News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 27, 2015, 08:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the point of swaddling? OP #47  (Read 3007 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: What is the point of swaddling?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Anyone have a swaddle that would work for a two year old?  That way I wouldn't come into a room with a naked baby cheerfully yelling "I DID IT!"   ;D

Yes, I swaddled both my babies with the Miracle Blanket.  My husband was actually better at doing it with the regular receiving blankets; my mom showed him and he was off to the races.  By 4 months (just when their sleep patterns change, ugh!) both girls figured out if they arched their necks, they could wriggle free of the swaddle.  Then we moved to sleep sacks.

My youngest was absolutely determined to go to sleep naked every night when she was a toddler.  I wouldn't have minded so much if she hadn't still needed a diaper.

We wound up taking her footed sleepers, cutting off the feet and putting them on her backwards.  Eventually, she lost interest and moved onto the next bullet point on her list of things to do that would make me crazy.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »
The Halo sack people make toddler sized sleep suits.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: What is the point of swaddling? OP #47
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2015, 06:59:44 PM »
Thank you for all your responses! I really enjoyed reading your posts because of your personal stories and, like I said, I never swaddled my babies and didn't know that this was something to do. I guess I was just lucky that my DDs slept well without swaddling, otherwise I probably would have had to look into alternatives (like swaddling ;)).

I posted because I was curious. My cousin (who I don't really know on a personal level, I get news from my Mom) and her husband started a business with a swaddling transition outfit. At first I thought "Who's going to by that? Is there really a need?" Then, ignorant me, was really surprised when they went on Shark Tank and were backed by one of the Sharks. (No, this is not a sales pitch because they don't need it. Apparently their business is absolutely booming!)

This is just a topic that I knew nothing about and thought I'd ask so that I could learn something new.

Consider me enlightened! ;D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »
Anyone have a swaddle that would work for a two year old?  That way I wouldn't come into a room with a naked baby cheerfully yelling "I DID IT!"   ;D

Yes, I swaddled both my babies with the Miracle Blanket.  My husband was actually better at doing it with the regular receiving blankets; my mom showed him and he was off to the races.  By 4 months (just when their sleep patterns change, ugh!) both girls figured out if they arched their necks, they could wriggle free of the swaddle.  Then we moved to sleep sacks.

I've heard of the sleeper backwards, too.  What I ended up doing was putting onesies on under the sleeper.  I started by using a safety pin on the zipper of the sleeper, which worked for a while until she figured out how to work safety pins.  So then I started using onesies under it, and it took her a while to figure out how to unsnap the snaps that were between her legs.  When she did figure it out, I started putting folding the snap area inwards and putting a safety pin on it on the inside, blocking access to the snaps.  That worked until she finally (thankfully!) grew out of the desire to take her diaper off.  I was sick of cleaning up the mess she'd make in her crib when she did that.  Sometimes I think this particular toddler needs a straight jacket.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »
We swaddled for a few months but mostly because the boys were sharing a crib & that way they wouldn't whack each other in the face. We stopped when they decided they would only be sleeping in their swings ::)

There was a sleeper my aunties gave us that worked great when the boys decided to start stripping at night. Cannot for the life of me remember what the maker was except that it was a Canadian company but these are very similar.

http://www.escapeejays.com

http://www.littlekeepersleeper.com/

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2015, 12:14:23 PM »
We swaddled for a few months but mostly because the boys were sharing a crib & that way they wouldn't whack each other in the face. We stopped when they decided they would only be sleeping in their swings ::)

There was a sleeper my aunties gave us that worked great when the boys decided to start stripping at night. Cannot for the life of me remember what the maker was except that it was a Canadian company but these are very similar.

http://www.escapeejays.com

http://www.littlekeepersleeper.com/

Brilliant!  I wonder if the founders are parents who got tired of cutting the feet off sleepers.