Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 403719 times)

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »
I haven't touched one since the night the board spelled my name. I refuse to have one in my house, and will not allow any children that I may have to use one.
good.
Most tools and toys I caution people about using without knowing what tehy are doing. Understand tarot before you give a reading, don't through runes without knowing the meanings, and don't get invilved in Voodoo based on what you see in the movies.
ouija is the one thing I tell people to never do. period.

I'll be the first to admit that I was a foolish teenager... The mistakes I made then have helped me to avoid making bigger ones as I've grown older. :)

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2008, 12:57:35 PM »
Housewife2k's PSA regarding Ouija boards.
Get rid of them, do not buy them, do not 'play' with them, and if you have one that will.not.go.away. put it in a dark place and pretend it never existed.
I know many people who are 'sensitive'. We all hate ouija boards. There is something wrong about them. They are to door to door salesmen and telemarketers who call during dinner of the spirit world. They are bad news.

I agree.  Fully.  They are a portal and not a good one.  I played with one just once and the experience was a very bad one.  I was by myself so I can't blame my friends for pushing around the planchette thingie.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
Good thread!

Ouija boards scare me half to death.  I had a friend growing up who told a tale about her mother's many unsuccessful attempts to rid the house of theirs.  She threw it in the trash, threw it in the neighbor's trash, finally burned it and it somehow always found it's way back into the house.  

I also have deja vu but like other PPs, it's pretty mundane, nothing earth shattering.  Just a sense that I've been there, done that.  I also do this weird thing with songs.  A song I haven't heard in years will pop into my head and then I'll hear it in a totally random place within a few days.  (like, if it were an obscure 80s song, I'll hear it over the PA system at a store.)

I've never actually SEEN a ghost but I do have a couple of What The Heck Was THAT? stories to share.

1)  Many years ago, I had a couple of roommates and we were living in a 2-flat on the north side of Chicago.  (A 2-flat is an apartment building with 2 units)  When you walked in the front door, you entered a hallway running perpendicular to the door.  Directly across the front door was RM#1's room.  To the right, the hall opened to the living room. To the left, the hall ran and ended at my room.  If you took another left turn, you went into the dining room.  The kitchen, bathroom and RM#2s room were on the other side of the dining room.

One winter day, I came home from work and went directly to my room.  When I opened the door, I was assaulted by the most obnoxious old lady perfume smell I've ever come into contact with.  It was so strong my eyes watered.  I thought I must have spilled some sort of product but I couldn't find anything that would explain the odor.  I closed the door and went to apologize to my roommates about the nasty smell.  They said they didn't smell anything.  Then I realized you couldn't even smell it if my door was closed.  The very next day, the smell was gone.  Normally, I'd just think that I did spill something and just couldn't find it before the smell dissipated.  But a few years before, my sister visited me at college and broke a bottle of perfume in my bathroom.  The bathroom was tile but no amount of scrubbing could get rid of the smell.  It lingered for a good two months and you could smell it all the way down the hall.  And that smell wasn't even close to being as strong as this was.  It was just weird.  I even asked my landlord, who lived below us and he had no explanation either.  Other than that, the house seemed 'unoccupied.'  But I wonder...

#2:  This one still freaks me out.  Two years ago this summer, DH lost his very best friend in a tragic car accident.  A few days after the accident, I was eating lunch outside.  I was sitting at a table next to the metal fence that outlined the eating area.  I was reading a book and felt a tug on my shirt twice (as if someone were trying to get my attention).  I turned to see who was pulling on my shirt and there was no one there.  No one.  Not even anyone walking away.  I was kind of in the corner of the eating area, so it wasn't anyone inside, I'd have seen them.  It wasn't that my shirt was caught on my chair, it was a definitely a tug.  The chair back was low anyway, and the location of the tug was much higher than the chair.  Remembering that still gives me chills.  

DH told me at a later date that he had a dream about the accident a few days before it happened and also that he and MIL were sitting on MIL's back porch the night it happened and they both felt a very cold chill at the same time.  It was probably 85 degrees outside and little wind.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:33:09 PM by 2littlemonkeys »

Cracea

« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
I have two more not-scary-but-interesting ones.

1.  When I was 15 we moved into a new to us house.  In my bedroom I had a dresser with little shelves for curios, etc.  On one of the shelves I put two of my favorite old stuffed animals, a kitty and a bunny.  They both faced outward.  One day I noticed they were facing each other.  I figured Mom or Nana had been in cleaning and moved them.  I set them back facing forward.  Over the next few months it happened all the time.  I asked Mom and Nana why they were cleaning in my room so much, but they denied touching the stuffed animals.  I figured one of them was pulling some prank on me.

One day I got home from school and dropped my backpack in my room.  And fixed my stuffed animals again.  I went into the kitchen to fix a snack and returned to my room.  The animals were facing each other again.  I was home alone.

Strangely, that was the last time I found them facing each other.  My best guess is that someone wanted their presence acknowledged.

2.  Five years later my when I was pregnant with my first child, and just weeks after Mom died of cancer, Nana was diagnosed with brain cancer, and by the time DS1 was born she was in a hospice, in a coma.  When we were able to bring him home from the hospital, we stopped by the hospice so I could show her my baby.  She died that night.

Nearly two years later I was cleaning out an old dresser and found a lovely picture of Nana.  I hadn't had any of her, so I set it out.  DS1 came over and looked at the picture.

"Hey, it's Nana," he said.

"What?" I couldn't think of how he'd know that.

"Sometimes she comes to see me at night.  She's nice."

I have a couple of scary ones as well, but they creep me out just thinking about, so I'll have to be in the mood to post them.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2008, 02:06:03 PM »
don't through runes without knowing the meanings,

What's a rune?

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »
I must ask Grandma if she minds if I share some of her stories here - she has some pretty amazing stories.

Personally, I must be the most insensitive person alive. I have no stories to tell, other than a few "get out" feelings and hearing my name called.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »

What's a rune?
Runes are generally stones, marked with characters from really ol alphabets. May believe they can eb used for devination and casting purposes. here's the wiki for them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune not all that complete, but somewhat accurate from a technical nature.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2008, 05:05:21 PM »
I must ask Grandma if she minds if I share some of her stories here - she has some pretty amazing stories.

Personally, I must be the most insensitive person alive. I have no stories to tell, other than a few "get out" feelings and hearing my name called.

It's okay.  Other than my "almost deja vu", I don't have any stories.    I've never felt anything, anywhere - and I'm kind of glad about that.  :-\

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Mopsy428

« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2008, 07:35:46 PM »
Here are my stories:

I worked at a bagel shop in high school. Some of my co-workers said the shop was haunted by a female ghost who would whistle in the morning or turn the blender on when someone was counting the money out back while closing. One night, a woman came in and asked about cream cheese. I said, "We have 8 oz. and 16 oz." She said that 8 oz. was way too big, but a 1/2 pound would be perfect. Even though 8 oz. = 1/2 pound, I smiled and gave it to her. When she was gone, I looked around to see if anyone was in the store. No one was there. I mentioned to my supervisor the incident. We both heard a woman laugh. We looked around and no one was there! My supervisor and I freaked out.

I babysat overnight at this woman's house. She had an 18 month-old who would sometimes get up in the middle of the night. The woman told me that when the baby did that to tell her, "It's too early, Susie! Lay back down!" This happened twice. The third time, Susie let out this horrific scream. I ran in, and she was pointing to the back of the crib. I thought the cat must have gone there, but nothing was there. I said, "Shhh...Sweetie, there's nothing there!" Susie kept pointing. I took her out. She would not go back in the crib that night. I thought it was odd. When I told the parents, they just looked at each other. The mother said that it might have been the cat. However, I knew there was something they weren't telling me.

My cousin's kid has seen his dead grandfather, and once while my cousin was changing his son, the baby started laughing. My cousin asked him what was so funny. The son said that the lady was funny. My cousin asked, "Which lady?" Son said, "She's right there!" and pointed while laughing.

My friend Tim died in a car accident a few years ago. I wrote to my best friend from college, Joe, who was in England at the time. (I was in Canada.) Joe did not know Tim. I dreamt that Joe wrote back to me, and I remembered little snippets of what he wrote. I woke up and checked my e-mail. There was nothing. I went to make a cup of tea, and then thought, "Oh! I should e-mail so-and-so before I forget!" I logged back in...and there was an e-mail from Joe, complete with the little snippets that I remembered! It gave me chills because these snippets weren't generic, like "Hi, Mopsy!"

A few days later, I was bawling my eyes out in the bathroom, and all of a sudden, I heard a little voice in my head say firmly, "Mopsy, please stop. It'll be OK. I'm fine. No more tears." I stopped, sniffled a few times, and that was that.

And maybe this is just me having a vivid imagination, but I sometimes have these weird dreams where I relive the last moments of people's lives who have been murdered. I don't know if they are real people, but it's so weird because my point of view changes several times.

CyberKat

« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »

What's a rune?
Runes are generally stones, marked with characters from really ol alphabets. May believe they can be used for devination and casting purposes. here's the wiki for them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune not all that complete, but somewhat accurate from a technical nature.

Actually, that isn't accurate. Runes are an ancient Germanic alphabet, used for writing, divination and magic. They were used throughout northern Europe, Scandinavia, the British Isles, and Iceland from about 100 B.C.E. to 1600 C.E. "Runes" themselves are just letters.

According to the myth, Odin hung from a tree, impaled on his own spear, sacrificed to himself, for 9 days and nights, which gave him power over the runes, and allowed him to use them for magical purposes. However, to humans it was just an alphabet, and huge stones with inscriptions have been found all over Europe. Mostly with descriptions of the great deeds of some king, and other things that they decided was important enough to raise a monument over.

Runes, inscribed on small stones or pieces of bones, were also used in divination, and people believe that the future could be foretold by the way the runes landed.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »
CyberKat-
Thanks for the clarification- I don't use runes at all, because I neither understand them completely, or have access to someone who I know does understand them completely to explain them to me. I know that there are more than just Germanic runes, but am not totally clear onthe usage.
I have a few acquiantances that will through bone runes for various purposes, and it has always ended badly for them, as much of 'magic' is in the intent and the belief.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »
and there is something about those Runes that sends bad creepy feelings up and down my spine.

I have accually had one "bite me" one day.  One lady at an SCA event was carving sets in semi-precious stones and laid a lapis one in my hand.  Now normaly I love lapis and can get caught up in the crystal patterns in it. This piece was HOT and it shocked me.....

I really did have a red mark on my palm.  It faded quickly though

I stay away from runes now....
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »
I love these stories. Keep them coming.

I don't remember if I told about the EVPs (electronic voice phenomenon) that DS #2 and I got on our trip to N. Ireland. It is definintely a haunted place.

We visited Dundrom Castle (County Down) 4 times. The first was very late at night. This castle's on a mountain, and the closest house was at least 1/2 mile away. There was only one security light. The place was dark and isolated (picture below):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irelandseye/33010000/

The tower in the center of the pic is the original structure..from around the 1300s, I believe.

The night was completely still and quiet. But on our digital recorded we got the sounds of a castle courtyard full of people shouting and laughing, horses' hooves, and whips. One horse seemed to get closer and closer, and then very close a voice, "Quickly, get out!" We foolishly listened to this while in the dark courtyard. I'm sure it was comical seeing a bunch of people trying to get to the car, over 2 big stone fences, but at the time we were terrified.

Another time we did EVPs there we got a horrible, long scream. Banshee? All I know is that if we'd heard it with our own ears we'd have been out of there so fast.

St. Patricks Cathedral - County Down (pic below), where St. Patrick's buried.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dst.%2520patrick%27s%2520cathedral%2520county%2520down%26fr2%3Dtab-web%26fr%3Dyfp-t-501&w=500&h=375&imgurl=static.flickr.com%2F1251%2F570739908_9a1d8cbd1e.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fgarymcmurray%2F570739908%2F&size=142.6kB&name=Saint%20Patrick's%20Grave&p=st.%20patrick's%20cathedral%20county%20down&type=JPG&oid=906838d1d0e866b8&fusr=Gary%20McMurray&tit=Saint%20Patrick's%20Grave&hurl=http://www.flickr.com/photos/garymcmurray/&no=1&tt=12

We were in the gift shop, DS was in the sanctuary alone. It's quiet, but on the EVP footsteps (in hard shoes, so loud) come towards the recorder. Then there is the sound as if someone's scraping a tool against the stone walls of the church, right next to DS. Ironically, the walls are covered in memorials. DS was not moving or touching the wall.

We came upon a ruined friary. It was beautiful, surrounded by celtic grave markers. There is no roof, but the walls are intact. We explored it and got what was my favorite EVP of all: about 10 seconds of a monk/friar chanting in either latin or gaelic. It was echoey, like it'd be in a stone church. There's no way we could have made that sound ourselves.

CyberKat

« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2008, 08:58:14 PM »
CyberKat-
Thanks for the clarification- I don't use runes at all, because I neither understand them completely, or have access to someone who I know does understand them completely to explain them to me. I know that there are more than just Germanic runes, but am not totally clear onthe usage.
I have a few acquiantances that will through bone runes for various purposes, and it has always ended badly for them, as much of 'magic' is in the intent and the belief.

Basically, people pick up the concept, then fool around and pretend to know what they're doing. Possibly to seem interesting, I don't know. But I still haven't met anyone who knew what they were doing, they just heard about something that seemed cool, and then started messing with it. For example, everyone I've met, thought that runes themselves were very magical symbols. They're not. They're LETTERS. As magical as A, B, C, D and E is. But like you can form letters into a magic word or a spell (Abracadabra!), you could make runes magical as well, at least in myth.

The original, ancient art of using runes was pure magic in mythology, but in real life, it was much more a matter of psychology. As you say, it's in the intent and belief. Much like fake psychics, the rune casters would look at cause and effect, and predict a likely outcome of a certain situation. The runes were just a tool to seem convincing and magical. They only had a magical effect themselves in the myths and legends, when used by gods and witches. After all, it is just letters ;)

Gyro Widget

« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »
I wasn't going to bother write about this recent event on the thread, but since it got bumped, I might as well. 

Last weekend my BF and I were just hanging around my small bachelor apartment.  You can basically see everything at most points in the little apartment.  Anyway, BF was sitting at my table on his laptop and I went to the washroom.  I left the door open because BF and I really do not care about closing it when its just the two of us (lol, maybe TMI, I know, but its important for later). 

Anyway, the entrance way of my apartment was right in front of me while I was in the washroom, and it was to the side of BF.  I was just staring out the washroom door when one of BF's sneakers simply spontaneously flipped over.  I saw him quickly turn towards where the sound came from. 

I asked him "Did you see that???"

He said "No, but I heard it.... what was it??"

"Your sneaker just randomly flipped over as if someone kicked it"

He got kind of freaked out so I changed the subject and made a little joke about the bathroom ghost. 

Anyway, I forgot about it and we later went to bed.  In the middle of the night however, I woke up and I could see some sort of androgynous figure standing over me.  I knew I was having another "old hag" nightmare (aka "sleep paralysis"...which I've already talked about earlier in the thread) and began screaming for BF.  I kept screaming "BF, I'm seeing something.... theres something there next to me!  Its here! Its here!".  He then woke up in a frenzy trying to figure out what the problem was.  The thing with these old hag dreams, is that you never know when you are awake and when you are sleeping... so the events of seeing the figure standing over me simply melted into reality.  The other odd thing was, my body wasn't "paralyzed" through sleep this time.  To me, I was witnessing a ghost - not "out of the corner of my eye", not a simple "orb" or "flash of light", but I could see it standing over me.  BF mentioned later that I screamed so loud that his ears were hurting. 

Sometimes I wonder if they aren't just nightmares though... I must sound like a nut though!!! ::)