News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 22, 2017, 09:54:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1221432 times)

rose red

Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4380 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »
She does not want to bring her loan current. She does not want to talk about the loan. She just keeps calling demanding we return her car.

"it's not your car Ma'am" >:D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #4381 on: February 28, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
This has happened a few times at my job, and I admit I feel a little salty about it.  I'm a CSR at a bank, which in English means I'm a teller.  Several times I've had someone standing at my window, telling me all about a problem with their account, which they expect me to fix, without once telling me anything relevant.  Like, say, their name or account number.  Or even if it's checking or savings.  Nothing.  Just, hey, there was a double charge and then stand there expectantly.  Seriously?  Happened yesterday, and at least the guy seemed chagrined when after five minutes of story I had to ask for "name or account number?", at which point he said, "I can tell you my Social Security number."  Did I ask for that?  Do you not know your name?  Sir, I need to see some i.d.

Also, if you are bringing in change to have counted and exchanged, don't use the same jar you keep your weed in.  The crumbs jam up our machine.  Also, it's still illegal here.
I also love the long, rambling phone calls, where someone goes on and on about a problem in their account, all the woes it has caused, all the related problems, they need this fixed, and you have to wait for the to come up for air to ask "May I get your name, please?"

*nods vigorously* I work for a human services non profit, so we work with people who are often homebound.  I picked up the phone and thought I was talking with someone who wanted us to take them off of our mailing list.  But no, that wasn't it, she also wanted to talk.  The good thing is that she knows she talks too much and was very nice about letting me get off the phone with her. (and back to my lunch)
Maryland

Outdoor Girl

I used to work in a water plant.  This elderly couple called up quite frequently to complain about the water.  So one of the operators would dutifully go to their house and take a chlorine residual.  After a few times, the operator realized they were just lonely and wanted someone to visit.  So they solved the problem by making them one of the regular sites to take a water sample and were in there at least once a month.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

LadyJaneinMD

Speaking of customer service: 
Many years ago, I had a computer job, where we did backups every week on these tiny little 'jukeboxes' of tapes.  We had *all* kinds of trouble with failed backups, for months.   The hardware company would insist that the problem was with the software company, and the software company would blame the manufacturers of the jukeboxes..  You know who finally helped me?  The company that manufactured the *cables* that went from the computer to the jukeboxes!  The guy on the phone was extremely knowledgeable about both the hardware of the jukebox *and* the software on the computer, and with his help we were able to fix the problem and get good backups.

LadyJaneinMD

I used to work in a water plant.  This elderly couple called up quite frequently to complain about the water.  So one of the operators would dutifully go to their house and take a chlorine residual.  After a few times, the operator realized they were just lonely and wanted someone to visit.  So they solved the problem by making them one of the regular sites to take a water sample and were in there at least once a month.

Now that's very thoughtful of them!! (Although I'm sure they don't think of it that way - they're just avoiding a constant problem).
I'm starting to reach that age where I'm beginning to understand the loneliness of being old and alone. If I ever give up my final job, I may just go totally crazy.

Dazi

• like the flower
This has happened a few times at my job, and I admit I feel a little salty about it.  I'm a CSR at a bank, which in English means I'm a teller.  Several times I've had someone standing at my window, telling me all about a problem with their account, which they expect me to fix, without once telling me anything relevant.  Like, say, their name or account number.  Or even if it's checking or savings.  Nothing.  Just, hey, there was a double charge and then stand there expectantly.  Seriously?  Happened yesterday, and at least the guy seemed chagrined when after five minutes of story I had to ask for "name or account number?", at which point he said, "I can tell you my Social Security number."  Did I ask for that?  Do you not know your name?  Sir, I need to see some i.d.

Also, if you are bringing in change to have counted and exchanged, don't use the same jar you keep your weed in.  The crumbs jam up our machine.  Also, it's still illegal here.
I also love the long, rambling phone calls, where someone goes on and on about a problem in their account, all the woes it has caused, all the related problems, they need this fixed, and you have to wait for the to come up for air to ask "May I get your name, please?"

It's especially fun when they ramble on and on without giving you their name, and when they finally do, you find they've called the wrong place. Say it's a generic place that every city/county has like city hall, water utilities, library, school, police dept., etc. They needed one located in the panhandle of Florida, but no, they called the one near Disney. No, really, I can't look up your info, we are not affiliated with panhandle location. Sorry, no, I can't transfer you to the Miami location either, as we have zero affiliation with them as well. Yes, I understand we have the same name, but all of them everywhere do. Yes, you really need to call the location in Atlanta, New York, Chicago, etc. to get your situation sorted out.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
I'm sorry, but I can't make the federal government approve this huge loan for your minor child's college tuition and fees when you have failed to file taxes (with income) for over 3 years.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Chickadee

That's nice  :)

Take2

My name shows up on an internal reference for a specific set of skills and issues. However, this reference is quite prominent. So there is probably not a question a co-worker could think to ask about any topic within our organization that I have not received. Computer problems, HR issues, weather trouble in states 1,000 miles away, and every single system any co-worker uses for any task. The reasonable people start out with "You may not be the contact I need, but I'm hoping you can direct me." and then give me the issue in 100 words or less. Because I have received so many questions, I can often point them in the right direction, at least. Most people are gracious, and grateful for any direction I can give them. Often when I give them the correct contact, they realize they have been provided that information at some point, and had forgotten, and they are very apologetic. But at least once a week, someone will launch into a HUGE, detailed explanation of their issue that I cannot break into, only for me to eventually tell them I can't do anything to address that problem. Then they get frustrated because their time was wasted.

I am sorry, but my job is not soothsayer and fixer of all things. If you are going to call a random co-worker in a large organization just because that name is visible, associated with a totally different topic, maybe you should find out if I can help you before giving me a 5 minute wall of words about your situation?

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title

The best are those long rambling phone calls where you have to listen to someone for five minutes and when you ask for their name/account info, they get offended that you don't automatically know who they are.  Bonus points if it's not even a client of yours, but the client's wife/husband/friend/neighbor.  I work in billing for a non profit, and we get those calls all the time!

I had a lady call in today who wanted to ask a question about the statement she'd received.  I asked for her name and she said something that sounded like "Dern Chriszzz".  When I asked her to spell her first name for me, she got very offended and nastily asked me "What, didn't you ever learn how to spell?  It's D-A-W-W-I-N!"  After a pause to wonder how Dawwin (Dawn for those of us who spell things without additional letters) was something I should have learned how to spell, I asked for her last name again and got her the information she needed. 

HoneyBee42

My name shows up on an internal reference for a specific set of skills and issues. However, this reference is quite prominent. So there is probably not a question a co-worker could think to ask about any topic within our organization that I have not received. Computer problems, HR issues, weather trouble in states 1,000 miles away, and every single system any co-worker uses for any task. The reasonable people start out with "You may not be the contact I need, but I'm hoping you can direct me." and then give me the issue in 100 words or less. Because I have received so many questions, I can often point them in the right direction, at least. Most people are gracious, and grateful for any direction I can give them. Often when I give them the correct contact, they realize they have been provided that information at some point, and had forgotten, and they are very apologetic. But at least once a week, someone will launch into a HUGE, detailed explanation of their issue that I cannot break into, only for me to eventually tell them I can't do anything to address that problem. Then they get frustrated because their time was wasted.

I am sorry, but my job is not soothsayer and fixer of all things. If you are going to call a random co-worker in a large organization just because that name is visible, associated with a totally different topic, maybe you should find out if I can help you before giving me a 5 minute wall of words about your situation?
They're kin to the people who used to call relay when I worked as a relay operator (service for the deaf, hard of hearing and speech impaired).  If you look at your utility bills, you might see a number under the customer service number that has the letters TTY next to it.  That is *not* the number for the utility, but it is the number for the relay service. 

So working as the relay operator, I'd get  a voice call come in and start the usual greeting (basically, the name of the relay service, my operator # and a request for the number they wanted me to dial).  I'd be treated to someone who was giving a barrage of personal details about their account and they would *not* stop.  I'd try to interrupt and they'd keep on going ... finally, they would stop and I'd have to say something like "This is not the electric company.  This is the relay service for the deaf, hard of hearing, and speech impaired.  You will need to call the customer service number for your electric company" Then they'd say something like "well customer service number is closed, so I'm calling  you, and I need you to (barrage of info, boiling down to a request to fix their problem)" and/or nastily ask me why our number was on the bill if we can't help them.  Eventually I would have to clap over a supervisor to request the disconnect because all the relay service does is connect to the cable/gas/electric/phone/water company and relay the call .. we can't help our customers either unless customer service is open.

KB

Now that's very thoughtful of them!! (Although I'm sure they don't think of it that way - they're just avoiding a constant problem).
I'm starting to reach that age where I'm beginning to understand the loneliness of being old and alone. If I ever give up my final job, I may just go totally crazy.

A financial advisor I really like and respect says that the two most dangerous days of your life are the day you are born and the day you retire. While he is speaking from a financial perspective, it is also very true from a social one!

Yarnspinner

Haven't worked a Sunday in ages.  I am two hours in to a four hour shift and have already had three fairly off beat questions.

#1:  "I am trying to get into my utility account and I have my number memorized, but even though I am putting it in correctly they tell me it's incorrect.  I need you to fix it." 

#2: A woman who clearly had no clue what her child development class was asking her to do (I did not blame her, after reading it over half a dozen times, I recognized that the words were in English, but the sentences they created made no sense what so ever).  Ultimately, she wanted me to download a flip chart to a flash drive for her to take to the teacher.  Did she have a flashdrive?  Nope.  Did she want to purchase one from us?  Nope.  And the flipchart she wanted to download to it?  She was holding it in her hand, hard copy, seventy pages long.  No, she didn't want to scan it and send it to her email address.  She was holding it in her hand and it had to be put on a flash drive.  I entertained the notion of pulling out a flashdrive and balancing the flipchart on top of it, but figured that the humor would be lost. 

#3: The guy from the first question was back.  He needed to pay for something he had bought on line and he noticed that his payheck had not yet cleared his bank account.  How long did it take the library to put the checks through?  "Sir, do you work for us?"  No.  "Then we have nothing to do with posting your check to your bank account.  Maybe contact your job and ask them?

Can't make this stuff up if you try!

DoubleTrouble

#2: A woman who clearly had no clue what her child development class was asking her to do (I did not blame her, after reading it over half a dozen times, I recognized that the words were in English, but the sentences they created made no sense what so ever).  Ultimately, she wanted me to download a flip chart to a flash drive for her to take to the teacher.  Did she have a flashdrive?  Nope.  Did she want to purchase one from us?  Nope.  And the flipchart she wanted to download to it?  She was holding it in her hand, hard copy, seventy pages long.  No, she didn't want to scan it and send it to her email address.  She was holding it in her hand and it had to be put on a flash drive.  I entertained the notion of pulling out a flashdrive and balancing the flipchart on top of it, but figured that the humor would be lost. 

First time in my life I have ever snorted tacos out my nose!

XRogue

re: the flashdrive: I did not know I had an evil twin!  ;D

Caller at work on Saturday:

" I want refunds for all 6 months of my account billing, even tho I have been using it!"

Quoth me "I apologize sir, I am only able to provide one month's refund as a courtesy"

Customer "Then I want a manager, and I will also be calling the FBI!"

Cue me again "I will connect you to a manager, one moment please sir."

Internal me: "Yes sir, the FBI will break off chasing Jason Bourne right now and come get your refunds for you. "