News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 12:56:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3768318 times)

JeanFromBNA

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #11640 on: December 04, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »

We were in the market and noticed that they had placed the new, vegan "Impossible Burger" right in the middle of the meat section. Yes, it's supposed to look and taste just like real meat, but I can't see vegetarians or vegans being happy about walking down rows and rows of steaks, ground beef, pork, and chicken in order to find their food.  "People unclear on the concept."

It was probably a case that the burger needed to be at the same temperature as meat, so rather than having a whole section  dedicated to it , they thought they would lump it in with the meat.  they would have been better to put it at the start of the meat section (so vegetarian don't have to walk past all the meat)or in a separate vegetarian section

I can't imagine vegans or vegetarians even going anywhere near the meat section.   Wouldn't it make more sense to keep it in the refrigerated portion of the produce part of the store?  Maybe with signs pointing to it (if it's a new product)?

Is it possible there were two sections that stored that product? I am a meat eater, but if I were hosting vegetarians, I would like it if meat substitutes were easy for me to find. (I would, however, make the effort to locate a suitable product if it was not in my normal section of the store.)
Or their marketing research told them that their market was meat eaters trying to eat healthier, or eat less meat. 

gramma dishes

« Reply #11641 on: December 04, 2017, 02:01:39 PM »

Or their marketing research told them that their market was meat eaters trying to eat healthier, or eat less meat.

Oh.  I never thought of that, but it does make sense.  But when you say "their" do you mean the product's marketing team or the store's marketing team?

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #11642 on: December 04, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
My experience shows that it's something grocery stores are still figuring out.
One local grocery store has veggie burgers in 4 places: Boca, store brand and Morningstar in the frozen food section next to the frozen juice; one brand next to the frozen hamburger patties; Amy's, Dr. Praeger's, Quorn, and Gardein in the organic frozen food area; and one kind of refrigerated patties in the natural/organic refrigerated area near the tofu and hummus.

Our Walmart has them in the produce section (refrigerated) and in the freezer section near the frozen waffles or something.

I did shop at one store that put them in the middle of all the frozen meat products, and since I always skip the butcher part of the store, I thought they'd stopped carrying them altogether for months.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #11643 on: December 04, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »
In the case of brand names (rather than store brand), the brand's folks may be lobbying the makers of such decisions regarding specific placement. That is a huge factor in the placement of everything from hair care to breakfast cereal, at least in the US.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

redcat

« Reply #11644 on: December 05, 2017, 09:40:56 AM »
In the UK too.  Stuff goes where the manufacturer pays for it to be put.  We'll have none of your logic here!