Author Topic: S/O re Asking About Age  (Read 1210 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O re Asking About Age
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
I've only seen the Chicken Dance once and it was at a Wedding in Minnesota.

All the others mentioned are standard for Sail Away parties on ships.  Believe me, when two ships are gearing up to sail, the battle between the Macarena and YMCA can be something to behold. 

Goosey

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 10:42:15 AM »
I think if your experience is limited to parties where the tango is danced, you should be careful about jumping to offense at the more common experiences of others. These dances span decades and are still alive and well today. Your friends were naming dances that would get them dancing.

How this was a strike at your age is still a mystery. Was it because older songs were included? Then what would they be saying if they wrote "Tango" - I assume that's much older? Or was the offense that these were not songs you would expect played at parties you attend? Still - how is that about age?

ETA: We actually had to request that the Chicken Dance NOT be played at our wedding - it's that common!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
I think if your experience is limited to parties where the tango is danced, you should be careful about jumping to offense at the more common experiences of others. These dances span decades and are still alive and well today. Your friends were naming dances that would get them dancing.

How this was a strike at your age is still a mystery. Was it because older songs were included? Then what would they be saying if they wrote "Tango" - I assume that's much older? Or was the offense that these were not songs you would expect played at parties you attend? Still - how is that about age?

yeah..La Cumparsita was written in 1916. So it's older by far than any of the songs mentioned.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »
the Chicken Dance was done at a friend's wedding. Complete with a guy in a chicken suit.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »

ETA: We actually had to request that the Chicken Dance NOT be played at our wedding - it's that common!

Ha, yeah, I'm eternally sick of that song due to a store where I worked that had musical greeting cards. One of them played the Chicken Dance and customers played with it all.the.time.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
Count me as being confused as to the age-related thing, too. I'm 52 - there, I said it!  :) I hear songs from the '40s to the present at parties and weddings. We all dance to them. In my case, badly.  :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
"The Twist" was from about 1962; I don't remember whether it was even used in National Lampoon's Animal House, which takes place during that year.  Of course, the movie came out in 1978 and people still think it's funny.

OK; now I have to watch it.

I know the Beatles version was also in Ferris Beuller's Day Off, so in case anyone missed it up till that point it brought it up again for the kids of the 80's. :)

I also remember "YMCA" and "Electric Slide" being played at the roller rink as a teen. (90's)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

judecat

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 12:35:27 AM »
The last party I went to that actually played "YMCA" was my father in law's 80th birthday party,  and it was not the song that packed the dance floor.   Actually the only people who danced to it where the older people. 
Electric slide is the one that packed that dance floor.

On the other hand,  the last work related affair I attended,  the twist was the one that had everyone up and moving.