Author Topic: What do you know about egg allergies?  (Read 653 times)

m2kbug

What do you know about egg allergies?
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:46:38 AM »
My situation is strange.  Awhile ago I started getting stomach cramps when I ate eggs, scrambled or fried.  I thought maybe I have developed an egg allergy.  I can eat eggs in mixtures (cakes or recipes), mayonnaise, or salad dressing, but plain eggs seem to be a problem.  Then at work for the Christmas party, someone brought deviled eggs, which I ate, forgetting that I should probably avoid eggs, and there were zero problems.  I ate a few.  I figured all that stomach cramping must have been a fluke and made myself a fried egg sandwich for lunch, which resulted in cramps and a considerable amount of time in the bathroom.  I'm wondering what the heck is going on.  Does cooking an egg a certain way denature the offensive proteins enough or change them in a way to be a problem?  So a boiled or raw egg is okay, but fried, scrambled, or poached is not?

Does anyone know or have experience on this?  I looked online, and do not see anything specific to my own issue.  Maybe not getting sick from the hard-boiled eggs was a fluke.  I'm not eager to run an experiment.   

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: What do you know about egg allergies?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 04:57:39 AM »
It could be the combination of egg and fat together - I've had food sensitivities for a long time, and now have IBS, and I get much worse reactions to certain things if I eat them in the same meal as certain types of fat. Like, mushrooms alone is bad; butter alone is no problem at all; mushrooms plus a lot of butter is baaaaad. Fatty roast beef or lamb is fine; heavily herbed/spiced stuff is usually fine; fatty roast beef or lamb prepared with a heavy herb/spice coating is bad.

Unfortunately the only way to find out for sure is to run a series of experiments on yourself, and keep good records. :P If you decide to go that route, I strongly suggest doing so with the assistance of a dietician - mine identified a bunch of triggers that I'd never even considered as possible problems, because she knew what might be problems and how to test properly.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:09:56 AM »
I don't know much, just that my breastfed daughter gets really fussy and miserable if I eat anything that contains eggs - sometimes babies aren't able to digest certain things.  If I don't eat eggs she is a perfect baby.    Obviously in her case she is getting something through the milk so I don't think cooking makes a big difference, although baked she gets a smaller quantity (in a slice of cake for example) than if I ate scrambled eggs for lunch.  It's a pain as I always used to eat eggs for breakfast or lunch several days per week! 

But I can't see what the difference would be between boiled/fried etc.   If you find out definitely let us know!    I know that with dairy allergy the cooking method can make a difference - in baked products the protein is somewhat neutralised.   Whereas more direct in milk or similar it can cause problems.   Perhaps there is something similar with eggs.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

nayberry

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:19:31 AM »
i have a slight egg allergy,  as in i can eat them all i like but if a flu shot has egg proteins in it i have the worst reaction; my arm swells and gets so hot to the touch that i could almost fry an egg on it! 
its very odd and kind of annoying as i would get the jab, but as we don't know if i'd react worse than that first time, i can't take that risk.