Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 33350 times)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »
Went through my closet and armoire again and gathered up 4-5 kitchen-sized trashbags of clothes. My rule was I had to absolutely love something to keep it.  Some I bought vowing I'd lose the weight and get into them. They're now several years old and dusty, but still nice. I've decided to try to love my body the way it is now. So, out they went (donated). Yes, I still have too small clothes that I'm not ready to give up yet, maybe the next time. Baby steps.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2014, 08:51:05 PM »
I paid my credit card bills on line and *filed the paperwork*!  I also filed my cable bill and any receipts that were in my wallet.  I hope I can keep this up and keep the hoarder room from reverting back to a hoarder room.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #422 on: July 17, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
I'm currently going through my bookshelves. At this point I probably have a shelf full of books that are going somewhere, plus the four large piles on the floor. I've promised myself that two of those piles will be dealt with by Saturday night. The library book sale people are going to love me.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #423 on: July 17, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
We are still on vacation - we get home Saturday around lunch time (local) - we're about 80 minutes from home, so it won't take too long.

Decluttering will have to wait while I do a little bit of catch up on laundry...I have some ideas on where to start.

I have some clothes that are two sizes too small that might end up being sorted out, when & if I get down to that size again, I'm going to want new clothes!  So some of them may end up going to a charity shop...

I may also line up the various coffee makers and see if anyone in the family needs a French press....I can't get rid of all the spares until after VorGuy retires, because there are time when we need one coffee pot, one for decaf, and a third for hot water for chocolate or tea - but after he retires (about 18 months) - I can sort the kitchen out a bit more ruthlessly.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Lynn2000

« Reply #424 on: July 17, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »
I had two suitcases--small and large--and I threw the large one away because it was broken, and then the small one was donated because I really don't use it. And then I bought a new large one, because I'm going on a trip for work soon.

I also donated a bag of clothes and a set of sheets. The sheets weren't "worn" but they were old and I was tired of them, and felt I had too many sheet sets for their designated storage area. They are dark blue with stars--the stars used to glow in the dark but not anymore. However as sheets they are still perfectly fine.

As a start for my next donation bag I have a pair of yoga pants that are way too big. I'm on my second round through the shirts in my closet, looking for ones that are too big, to get rid of, but I haven't encountered any yet. Oh, also I threw out a pair of socks the other day that were worn. I have a ton of worn socks that I'm keeping for crafts already, so out they went.

I have also been anti-cluttering, as in, I have not bought a single book all year. I am on track to read a record number of books this year, after which I almost always send the book away from my apartment.
~Lynn2000

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #425 on: July 17, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
I have 2 coffee makers  that I have as backup for the current one I've been using for about 13 years.  Maybe I should put them in the Garage Sale pile.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #426 on: July 17, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
I'm going back through my closet this weekend and getting rid of more clothes that are too large. I refuse to keep them since I don't ever plan to be able to fit into them again. Added incentive, I guess.

gmatoy

« Reply #427 on: July 17, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
I have 2 coffee makers  that I have as backup for the current one I've been using for about 13 years.  Maybe I should put them in the Garage Sale pile.

Warning: That is like asking for the current one to break down! (Go ahead and do it, I'm just kidding!)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #428 on: July 17, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
A good place to donate sheets, towels, blankets, etc. is your local animal shelter or your own veterinarian.

gmatoy

« Reply #429 on: July 17, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
A good place to donate sheets, towels, blankets, etc. is your local animal shelter or your own veterinarian.
I gave a lot of pieces of polar fleece to one in my community.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2014, 09:28:11 AM »
Cleaned out my closet- threw away about six bras, some old and bedraggled some brand new never worn that I bought by mistake but couldn't bring myself to toss "cause they're still new". Yeah, well new or not , I'm never going to wear that side pinching uncomfortable underwire minimizer.

Eta: I also tossed other old bedraggled clithing- one big bag full

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2014, 10:25:32 AM »
I just 'inherited' 3 large boxes of sheets and blankets from a friend who was cleaning out the house after his mother died.  And there's another lady in my church who wants me to come get her fabric collection, too, and a couple more friends who are cleaning out their collections and giving a pile to me.

I seem to have become the official 'inheritor' of all things fabric and sewing from friends and church family.  Why?  Because I work with a rescure organization that gets together once a year and sews up hundreds of kennel comforters for shelter kennels.  Last year we made more than 600 kennel comforters.  This year, who knows?  Most of the stuff that I've been collecting (and FILLING my fabric room with!) is going to that organization.   

So yeah, I'm piling up the clutter again, but it's for a good cause, and it's all going away one day.  For the animals!    ;D

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
I did another round of decluttering my closet. I have to strike when I'm in "ruthless" mode. I now have a couple piles of too large, or not-worn-in-a-while clothing. I've found as I get smaller, I'm not quite as upset at getting rid of the larger stuff as I was before. Two dresses I bought last year, which aren't worth trying to take in. Those went, along with some other stuff, and things I haven' really worn. I've come to the realization while I can use some black tops, I don't need as many as I have, and some of the older ones are going.

And then I went online and bought a dress to replace the two I'm donating :)

gmatoy

« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »
I did another round of decluttering my closet. I have to strike when I'm in "ruthless" mode. I now have a couple piles of too large, or not-worn-in-a-while clothing. I've found as I get smaller, I'm not quite as upset at getting rid of the larger stuff as I was before. Two dresses I bought last year, which aren't worth trying to take in. Those went, along with some other stuff, and things I haven' really worn. I've come to the realization while I can use some black tops, I don't need as many as I have, and some of the older ones are going.

Well, two out and one in is a pretty good ratio!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »

Well, two out and one in is a pretty good ratio!

It is but I've bought others too. But in a smaller size  :)