News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 29, 2015, 03:29:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phrases/sayings you hate  (Read 96417 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Phrases/sayings you hate
« Reply #1665 on: March 09, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
I dislike sentences ending in "with."

Can I come with?  Would you like me to go with?  Should she go with?

There's a whole hunk of sentence missing.

There's a certain phrase said by many in this area that makes my back teeth itch: "Where you at?" Snarky!Violin is, fortunately, caged, or she would bellow every time the phrase was said, "Behind the 'at'!!"
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

scotcat60

« Reply #1666 on: March 10, 2015, 04:25:05 AM »
 I dislike sentences ending in "with."

A preposition is something you should never end sentence with.

sylviatexas

« Reply #1667 on: March 10, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »
I've always liked

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." -
Winston Churchill

Mergatroyd

« Reply #1668 on: March 10, 2015, 02:02:12 PM »
I think someone already nominated "broke the internet" but I am putting it again. It was odd the first time, mildly annoying the next time, and now every darn sentance about Kim K or anyone who does anything remotely similar to her has to include the phrase. No, she did not break the internet by dying her hair blonde, and no, neither did Carol V, who has been going progressively lighter for several months, and isn't copy catting the K.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1669 on: March 10, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
I've always liked

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." -
Winston Churchill

Am I remembering that C. S. Lewis wrote a short essay saying that the rule was kind of  useless/outmoded/impractical?

I am a grammar perfectionist in my own mind. However, the ignoring of that rule has never, ever,  annoyed me.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #1670 on: March 10, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
It's not even a real rule, and never has been real rule.

http://grammar.about.com/od/grammarfaq/f/terminalprepositionmyth.htm

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1671 on: March 10, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »
I've always liked

Winston Churchill

Am I remembering that C. S. Lewis wrote a short essay saying that the rule was kind of  useless/outmoded/impractical?

I am a grammar perfectionist in my own mind. However, the ignoring of that rule has never, ever,  annoyed me.
>:D Small boy, to his mother who has just climbed the stairs to read him a bedtime story: Why did you bring that book I don't want to be read to out of up for?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Elisabunny

« Reply #1672 on: March 10, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »
I've always liked

Winston Churchill

>:D Small boy, to his mother who has just climbed the stairs to read him a bedtime story: Why did you bring that book I don't want to be read to out of up for?

;D ;D ;D ;D
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Ponydoc

« Reply #1673 on: March 10, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »
This might be a rural Ontario phrase, but I cannot stand "That'll learn ya!".  Instead of "That will teach them!".  So many things wrong with the phrase; I'm cringing right now.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1674 on: March 10, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »
I've always liked

Winston Churchill

In one version I read, the book was about Australia, so the punchline became "... be read to about Down Under out of up for?"
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Emmy

« Reply #1675 on: March 10, 2015, 10:40:35 PM »
It may have been mentioned before, but as a response to "How are you?" I hate hate hate the phrase "fat, dumb, and happy."  I know someone whose stock reply is that, and he is in fact overweight, but ugh.

I never heard that one before or even knew it was a phrase.

I think it is one thing to be self deprecating, but it is annoying when the person deprecates him/herself and somebody else.  For example 'people like us wouldn't fit in at a place like that'.  It happened to me a few times and I've been tempted to say 'speak for yourself'.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #1676 on: March 11, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
I hate the word "caravan" when referring to a bunch of vehicles going to one place.  I don't know why, it just bugs me. I'd rather hear "We'll follow you guys" or "You can follow us." 

I really hate the phrase "touch base."  Along with "home base" and "war room" anywhere outside of the military.

Also "skinny b _tch."  Just because you're thin doesn't mean you get to be called a "b _tch."