Author Topic: Virginia Beach or Ocean City?  (Read 415 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Virginia Beach or Ocean City?
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »
My guys and I miss the beach so we are thinking of heading either to Virginia Beach or Ocean City for a couple of days. Any opinions on which area is safer and more family friendly?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Virginia Beach or Ocean City?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:11:12 PM »
I'm from MD so I'm biased, but I like Ocean City.  Although Virginia Beach has a very nice bike path that I remember

POF

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:54 PM »
My brother and his girlfriend just discussed this at dinner tonight.  They like VA Beach better - they think it has a better family feel and that OCean City is too much of a party atmosphere.

I haven't been to either in years though.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »
We preferred Virginia Beach for the boogie boarding, although last time we were there (Aug '13) the shoreline was noticeably affected by hurricane Sandy. The slope into the water wasn't as gentle and the waves were rougher than they had been previously. If you choose VB the boardwalk is a lot of fun but for a less populated area go a bit further South to Croatan Beach. It's got clean restrooms, outdoor showers, a few stalls to change in, and public parking ($5 or $10 for the day). That was our favorite place!

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »
Ocean City, if only for the Fractured Prune donut shop.

kglory

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:50 AM »
Our family loves Rehoboth Beach, DE -- just a few miles up from Ocean City!  Fun, a little smaller, family friendly, lots of good food and boardwalk and Funland at night and fun beaches with good waves :) .

YummyMummy66

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 05:41:06 AM »
I have been to Ocean City, Maryland and Virginia Beach.    They are both nice beaches and both are family friendly.

I have never been to Ocean City, NJ.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Our family loves Rehoboth Beach, DE -- just a few miles up from Ocean City!  Fun, a little smaller, family friendly, lots of good food and boardwalk and Funland at night and fun beaches with good waves :) .

Bethany is nice too; just a bit further down, closer to Ocean City.

Specky

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
I'm going to be contrary and say head South from Va Beach and go to the Outer Banks.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »
I'm going to be contrary and say head South from Va Beach and go to the Outer Banks.

Funny you mention Outer Banks. My friend has a summer home there and has been bugging me about going out there. :) I might have to take her up on her offer.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »

Funny you mention Outer Banks. My friend has a summer home there and has been bugging me about going out there. :) I might have to take her up on her offer.

I've always wanted to go there too! Maybe someday....

Specky

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
I grew up on the Outer Banks.