News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 28, 2016, 02:53:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thoughts on Packing Cubes?  (Read 899 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: Thoughts on Packing Cubes?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 01:20:50 AM »
I've never head of packing cubes but probably wouldn't use them.  I like using Ziploc bags for a lot of things (including for travel) and bring a lightweight laundry bag for my dirty clothes.

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »
I love them.  Mine are these...I have both the small and the medium.  I do the whole rolling and stuffing thing too, but for a multi-day trip (especially if you are going to be in multiple locations), you can use the cubes like mini suitcases.  It also makes it easier to look for something because you don't have to "mess up" everything when you pull something out. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092XBKPK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 11:09:27 AM »
I use a lot of homemade zipper pouches when I pack. I put my slippers/spare shoes in one, my toiletries in one, my "personal items" in one, and my medications in another.  Mr. Sirius adds his items to the zipper pouches, and it makes our suitcase neat and organized.  The difference between my homemade pouches and the packing cubes is that the pouches are custom-made to fit what we're taking.  We don't usually go on planes, however.

Similar principle, but I use gallon-size plastic bags.  It is kind of handy to either have dedicated sock/underwear bags, or to pack a pair of socks and some underwear in quart-size bags, one for each day.  While tucking them into nooks and crannies is efficient, it makes it harder to keep track of how many clean pairs are left.

Same. Keeps things together and provided a dirty laundry bag for going home as well.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Sirius

• Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
I've used Ziploc bags when flying, because of the inspection rules.  However, I do use zipper pouches in my purse; I made a special one for my cellphone with an attached ring, which I then attach with a carabiner to a ring inside my purse so that I can find it.  I did this after my cellphone fell out of an outside purse pocket in a parking lot.  Someone honest found it and called my home number, and Mr. Sirius told them what store I was in so they had me paged to come to Customer Service and get it.  I also have a pouch with slippers in case someone wants me to take off my shoes, and a pouch of diabetic supplies like glucose tablets. 

EveLGenius

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »
I'm pathetically organized, but I couldn't get into the cubes.  One or two work well, but a whole suitcase full of them was just wasted space and weight, in my opinion.  I suspect I would have liked them much more when suitcases were square, instead of having rounded corners and odd protrusions on the inside.

snowfire

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »
I have a set of mesh cubes, 2 smallish & one medium.  I love them, especially when flying when your bag could get opened by security.  I also have some flannel shoe bags.  They are also nice for keeping DH's shirts nice when he travels on business. The medium bag is just the size of the shirt after I fold it with my folding board.  They seem to stay much neater that way than layered in the suitcase.  I don't always use all of them, but the three I have fit quite neatly into my roll-aboard suitcase with room for a pair of shoes & a ziplock for my swimsuit & one for my liquids.  (I think mine are Rick Steves, maybe discontinued. DH has some of the really light nylon/mesh ones.) Bonus, we can tell them apart.  When we go on long trips we each carry a set of clothes for each other, in case one suitcase gets delayed or lost.