News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 23, 2017, 06:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pet peeves at work  (Read 23867 times)

MissRose

Re: Pet peeves at work
« Reply #270 on: October 14, 2017, 05:57:05 AM »
Customers who claim they've been trying to get a hold of me for a long time.  When I ask how, I determine that they call and don't leave a voicemail.   >:(

Even worse, I get customers who claim they have waited in the queue for X amount of time when we can tell how long on an application on our screens that often it is far less.  But we can't tell them "Liar Liar pants on fire" either or similar.

crazycatlady331

« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
Customers who claim they've been trying to get a hold of me for a long time.  When I ask how, I determine that they call and don't leave a voicemail.   >:(

Anyone that says I've been trying to reach you and doesn't leave a voicemail drives me wild.  In my opinion if you didn't leave a VM you didn't want a call back. 

I don't go through my caller ID and return every call on there, in fact, unless I am expecting a call from someone I don't return ANY caller ID calls.  That is what VM is for - leave me a message to call you back.

How hard is this?

So much this. Even at home. If you hung up, expecting that I would call you back because you know I have caller ID, you would be sadly waiting forever. I do have someone that did this, though thankfully she stopped expecting a call back after I told her I mostly use ID for screening, not finding out who called and didn't leave a message.

I'm not a fan of voicemail and much prefer text.  However, since my phone is both work and personal, I put up with VM.

Before my phone was also used for work, my greeting said to send me a text instead of leaving a VM.   (I haven't used a landline in 15 years).

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
The state I work for completely changed benefit providers, and we have a reduced open enrollment period this year.

I logged in today, which is a production, and all of my providers had been cleared except the new medical provider. I am so relieved that I checked, since my dental provider is gone and I had to sign for a new one.

People who aren't on top of these changes are going to be in for a rude awakening next year.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

rose red

« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »
When people leave wet balls of paper towels in the lunchroom sink. The garbage can is *right there!* Nobody else is going to re-use your old towels. Yuck!

Allyson

« Reply #274 on: Yesterday at 01:35:36 AM »
Coworkers who let really minor red tape annoyances/things that happen to everyone ruin their whole day, and then they insist on making it ruin mine as well by snarling and grumping. Especially over things that are in no way personal, but are say, a technology issue that is annoying but hardly a personal affront. I get being briefly aggravated but really...

rose red

« Reply #275 on: Yesterday at 08:24:32 AM »
I know the lunch room is a neutral place, but it still bugs the heck out of me having the same lunch hour as his one person who never. stops. talking. in a Loud voice with Loud laughing. Seriously, her companions can't get a word in edgewise.

Regular noise levels of a lunchroom and even in restaurants don't bother me, but her voice is certainly not "regular." My ears ring and her voice is embedded in my head for a while after lunch everyday. Unfortunately, there is no other place to eat and I don't have a car.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #276 on: Yesterday at 10:43:59 AM »
I know the lunch room is a neutral place, but it still bugs the heck out of me having the same lunch hour as his one person who never. stops. talking. in a Loud voice with Loud laughing. Seriously, her companions can't get a word in edgewise.

Regular noise levels of a lunchroom and even in restaurants don't bother me, but her voice is certainly not "regular." My ears ring and her voice is embedded in my head for a while after lunch everyday. Unfortunately, there is no other place to eat and I don't have a car.

Unless she's a supervisor, could you suggest that her voice carries extremely well and might she take it down a few decibels? ;D I say that because, really, if it's a supervisor, I would worry about PD if I asked. If not, then I'd ask, politely, and let chips fall where they may.

rose red

« Reply #277 on: Yesterday at 11:18:49 AM »

Unless she's a supervisor, could you suggest that her voice carries extremely well and might she take it down a few decibels? ;D I say that because, really, if it's a supervisor, I would worry about PD if I asked. If not, then I'd ask, politely, and let chips fall where they may.

I'm relativity new and don't want to make waves with someone who seems give off a "mean girl" vibe if you cross her (she's been polite to me so far). Although it's really annoying, I'd rather live with it for one hour a day and have an otherwise peaceful work life. :P

AngelicGamer

« Reply #278 on: Yesterday at 12:54:48 PM »

I'm relativity new and don't want to make waves with someone who seems give off a "mean girl" vibe if you cross her (she's been polite to me so far). Although it's really annoying, I'd rather live with it for one hour a day and have an otherwise peaceful work life. :P

Ok! :) A tip that might help, as it helps me when there's overly loud people (adults or kids), is to put an ear plug in the ear that is closest to the offender. It seems to cut down on the noise but I would recommend doing it discretely if you don't want to rock boats.