News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 22, 2018, 10:21:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gray hairs  (Read 1650 times)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
Re: Gray hairs
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »
I used to get upset and pluck grey hairs until my child was leaning over my shoulder one day and asked why I was growing "unicorn hairs" 

Since then I have left them alone.  :) 
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

lilfox

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
I have a few gray hairs that I want to cover up for a special even I will be attending.

Any suggestions on how I can cover it. I have never colored my hair before.

If I go the coloring root, do I need to use different shampoo for colored hair?

Thanks

If it is just a few (less than 10), I'd second the suggestion to pluck them.  Similarly, if you don't plan to keep coloring them and just want a one-night solution, a temporary color is best (the hair/root touch-up tools are sold with the box dyes).

I started going gray at 21 (just a handful, but all located at my temple) but didn't color my hair regularly until my 30s.  At this point (early 40s), I just color the top layer, so all the hair from the tops of my ears down is now original color, plus a lot more gray than before.  The effect is like low-lighting or ombre, almost, and doesn't show the gray at all.  At some point I'll gradually color less and less so it's more a highlight effect than full coverage.

metallicafan

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 08:35:45 PM »
Loreal has a root touch up spray that works really well. Comes in all hair colors. Stays in until you wash it out.

Coralreef

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »
If you want to dye your hair, go with a salon, at least for the first time, specially since it's for an event. I tried colouring my hair at home and I ended up with so-so results in my hair and little spots of dye on the counter. I think they are still there years later.

I stopped dyeing my hair years ago, because of finances (it does get pricey long term) and I realized I like my grey.

Almost forgot : hair dye will also dye your skin if you are not careful during application.
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
there is a product that is a dry shampoo with color, comes in red, black, and blonde - not sure how well it works. I only know we got cases of it to give away at the food shelf where I volunteer.

this or a professional. box dye has more metallics in it than you ever want in your hair. also, eye shadow can work in a pinch.

/hairstylist

Twik

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
I've never had problems dying my hair at home, but that's no guarantee. I'd say for a first time, plus for a fancy event, go to a professional. You'll get a sense of what it's like.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

daen

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »
I've hennaed my own hair, and had it done professionally. I much prefer the latter... although that may also be because I prefer a red that is clearly not a shade granted by nature.  ;D

I'm not sure what brand my stylist uses, but it's a low/no-ammonia formulation that's gentle on my hair. I also use shampoo not more than once a month, and rinse my hair at the end of the shower and dry it immediately, so my color lasts longer. (On the minus side, the demarcation between color and non-colored it quite clear, but since both colors are on the darker end, I can mostly get away with it. With the henna, though, it faded enough that the transition line was never that sharp.)