to Trenton Duckett. His mother was found post-suicide after he had been missing for some time. There is speculation that he was handed to one of her friends to raise as their own child and I really hope that is what happened. His father and grandparents are searching for him still. He's been missing for eight years. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/new-image-missing-fla-boy-released-years-disappearance-article-1.1919294

AngelicGamer

« Reply #721 on: September 12, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
I saw a little boy this week who eerily looked like a healthy, happy version of Philadelphia's Boy In The Box. It was a bit jarring to realize that's who he reminded me of  :(

It's possible he and his family could be related but I can think of no way to bring that up politely.  Considering nothing is really known about the Boy in the Box and it could be their family mystery but they don't know about the website set up for him.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Cherry91

« Reply #722 on: September 16, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
What happened to Billy Smolinski?

And how the heck did his ex-girlfriend get away with tearing down missing person posters, even in front of people putting more up (she claimed it was "harassment" for them to be putting up posters up for Billy in her neighbourhood - not her street, her neighbourhood), even graffiti-ing "Who cares" over some posters, to the point where she sued the family for harassment?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #723 on: September 16, 2014, 07:43:42 AM »
Okay, this is crazy.  I don't remember if I posted about this or not, but... when I made the birthday cupcakes for my 4-year-old last month, I had the leftover icing in the little bags (with the metal tips and such) in a plastic tub.  Last I remember it was on the counter, because I was using the icing to attempt to attach the ears (cat cupcakes).  Then when I needed to reattach some ears that had fallen off, I couldn't find the icing tub.  It is now a *month* later and I still haven't found the tub!  This is so mystifying.  Where in the world could I *possibly* have put it?  Do I need to interrogate the 1-year-old with the sweet tooth?  I'd really like to, you know, wash out the icing bags and clean up the tips and such.  So, so crazy.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #724 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
Trust me. Throw away the tips. They won't be worth keeping after sitting that long dirty. I tried that once.

redcat

« Reply #725 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
From an article:

"MtDNA is passed down from a mother to her children, and many people can share the same mtDNA signature. The signature linked to Kosminski, T1a1, is a relatively common subtype. Thus, the determination doesn't mean much unless the signature can be narrowed down to a rarer subtype, or unless additional evidence can be brought to bear (as was the case for identifying the remains of Russia's Czar Nicholas II and his family).

A larger question has to do with the scarf's history: It's been open to contamination for decades, and it's not even clear that it was really left behind by Eddowes (or her killer) after the 1888 murder. "In the community of so-called experts, it's not really considered evidence," Ryder said. "

The BBC radio 4 program Inside Science interviewed the biochemist who did the analysis, (it was where I first heard about this), and he was very dubious about the claim of a positive identification and actually didn't sound very pleased about the newspaper article or with the author.  It's still up if you can access the BBC media player.

Last_Dance

« Reply #726 on: September 16, 2014, 12:51:45 PM »
A Sardinian medieval mystery

Backgroun: in the 14th century, Sardinia was divided between the crown of Aragon and the independent judgedom of Arborea.

Who murdered Judge Hugh of Arborea and his daughter and heir Benedetta on 3 March 1383?
They were repeatedly stabbed and their bodies were thrown in a well. Hugh also had his tongue cut off  and a stone was put in his mouth -  something usually done to oath-breakers and traitors.

The most likely suspect, i.e. King Peter of Aragon, was caught unprepared by the judge's death and didn't manage to profit from the power vacuum. The same goes for his men in Cagliari.

Judge Hugh was a very stern man and had made enemies in his own land - was it a personal revenge? Or the whole ritual was just a smoke screen?

Were they assassinated by his own sister Eleanor, who became Judgess of Arborea in her son's name after him? (This is not a popular theory as she's something of a folk heroine in Sardinia, but you can't deny she was the one who benefited the most from his death)
It's true she was in Genoa at the time, but she could have easily paid someone.
 However, wouldn't she have warned her husband in advance? (He was a Sardinian vassal of the Aragonese noted for changing side at the drop of a hat) Just so he didn't do anything stupid like, say, go to the Aragonese governor of Alghero so he could be captured and kept hostage for 7 years?

Or perhaps the assassination was ordered by Hugh's brother-in-law, the viscount of Narbonne who had married Hugh's other, older sister? He wrote to King Peter a year later, saying he wanted his permission to conquer Arborea for his son, but he didn't do anything when the King gave him his blessing but offered no practical help.
We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #727 on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »
Where is my gate card? I had it this morning and used it, I've gone through everything I had with me, and the car. I'm baffled.