Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 398225 times)

bionelly

Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2008, 11:51:34 PM »
So maybe someone can help me understand this.

Ever since I was little, I have gotten what might be called deja-vu moments, however I don't think that is the right word.  For example if I am having a conversation with someone, I know ahead of time exactly what they will say and I will say back, who will pass us on the road, what will happen in the background, etc.  These "clips" never last for more than a few seconds. 

When this is happening, I will always remember that "I dreamed this".  But IN THE DREAM, I was also thinking "I dreamed this".  And in that dream's dream, the same thing.  Like a two way mirror where you can see the same thing going back into eternity.

As I've gotten older, sadly these events have gotten farther and farther apart.  When I was in grade school, it was almost a daily occurrence.   My theory on this is that as children, we are much more open to things, until we get told over and over such things aren't possible.  It kind of "shuts down" that part of our psyche.  But I would sure love to get it back more often than I do now. 

Anyone else experience something like this?  My sorority sister in college is the only other person I know in real life that has gone through the same thing.  I just wish I knew what it means.  Any thoughts?

I don't know what it means, but I get that too.  I don't usually remember my dreams, but most of the ones I do remember that are at all possible in real life end up being like this.

Melxb

« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2008, 12:17:39 AM »
I agree that children are much more open to see things that adults cannot or will not see.  When I was a little girl I had imaginary friends that my mother swore she could almost see.  I have a 4 year old niece and I believe she has a touch of something in her.  She has full on conversations with people, little kids and adults, who I cannot see, but she can describe right down to their shoes.  It might be an overactive imagination, except that being sensitive to stuff runs in the women in my family.  Not every female has this "touch" but there are enough of us in my family that I believe my niece when she says that those people are actually there.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2008, 12:46:58 AM »
Haven't finished reading the entire thread but wanted to post a bit about my own experiences.  I'm a bit "sensitive" to things like this as I grew up in a house that was...haunted.  My mom still lives there and I could write pages and pages about that house. 

Since I want to get back to reading the thread, I'll just post the easiest one.  :) (and this one is not an experience I had in the house but it's one that still baffles me)

DH and I took the kiddos to San Antonio one spring break.  We stayed at the Emily Morgan Hotel.  I'd heard that the hotel was haunted so I took random pictures with my Canon digital camera. 

I didn't notice anything strange...at first.  The next day, I was looking back at the pictures and when I zoomed in, I realized that I had captured two "ghostly" images on one of the pictures.  You could actually see the ghostly shape of two people.  I showed it to my entire family. (we'd gone with extended family and they also saw what I saw)

We got home and I downloaded the pictures.  We checked to be sure that ghostly image had downloaded before we close the software...it had. 

My brother called me a few days later and asked me to email him the picture.  He wanted to show it to some friends.

I couldn't find the picture.  DH and I searched and searched for it.  DH is a software developer and I'm pretty computer literate so we KNOW we downloaded it properly.  We searched all files...it was gone.  All the other pictures were there.  They were numbered with one number missing...the one with the ghostly picture. 

Even now, 2 years later, I still have dreams about the Emily Morgan Hotel.

Tip: If you visit San Antonio, take the ghost tour.  It starts at the Alamo.  If you have a good guide, you'll learn alot.  Also, take random pictures of the Alamo at night...you might find something. 

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:52:09 AM by Roe »

mbt

« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2008, 12:53:57 AM »
This is a great thread, I've meant to come back to it but kept forgetting it was here!  I can relate to everybody's ghost stories, I've had a few experiences in my life, but none so interesting as what's living in the house we're living in at the moment. . .it's 120 years old and has something living in the basement and garage...

We don't talk about it much...we leave it alone and it leaves us alone - usually.  When the furnace was replaced last fall it got a little dicey for a few weeks. . .

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »
Anyone else experience something like this? 

Yep. 

I know that as a child, I was more responsive to odd things like this.  I taught myself to close it off. 

In my case, it was more than deja vu.  I experienced alot more things and was scared out of my wits so I trained myself to ignore, ignore, ignore.  Now I don't see/hear things like I used to.  I still might be able to but it's very rare for things to get through now.  My instinct is still something I listen too and it's pretty intense.

Just a quick story about my gut instinct.

My cousin, friend and I were in a car.  My cousin was the driver, friend was passenger and I was in the backseat...passenger side. 

We had just left the driveway when...and I am not lying...in my head came the words "I've got to take care of DS1." (he was 2 at the time) 

Halfway down the block, I asked my cousin to stop and I got out of the vehicle.  Cousin was quite annoyed with me as it had been my idea to take friend home....all the way across town. 

I said "I'm sorry but I have to stay."  Again, she was quite annoyed.

Halfway to my friends house, a drunk driver hit the passenger side of the vehicle.  The DD was coming so fast and was so drunk, he never even hit the brakes.  The car my cousin and friend were in...it was crushed.

My friend and cousin ended up on top of each other in a "teeny-weenny" space until the jaws of life were able to get them out.  The only thing that saved their life that night was the fact that they were wearing their seat belts.

My friend was worse off than my cousin and spent many weeks in ICU. (crushed pelvis, internal bleeding, etc, etc)

The backseat, where I would've been...was completely crushed.  I don't believe I would've survived.  I wouldn't have had my seatbelt on. 

God sent me an Angel. 

(wow, that's the first time I tell that story.  only family and close friends know about it)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2008, 01:08:58 AM »
She said she woke up because she felt her cat playing with her feet and it was tickling her, she kicked at it, felt nothing there and looked over to see her cat asleep on the pillow beside her. My cat was closed in the room with me and started hissing seconds before my roomate came running in the room. We moved out shortly after.

I believe this as one of my most terrifying experiences had to do with feeling a cat crawl up one side of my body when I was in bed one evening.  Only we didn't have a cat.  That one scared me a bit more than some of the other experiences and I still remember how it felt.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2008, 01:13:19 AM »
My father was disgusted when I finally blurted out that I had seen a ghost. He told me to go back to bed.

My father used to tell me the same thing.  He'd say things like "you're imaging things" etc, etc. 

It was only YEARS later (and by this time, my parents had already divorced and he was no longer living in the house) that he admitted...that yes, he too had a few experiences.  He felt he couldn't admit it to us 'cause he didn't want to scare us esp since we couldn't afford to move from the house when we were little. 

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2008, 01:23:50 AM »
Gosh, I have so many and in reading a few of the posts, I keep remembering more and more.  LOL

My cousin worked in a funeral home.  She'd always hear whispers and slight laughter...just people in conversation.  Every now and then, she'd hear a baby crying. 

She spoke to her supervisor thinking there was an explanation.

Supervisor's response: Yes, I know dear.  I hear them too.  Just turn on the radio. 

To this day, cousin has to sleep with the TV on to keep out the whispers.

One more for tonight.  LOL

An hour after DH's dad died, he felt a "hand" on his forearm.  At the spot, where he felt like someone was touching him, it was cool to the touch and had a 'numbing' feeling.

DH was executor and handled his father's estate.  Through all the stress and handling of papers, etc., etc...DH felt "that touch."

It was only after everything was settled, that it went away.

Six months later, his mom passed.  Again, he felt "the touch." 

He can go months w/o feeling it.  Then all of a sudden, it's there again. Only now, it'll only last for minutes vs days.  It always gives him comfort knowing (feeling) that his Dad is keeping an eye on him. 

Sandi Papaya

• candelita
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »

Ever since I was little, I have gotten what might be called deja-vu moments, however I don't think that is the right word.  For example if I am having a conversation with someone, I know ahead of time exactly what they will say and I will say back, who will pass us on the road, what will happen in the background, etc.  These "clips" never last for more than a few seconds. 

When this is happening, I will always remember that "I dreamed this".  But IN THE DREAM, I was also thinking "I dreamed this".  And in that dream's dream, the same thing.  Like a two way mirror where you can see the same thing going back into eternity.

As I've gotten older, sadly these events have gotten farther and farther apart.  When I was in grade school, it was almost a daily occurrence.   My theory on this is that as children, we are much more open to things, until we get told over and over such things aren't possible.  It kind of "shuts down" that part of our psyche.  But I would sure love to get it back more often than I do now. 

Anyone else experience something like this?  My sorority sister in college is the only other person I know in real life that has gone through the same thing.  I just wish I knew what it means.  Any thoughts?

I get that same feeling every so often. In fact, it happened to me recently when, of all things, I bent over to tie my shoe. I was on campus at UC Berkeley, headed for a concert at Zellerbach Hall - and it's been a while since I was on the Cal campus (I didn't go to school there, but having grown up in the area, I went to a few graduations, concerts and such there). I've never actually been in Zellerbach Hall, either, until that night. But I had such a strong sense of deja vu, like I'd performed all those actions before, in exactly the same sequence, accompanied by the same people, etc. And I know it's been at least 2 years since I was last at Cal - I didn't go to Zellerbach that time, I went to the Greek Theater.

But it happens all the time, even in places that I know I've never been before. In fact, the deja vu was why I chose to go to the campus I went to - I had such a strong feeling of having been there before and something compelled me to go there "again." Funny thing was, before I'd started looking at colleges, I had no idea that this campus even existed. It just felt like "home" when I stepped onto the grounds.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »

That happens to me occasionally. The only difference is that in the "clips" there is always a horribly negative outcome but, as it's playing out in real-life, it's always a nice ending.

For example, let's say I was eating lunch with my parents.  As I'm sitting there in real life, I would see the clip in my head - I would see how we're seated, what we're eating, what's going to be said in the conversation, etc. a split second before it actually does.  In the clip version, though, my parents might start screaming at each other and one would storm off.  In real life, I would know at what point it should happen . . . but then instead of the screaming, the conversation would continue as normal and the clip would end.

Also, I'd never thought that I dreamt it, it always felt like a memory.

If that makes sense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Sandi Papaya

• candelita
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2008, 03:23:40 PM »
oh! My mom just told me a new one yesterday, and made me notice something:

for the last few mornings, she's gone out to the garage to find the dome light in her car turned on. The inside light in her car turns on automatically when she shuts off the ignition (our cars are the same make, some 6 years apart - mine does the same thing), but once you pull the key out of the ignition, the light shuts off. She hasn't recently (to her recall) had to turn the dome light on after turning off the ignition. It's more than mere coincidence that the light would be on multiple mornings in a row.

I've gone out to my own car (not in the garage) a few mornings to find MY dome light on recently. I've shrugged it off, because I'm absent-minded and it's entirely possible that I would have left it on from the night before.

Here's the thing: most of the times I've arrived home recently (and not gone out again), it's still been light out upon my arrival, so the dome light wasn't needed. My mom thinks it's my grandma coming around to say hello.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 03:41:51 PM by MsMoonbunny »

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »

I can explain it, but you have to accept some pretty hefty theories in order to accept the explanation...if that makes sense.

In school, we do time lines, we think of time in terms of days, months, year, etc...It's all done linearly. The past was behind us, the future is in front of us.
I was raised thinking of time as being not-quite cyclic. Not in the "hystory repeats" sort of cyclic.
"Time" runs in a spiral, like a spring. It curves around itself, constantly. When you are asleep, in meditative state, or open to it, your brain will wander from one part of the coil to another part, that if we were to pinch everything down, like when you want to make a spring jump, the parts of the coil are touching. Our brain is aware that the current time as almost always touching the past and future times, and it 'remembers' things that haven't happened yet, and things that happened way way way back when, and things that will not happne until long after we are gone.

Theres my theory on de-ja vu, and almost de-ja vu. You are just remembering things that haven't happened yet, because your brain remembers them...I really hope I don't cound crazy, sometimes.

emmeileia

« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »
This is an animal ghost story that is currently happening to myself and my co-workers.
I work in a large sled dog kennel with about 140 huskies. Puppies, running dogs, and the older retired dogs who have not been adopted out to homes all live in a big two acre kennel. The way it is set up is that there are individual kennels surrounding two large play areas. (Boys & girls)
Earlier this winter one of our younger running dogs, Theodore, had not been eating for a couple of days. When we took him to the vet, it turned out he had advanced cancer and had to be put down. It was very sad for all of us in the kennel, as we had lost his brother Alvin earlier that winter (long story short, he caught his collar and choked himself). The remaining brother, Simon, had a hard time losing his both littermates and was very lonely for a while.
After Theo died, though, odd things started happening in the kennel. The first incident was a couple of weeks after he passed when several of my coworkers and I were in the dog shed (a building attatched to the kennel where we keep harnesses and such). A bucket of nails randomly fell off a shelf. None of us were near it at the time and could not see any reason for it to have fallen when it did.
At the time, we made a joke about how it was 'the ghost of a sled dog past', but we were all thinking of Theo.
It was around this time that Alvin snapped right out of his mourning. Literally overnight. One evening he was still despondent when we put him in his kennel, the next morning he was happy and raring to go.
Lately when I am in the kennel, I have heard scratching coming from Theo's old kennel when all the dogs have been let out into the yard. I have also seen a white dog (Theo was white and tan) running through the yard out of the corner of my eye when all the dogs are in their kennels.
My coworkers and I have spoken about this. We all think Theo came back to the kennels because he was so happy there. He was a sweet dog who absolutley loved sledding. We are happy to think he is still there with us.

Oh, and before anyone asks...yes, we named them after the Chipmunks. We tend to do a lot of themes with the dog names.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »

I can explain it, but you have to accept some pretty hefty theories in order to accept the explanation...if that makes sense.

In school, we do time lines, we think of time in terms of days, months, year, etc...It's all done linearly. The past was behind us, the future is in front of us.
I was raised thinking of time as being not-quite cyclic. Not in the "hystory repeats" sort of cyclic.
"Time" runs in a spiral, like a spring. It curves around itself, constantly. When you are asleep, in meditative state, or open to it, your brain will wander from one part of the coil to another part, that if we were to pinch everything down, like when you want to make a spring jump, the parts of the coil are touching. Our brain is aware that the current time as almost always touching the past and future times, and it 'remembers' things that haven't happened yet, and things that happened way way way back when, and things that will not happne until long after we are gone.

Theres my theory on de-ja vu, and almost de-ja vu. You are just remembering things that haven't happened yet, because your brain remembers them...I really hope I don't cound crazy, sometimes.

No, you don't sound crazy, and I've heard something like this before.  It's made the most sense to me - but I guess my follow up question would be - hoping this is not an inappropriate question for this thread or EHell - but this makes me wonder if everything in life is pre-determined?  Or am I just remembering this because our choices were the same as I "remembered"?  SuperAntwo said that she would remember the scene going a different way - her parents would start fighting - but that part didn't happen, but she knew where that part of the scene would have started.   Is that a possibility that with our choices, that way could have happened?  Or does it not matter?  Ugh.  I don't know that I'm making a lot of sense here, but my thoughts run around in circles when I start to think about this kind of stuff. 

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
I think that it's only dentermined by the choices we make. If you remember something being the same way long enough, it will happen that way. If you were to do something different, than the 'future' part of your spring would adjust accordingly.