News:

• April 25, 2018, 12:11:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polorizing Food Poll  (Read 3822 times)

metallicafan

Re: Polorizing Food Poll
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
I love raisins and eat them as a snack. My brother hated them. He called them "dried up old stale grapes."

The taste of caraway seeds remind me licorice, fennel or anise, which I dislike. I always thought i didn't like rye bread until I realized it was the caraway seeds.

The Abbť Voltaire, alias Arouet,
Never denounced the seed of the caraway;

Sufficient proof, if proof we need,
That he never bit into a caraway seed.
----- Ogden Nash

I like the caraway seeds in rye bread. I also like fennel seeds in my Italian sausage.  I love raisins.

catwhiskers

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
Even though I donít share it, I can understand the antipathy to most of these foods. But I am puzzled as to why blue cheese is so polarizing. For those who want avoid it at all costs, why? Is it the color, the strong taste, the idea that it is made with a fungus, something else?

If itís the fungus, what about other cheeses made with fungus, such as Camembert and Brie?

For me it's the smell. I can't bring myself to eat something that smells like the inside of OH's workboots. In general, if I don't like the smell of something, I don't like the taste of it either. I have only found one exception to this and if I smell it whilst consuming it, it totally ruins the taste for me.

gramma dishes

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »
I have heard it said that 'taste' is a three step process.  First we taste with our eyes.  If a food looks fresh and colorful and attractive to us it makes us want to eat it.  Then we smell it and again, if it smells wonderful with scents that appeal to us we want to try it.  Then the actual taste buds in our mouths confirm what our eyes and noses told us first.

I think that for me at least it's true.  If it doesn't look or smell good then I want no part of it.

But for me the real deal breaker is texture.  Can't even be near clams, oysters or liver without feeling like I'm going to throw up.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »
There is also what is called ďfinishĒ or ďaftertaste.Ē This is often used to describe wine, but I did a tea tasting once and the ďtea sommelierĒ used it. This is where a food or drink sort of changes taste while in your mouth, or, more usually, a flavor that lingers after you swallow. Itís why certain things should be savored, rather than gulped. For instance, for wine, a complex finish that lasts for a while is often part of drinking the best wine. Itís also why you might want to gulp other things, like medicines.

The reason for this isnít fully understood. Here is one theory
Aftertaste, is thought to be remaining chemicals from food or drink, still affecting the gustatory cells on the tongue, back of the throat, epiglottis, and the upper part of your esophagus. This taste, being the sensation left over after the other factors of overall taste, like smell and texture, are no longer affecting the brain.

As for texture, thatís what got me for durian. I could handle the odor and the flavor wasnít bad, but the texture was sort of like a gluey puddingóugh! Just didnít work for a fruit. Some people have told me they think the texture is the best part.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2018, 10:51:16 AM »
A lot of things have a bad finish to me.  Tuna leaves a bad taste in my mouth, while tasting fine while I'm eating it.  There are also a few brands of ice cream that have a bad aftertaste!

Twik

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »
Even though I donít share it, I can understand the antipathy to most of these foods. But I am puzzled as to why blue cheese is so polarizing. For those who want avoid it at all costs, why? Is it the color, the strong taste, the idea that it is made with a fungus, something else?

If itís the fungus, what about other cheeses made with fungus, such as Camembert and Brie?

The smell of blue cheese isn't the problem to me. It's the taste. It's bitter, and doesn't have any sort of "reward" (aftertaste, crunch, or tang) that some other bitterish foods do. It's just not a pleasure to eat. I'd eat it rather than starve, but that's about it.

I like Brie a lot, sort of middle ground on Camember.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Mikayla

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »
How about Candy Corn? It's a hard No for me although I know lots of people who love it.

(On an unrelated note, this is my 1000th post on EHell. Woohoo!)

I LOVE Candy corn.  I could sit there and eat a whole bag.
Something else I ADORE is butter mints.  I could eat bags of those.

Reading through all of this, you and I are separated at birth.  I've agreed with everything you said.

I also love candy corn M&Ms.  They don't taste like candy corn that much, but they are insanely addictive. 

Mikayla

« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has strong feelings about cumin.  I love all spices but this one, and it's even been suggested it might be an allergy.  For years I avoided Mexican restaurants thinking I hated the food, but once I learned how to avoid cumin, I of course love the cuisine!

When I'm around it, it feels like it's escaping through my pores. 

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2018, 10:50:22 PM »

The smell of blue cheese isn't the problem to me. It's the taste. It's bitter, and doesn't have any sort of "reward" (aftertaste, crunch, or tang) that some other bitterish foods do. It's just not a pleasure to eat. I'd eat it rather than starve, but that's about it.

I like Brie a lot, sort of middle ground on Camember.
I canít tell the difference between Brie and Camembert. I adore blue cheese.

Iím aussie, so of course I adore Vegemite. Excellent on cheap white bread with hot milky tea.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:53:18 PM by oz diva »

Victoria

Sebastienne

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has strong feelings about cumin.  I love all spices but this one, and it's even been suggested it might be an allergy.  For years I avoided Mexican restaurants thinking I hated the food, but once I learned how to avoid cumin, I of course love the cuisine!

Weirdly, I love cumin in cooked food, but the spice itself smells like stanky body odor to me. The smell either dissipates or is overwhelmed by other odors/flavors when I cook with it, though.

Nuku

« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »

Weirdly, I love cumin in cooked food, but the spice itself smells like stanky body odor to me. The smell either dissipates or is overwhelmed by other odors/flavors when I cook with it, though.

I love cumin but have heard that some people taste off flavors in it. I enjoy the smell but can see how others might not. On the other hand, I think cold pinto beans smell terrible, but they're fine when cooked.

I read How We Eat with Our Eyes and Think with Our Stomach not that long ago. I'd recommend it to everyone on this thread. ;D