Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 382256 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
I remember in college being in the same room as someone with a tarot deck.  She was shuffling and cutting the deck and 'my' card came up several cuts in a row.

Nanny Ogg

• The Shrinking Lady!
    • For Your Paws
« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2008, 12:14:29 PM »
I have two more not-scary-but-interesting ones.

2.  Five years later my when I was pregnant with my first child, and just weeks after Mom died of cancer, Nana was diagnosed with brain cancer, and by the time DS1 was born she was in a hospice, in a coma.  When we were able to bring him home from the hospital, we stopped by the hospice so I could show her my baby.  She died that night.

Nearly two years later I was cleaning out an old dresser and found a lovely picture of Nana.  I hadn't had any of her, so I set it out.  DS1 came over and looked at the picture.

"Hey, it's Nana," he said.

"What?" I couldn't think of how he'd know that.

"Sometimes she comes to see me at night.  She's nice."

When I read that, all the hairs on my wrist stood up on end, in a hand grip sort of shape.  It's really sensitive and tingly now too.

How weird is that?

For my kind of story, my Gran passed away a year and two months ago from cancer. At the time she passed, the power in our house went dead for a couple of seconds, with me and my sister in the room. Five minutes later, we got the phone call from my mum who was at the hospital, saying Granny had gone a few minutes before.

For two- three weeks after she passed, lights constantly flickered around me, and I could smell "her". We were exceptionally close, as she looked after me until I went to school when my mum went back to work after having me.

Weird.

tael

« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »
This happened just last week to my nan.

She had just come back indoors from doing... something outside (probably visiting her neighbour, can't quite remember), when she noticed the light on her phone flashing, meaning she had missed a call. So she goes to check caller ID to see who it was and got a terrible fright. The name on it was her father's. Who has been dead for over twenty years now.

The odd bit is that the number has still been in use for the past while since my great-uncle's been using it instead. But 1) his phone's been disconnected for the past six months (someone even went over to his house to double-check) because he's been put in a nursing home, and 2) it should've been listed under his name if it was from his phone (and he does not share a name with my great-grandfather).

My mom even went so far as to call the telephone company to see what could've happened, and they were just as baffled as the rest of us were. There's a possibilty it could be part of one of those telephone scams, but it is freakishly exact.

at5115

« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2008, 01:28:09 PM »
I remember in college being in the same room as someone with a tarot deck.  She was shuffling and cutting the deck and 'my' card came up several cuts in a row.

I've never had a reading where the Four of Pentacles didn't turn up.

sadiemae

« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »
Jaxsue- I am seriously contemplating making some EVPs of my apartment ghost. Everytime I look at websites for it though, they seem to make it a rather complex process. If you have a chance, would you tell me how you did your? Thanks

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »

I've never had a reading where the Four of Pentacles didn't turn up.

For me it's the Page of Swords.  Every time.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Cracea

« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »
I have two more not-scary-but-interesting ones.

2.  Five years later my when I was pregnant with my first child, and just weeks after Mom died of cancer, Nana was diagnosed with brain cancer, and by the time DS1 was born she was in a hospice, in a coma.  When we were able to bring him home from the hospital, we stopped by the hospice so I could show her my baby.  She died that night.

Nearly two years later I was cleaning out an old dresser and found a lovely picture of Nana.  I hadn't had any of her, so I set it out.  DS1 came over and looked at the picture.

"Hey, it's Nana," he said.

"What?" I couldn't think of how he'd know that.

"Sometimes she comes to see me at night.  She's nice."

When I read that, all the hairs on my wrist stood up on end, in a hand grip sort of shape.  It's really sensitive and tingly now too.

How weird is that?

I had a similar reaction at the time.  I found it comforting, though, to think of Nana looking after him.  She was so gentle, so kind, and adored children. 

I always get the Strength card in Tarot readings.  Always.  Seems to freak out the friends doing the readings more than me.

Lurkergirl

• http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59628
    • I write about my life with chronic pain
« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:34 PM »
I had one happen just last night but I didn't really find it freaky.  Every wednesday the local radio station does psychic readings and I managed to call in and get through a second time, they seem to like to talk about ghosts so I had brought up the 2 in my house.  Well last night I got home from my daughters play at school and went to put my cell away on my jewelry box where I plug it in and put it every night.  I go to put it down and my brush is there.  Now I distinctly remember the last time I used it was in the bathroom and I had put it back on the counter there.  And my daughter may have used it but she never went into my room.  So it was really weird to find it in my bedroom that noone had been in since this morning.  I felt like it was a hi I'm here Thanks for acknowlegding us .  So I stated outloud.  Ummm thanks but that is a really strange place to put my brush.  What always seems stranger to me is the knowing... Know why someone is calling or upset or just knowing that I am gonna get a call or a text.  Wish I could find a way to make that more reliable.

Melissa/lurkergirl

ladymaureen

« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2008, 08:10:57 PM »
I have no psychic or ghostly experiences of my own, though I had a vivid dream once that I wonder about occasionally.

Every once in a while I think such an experience would be kinda cool, but then I think I would probably find it reeeeallly scary. Still, I love stories like this. The Fortean Times message boards are kinda fun to troll looking for these stories.

Anyway, I have two second-hand stories, one family-related and one from someone I knew from work.

1) My great-aunt saw and heard two little girls giggling in her closet while my mother was pregnant. My mother never knew she had twins until delivery. Auntie was certain they were my sisters visiting her before their birth.

2) A lovely, classy lady used to work as an admin in the same office where I worked. She told me a story once that she used to live in an apartment that was haunted. She called it a poltergeist, but it didn't smash things. It made noises and -- the really odd bit, I thought -- would make puddles three-dimensional. What she meant by that was that the roof leaked. Every once in a while she would come upon a cylinder of water that would sway a little bit. Weird, huh? She described it as a pleasant feeling in the apartment -- the entity didn't bother her at all.

Melxb

« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »
I've been following this thread curiously and there are a few things that I have to say....

Ouija Boards--never tried them and I don't really want to.  I see them occasionally when I walk through the game boards part of stores and I can literally feel them pulling me.  I don't know why and it freaks me out more than a little.  I just don't want to mess around with them, you know?  :P

Tarot cards--I have a pack of tarot cards.  I bought them as a pack with Tarot for Dummies.  Yeah, I know, really lame.  But I read the whole book and followed the spreads to divine meaning.  Now, with me, I read nothing about myself.  I've done spreads on my sister and three friends and they all say that I shouldn't do any more spreads or readings.  Apparently, I was so spot on that I scared THEM, my sister especially.  As I was reading the explanation from the book (remember--Tarot for Dummies!!) she turned so pale I thought she was going to faint.  I've only done a handful of readings, for myself and three other people.  I don't know--I think I might be too sensitive to them.

Seeing Grandparents--My grandfather died when I was 15 after a long, nasty fight with cancer.  I have always felt as though he were my guardian angel.  He, my sister and I were all very close.  He loved us and we totally loved him.  Whenever I'm having trouble dealing with things I always "channel" by grandfather, ask for his guidance, and I always always always feel better.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »
Mel, there are some who believe that you cannot do an accurate reading for yourself, as you are too wrapped up in any possible outcomes, etc...

Melxb

« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »
I have never heard of that, but it doesn't surprise me.  Anytime I try to do a reading for myself I get really weird spreads.  They are very jumbled.  Apparently, I'm either royalty, a mass murderer, or a deaf-mute.  It's weird, but I think now I know why none of it makes sense to me.

LadyofMaine

« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2008, 12:29:53 PM »
Perhaps those are your future selves, Your Majesty. :-*

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »
This thread is better than a good book...I agree..keep 'em coming.  I think I'll go start reading my reincarnation book.  (Many lives...Many masters.  Just got it this week.)
I had an odd experience one time, but I don't know what it was about. I was married to a commercial fisherman.  There were several bad things that happened in the fishing community at that time...a couple of boats went down, one floated out under the bridge and burned up, all within a short period of time.  The day I heard about this string of incidents I dropped a hand mirror and it landed face down.  It shattered but stayed within the frame.  When I picked it up I was shocked to see that the shatter cracks created the perfect image of a fishing boat, from the bow almost to the back and included poles, lines and all.  I took it up and showed my mother (who poo-pooed all things unexplainable) and she got kind of mad at me and took it to the trash can and smashed it to smithereens.  It was eerie, to say the least.
When my ex husband was fishing they couldn't go out when it was blowing, and it could be calm and beautiful and he would be planning his trip and I could just feel that it was going to be stormy, so I would say, "I don't know why you're getting ready.  It's going to start blowing."  And I was right.  This happened so many times that he finally told me, "Stop saying that!"
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:13:49 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2008, 02:35:10 PM »
Hubby's uncle stopped by this morning, to get the extending branch saw. Hubby was on his way to the DR, so I was the one who met Uncle at the door, and made sure he had what he needed.
My catten (my word for a cat who will never be much larger than a kitten) is not affectionate with strangers, and she has only met Uncle a handful of times. Chai immediately launched herself off of the couch and into Uncles arms, while making a sad mewing noise, and marking his face with her cheeks. Not in a dominant way, but in a 'smell me, I am soothing and make you feel better" way.

Uncle informed me that his cat of 12 years passed on wednesday morning. I didn't know. Chai knew, and decided to cmofort him.
It is a small thing as far as ghost type stories go, but it was incredibly sweet.