Author Topic: Homer's bowling ball gifts  (Read 5474 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Homer's bowling ball gifts
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
Similar to Lynn2000's Valentine's/Mother'sFather'sDay card philosophy--I don't send Christmas cards to people that I will see or speak to on the holiday itself.

It always bemuses me to get a Chrismas card, or worse a Thanksgiving Card, from my MIL, whose home I spend Xmas in, and whom I will see at Tgiving.

Bookgirl

• Read The Hunger Games. Trust me.
    • Zo- Be Designs
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
My 7 year old is giving a Homer gift to DH this year.  I always take the kids shopping at the dollar store for presents for DH's stocking (and he does the same for me).  This year, DS picked out an orange play traffic cone as one of the presents.  It's currently wrapped and sitting under the tree (cause it won't fit in the stocking).  I'm pretty sure I know where that cone will end up come Christmas morning.
RIP to my blog

I play with paper, scissors and glue and this is where I Facebook about it:
http://www.facebook.com/ZoBeDesigns

my cards and papergoods: www.ZoBeDesigns.etsy.com

Nissarue

« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »

I was given a peace lily and told it would survive me.  We then packed in in the back of my car on a sub-freezing morning for a 5 hour car trip (probably only the first hour was sub-freezing for the poor thing).  It was very pitiful looking when we got home.  But it has survived.  It looks droopy when it wants water, and perks back up after a drink.  I'm pretty amazed at its resilience.  (Just shy of one year in my custody.)
Off on a  tangent (sorry):

I had one of those--one of the reasons it lived so long is that it was such a drama queen. I had it in the office first: "I'm dying, I'm dying!" on Monday morning (after I'd watered it on Friday), so I'd water it immediately. Then it would struggle upwards over the next couple of hours, "No, I'm fine, that's OK, don't you worry about me." And by 11am, "What? I'm fine, I don't know what you're talking about!"

I have a golden pothos in my living room that I forget to water (it's tough, too!) and sometimes I think I need a peace plant to keep it company, so we'll remember to water them both.

This sounds like a challenge I want to take!  If I ever come across one, I'll let the board know so we can start a betting pool to how long before it meets its demise.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »
I only managed to kill my peace plant by repotting it in a supply of "potting soil" from a compost place. I think the pH slowly poisoned it, and I was too lazy and irresponsible to repot it a second time.

Eeep!

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »
Similar to Lynn2000's Valentine's/Mother'sFather'sDay card philosophy--I don't send Christmas cards to people that I will see or speak to on the holiday itself.

It always bemuses me to get a Chrismas card, or worse a Thanksgiving Card, from my MIL, whose home I spend Xmas in, and whom I will see at Tgiving.

Interesting. To me Christmas cards are tangible something that I hang up in my house. And these days a lot of them have pictures of my friends and their families, etc. I kind of view them as completely separate from just a general Christmas greeting. (I don't really have the same feeling about birthday cards.)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

GreenHall

« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »

I was given a peace lily and told it would survive me.  We then packed in in the back of my car on a sub-freezing morning for a 5 hour car trip (probably only the first hour was sub-freezing for the poor thing).  It was very pitiful looking when we got home.  But it has survived.  It looks droopy when it wants water, and perks back up after a drink.  I'm pretty amazed at its resilience.  (Just shy of one year in my custody.)
Off on a  tangent (sorry):

I had one of those--one of the reasons it lived so long is that it was such a drama queen. I had it in the office first: "I'm dying, I'm dying!" on Monday morning (after I'd watered it on Friday), so I'd water it immediately. Then it would struggle upwards over the next couple of hours, "No, I'm fine, that's OK, don't you worry about me." And by 11am, "What? I'm fine, I don't know what you're talking about!"

I have a golden pothos in my living room that I forget to water (it's tough, too!) and sometimes I think I need a peace plant to keep it company, so we'll remember to water them both.

This sounds like a challenge I want to take!  If I ever come across one, I'll let the board know so we can start a betting pool to how long before it meets its demise.
I truly did assume it was coming with me to die, but the giver was insistent. I actually learned the name peace lily later, it was given to me as a "Spath" (for the Latin  name Spathiphyllum).

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2014, 09:11:32 PM »
Collections are a mixed blessing! In high school, a friend of mine gave me a McDonald's Happy Meal toy that was part of an in-joke between us. It was a frog. I started college and had that sitting on my desk. People started giving me frogs. More and more and more. Now I'm known as the frog person, all from that one little Happy Meal toy! LOL. Fortunately, I came to actually really like frogs. I do try to discourage the frog gifts now, because people started giving me just any ugly thing that had a frog on it. I say that I have a lot of frogs now and am trying to be selective. (True.)

Now people have switched to boxers. (The dog breed. I own two and volunteer with a rescue.) Again, I love some of them, but I also get some incredibly hideous things just because they have a boxer on them.

Girly

« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »

Interesting. To me Christmas cards are tangible something that I hang up in my house. And these days a lot of them have pictures of my friends and their families, etc. I kind of view them as completely separate from just a general Christmas greeting. (I don't really have the same feeling about birthday cards.)

Me too. I LOVE getting the cards every year. I use them as part of my decorations (some of them are just so pretty!) and a lot of my family includes family pictures in them as well. It's great for the extended family that I don't get to see often, and for the family I DO see often, or even on that day, I love going back to the old pictures and looking at them.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
Well, getting a photo as the card isn't the same thing as just getting a greeting card with a signature. It's weird to me; it always feels strange.

To me, greeting cards are just stationery. And why would you write me Christmas greetings when you will see me up to, on, and after the holiday itself?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
Well, getting a photo as the card isn't the same thing as just getting a greeting card with a signature. It's weird to me; it always feels strange.

To me, greeting cards are just stationery. And why would you write me Christmas greetings when you will see me up to, on, and after the holiday itself?

I get birthday cards from people who see me on my birthday. I don't see anything strange about that, so why would getting Christmas cards from people I see at Christmas be any different?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2014, 09:53:02 PM »
I didn't say you had to agree with me.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »

Neither did I. I thought this was a discussion thread. Why the harsh response?

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »
I think there's a difference between people who buy "Homer's bowling ball" gifts because they simply want to use it themselves, and people who buy them because they really want the recipient to share their interests.

For example, a friend of mine had a girlfriend who loved books by [Children's Author]. She'd grown up with those books, was a huge fan, and wanted my friend to share that interest. So for their first Christmas together, she bought him a book by [Children's Author] in the hope that it would spark his interest, and result in those books becoming meaningful to him too.

My friend read the book and thought it was ok, but he wasn't interested in reading any more and becoming a fan, like his girlfriend. (Luckily, she wasn't too disappointed). In this case, I'd give the girlfriend a pass, because she had geniunely good intentions, and her "Homer gift" was simply because she was excited about the prospect of her and my friend enjoying the books together. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »

Neither did I. I thought this was a discussion thread. Why the harsh response?

I felt more than a little "argued with." Enjoy your greeting cards.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
I think there's a difference between people who buy "Homer's bowling ball" gifts because they simply want to use it themselves, and people who buy them because they really want the recipient to share their interests.

For example, a friend of mine had a girlfriend who loved books by [Children's Author]. She'd grown up with those books, was a huge fan, and wanted my friend to share that interest. So for their first Christmas together, she bought him a book by [Children's Author] in the hope that it would spark his interest, and result in those books becoming meaningful to him too.

My friend read the book and thought it was ok, but he wasn't interested in reading any more and becoming a fan, like his girlfriend. (Luckily, she wasn't too disappointed). In this case, I'd give the girlfriend a pass, because she had geniunely good intentions, and her "Homer gift" was simply because she was excited about the prospect of her and my friend enjoying the books together.

That's a good point. Wanting someone to share your interests isn't the same thing. That way, you're giving the recipient something that they admittedly don't necessarily like now but you're hoping that they will like it and thus will get use out of the gift. A true bowling ball present is hoping that the recipient won't actually use it at all and thus you can use it instead. Some of my favorite presents have been things I didn't necessarily want at the time but that I ultimately used and enjoyed. (And conversely, someone can get you a truly awful gift that has nothing to do with anything you like and it still isn't a bowling ball because it isn't something the giver wants. Some people are just terrible gift givers, and some may be sending other messages.)