News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 29, 2016, 11:05:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange person on craigslist (who'd have thought?)  (Read 1925 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Strange person on craigslist (who'd have thought?)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 06:01:16 PM »
The biggest red flag on that ad was that Craigslist is not the right site for it. Someone who is interested in meeting other people with similar interests in order to generate friendships should join or start a group on MeetUp. I would hesitate to answer such an ad for that very reason.

I just did something scary and made a profile on that site.

I want friends too, but craigslist is intimidating.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »
So, I'm in NYC, and while I don't have a HUGE experience with Craigslist, I have found both good quality stuff (to buy) and roommates there.

I think it's definitely a case of keeping your eyes peeled for shysters of all sorts, but it's definitely possible to find good quality people (and gently used things) there.

Even in NYC, MeetUp doesn't always have the greatest chance of finding people, I think in part because Craigslist is way more infamous and out there in people's minds that MeetUp. I've done some cool group stuff on MeetUp too, but (for instance), I've gone to a really cool dance lesson/open dance time series of events that I found on Craigslist. I asked them why they don't advertise on MeetUp, and the guy running it gave me the blankest expression ever. He'd never heard of it.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »
I was trying to keep my answer at a reasonable length, because I tend to get wordy.  But I did say I was her age and married, mentioned that I enjoyed reading and sewing as well as knit and crochet, my next quilting project, and talked about the problems I've had connecting with local women (most women my age around here don't work full time, so club events are almost exclusively held during the work day).  Meetup is not very popular, I've looked.  Maybe it was the word  "clicked".  Who knows.

Yep with these details, I think she's a little strange to say the least! Perhaps it's the "clicked" part, thinking that it had different undertones but still that's a strange one all around.

I know what you mean by trying for a reasonable length, I'm a wordy one myself  :P

I've heard not so great things about Meet Up. There's also a "girlfriends" site for ladies to find platonic girlfriends like that. I was excited when I saw it existed but the only thing that happened was I talked to a really pushy girl who once we exchanged numbers acted a mess. Then when I told her I was moving an hour away she flipped out and was like "don't ever talk to me again" and blocked me from facebook  :o Bullet dodged on that one. That was one of those "my guard was down way too low, never again." moments that I had forgotten about until now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:16:16 AM by flyersandunicorns »

malfoyfan13

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
Weird response all right.  I'm in agreement with those who say Craigslist is an odd place for friend-seeking, though.  I would not answer any ads of that type on Craigslist because, like others here, I'm extremely skeptical of people who would post that type of ad there.  But then I read too many crime stories, so I tend to be suspicious by nature. 

I think I would look for like-minded new friends in person, at a class or lecture or outing.  I've met my beading friends that way. 

DanaJ

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »
The biggest red flag on that ad was that Craigslist is not the right site for it. Someone who is interested in meeting other people with similar interests in order to generate friendships should join or start a group on MeetUp. I would hesitate to answer such an ad for that very reason.

Can someone clarify... I thought MeetUp was for organizing group types of events, and not so individual people looking for other common-interest, individuals.

lowspark

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »

Can someone clarify... I thought MeetUp was for organizing group types of events, and not so individual people looking for other common-interest, individuals.

Yes, Meetup is for group events... for people with a common interest, i.e. whatever the group's theme happens to be. Once you join the group, you would have the opportunity to meet several people with that interest, thus opening up possibilities for friendships with those with whom you mesh.

If you're looking to make friends, I would think that this would be a better way than putting an ad on Craigslist because you are meeting several people at once, all presumably with that interest, instead of organizing a separate meeting with each person.

I've bought and sold several things on Craigslist and never had any issues with safety or people I was nervous about being around so I'm not skittish about using Craigslist. But for making friends, it just doesn't seem like the right venue.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

flyersandunicorns

• Orange Crush
  • Up Above The Ropes
    • Love Moonsaults - Livejournal
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
To be fair, Craigslist does have actual discussion forms, so it's not like they're posting ads in an inappropriate area. It's just a really large net to cast to weed through possible liars and scammers is my biggest worry.

However I have made close friends with people on a large celebrity news community that others have classified as a place where there are lots of people who are up to no good. I don't think it's a red flag to post to CL for friends but I do think it's not necessarily the best route if someone is serious. You do have to start somewhere though. I do think it's strange that someone won't even talk on a messenger, it's not like anyone asked to exchange phone numbers >_<

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:34 AM »
I recently heard that at least one of the dating apps out there has a 'looking for a friend' option, in addition to dating.  I thought that was pretty cool.

cicero

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 10:24:22 AM »
that is a very weird response. who knows? A year ago, in spite of the many many judge judy/judge millian cases i've seen with problems stemming from craigslist, i tried to find an apartment to rent through craigslist. it was just a weird experieince. After carefully weeding through what seemed to be definite scams/weird ads, i responded to a few of the nicer ones (with details, with addresses, with photos, with names of people, with emails that were the "name@gmail" rather than the weird type ("kdklasjeiwojds@hotmail"). I got a few replies from totally different names, about different emails, telling me to send them more details about me (bank details, references etc.

OTOH - i joined a local hiking group that's bee around for centuries and they use the meetup app which i find very useful.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »
I recently heard that at least one of the dating apps out there has a 'looking for a friend' option, in addition to dating.  I thought that was pretty cool.

UDate did many, many years ago. I met a very good friend that way. When I was dealing with my divorce and she was going through some rough times with her kids, we were able to support each other. Nearly 15 years later, we're still in touch.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.