Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 389458 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2265 on: February 25, 2013, 03:00:43 PM »
Did you bring anything "new to you" into the house recently?

Redwing

« Reply #2266 on: February 25, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

Last summer we did buy some items from an estate sale, most notably a lovely wingback chair the seller's father had recovered in a beautiful wine red velvet.  We also purchased some table runners and a beautiful old china serving dish.  Is it possible I have gotten an unexpected purchase with one of these items?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2267 on: February 26, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »

Last summer we did buy some items from an estate sale, most notably a lovely wingback chair the seller's father had recovered in a beautiful wine red velvet.  We also purchased some table runners and a beautiful old china serving dish.  Is it possible I have gotten an unexpected purchase with one of these items?
Of those, I would guess the chair.  Much  more personal to a body than table runners or china. 

Elfqueen and her DH are still househunting.  One of them the house was empty, but 'someone' was still there in the cellar.   SIL said the presence wanted to know who the ehell he was and what was he doing in THEIR cellar?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Redwing

« Reply #2268 on: February 27, 2013, 09:17:06 AM »

Of those, I would guess the chair.  Much  more personal to a body than table runners or china. 

Elfqueen and her DH are still househunting.  One of them the house was empty, but 'someone' was still there in the cellar.   SIL said the presence wanted to know who the ehell he was and what was he doing in THEIR cellar?

Thanks, Elfmama.  I would never have thought of that.  It makes sense because the movement I see is in my living room where the chair is.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2269 on: February 27, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
I'm starting to think we have our own inhabitants, though the evidence is kind of flimsy.

From my bed, I can see into my daughters' room a little bit.  There's a slight offset in the doorways.  There is also a nightlight on the outlet just to the right of their door as you walk into their room.

The other night, I was reading in my bed and I swear I kept seeing shadows move about their room.  At first, I thought it was the girls horsing around but when I went in to tell them they needed to get to sleep, I discovered they were already sound asleep.

So...I hope it was just my eyes playing tricks on me!  I don't know if I mentioned this on this thread yet but one day over early last fall, I was lying in bed mustering the energy to get up.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw who I thought was DD7 walk past my door.  I thought, "Well at least I won't be fighting with her to get up."  But when I got up to get my other DD up, they were both sound asleep.  I was really hoping it was my imagination.

:o

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #2270 on: February 27, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
I'm starting to think we have our own inhabitants, though the evidence is kind of flimsy.

From my bed, I can see into my daughters' room a little bit.  There's a slight offset in the doorways.  There is also a nightlight on the outlet just to the right of their door as you walk into their room.

The other night, I was reading in my bed and I swear I kept seeing shadows move about their room.  At first, I thought it was the girls horsing around but when I went in to tell them they needed to get to sleep, I discovered they were already sound asleep.

So...I hope it was just my eyes playing tricks on me!  I don't know if I mentioned this on this thread yet but one day over early last fall, I was lying in bed mustering the energy to get up.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw who I thought was DD7 walk past my door.  I thought, "Well at least I won't be fighting with her to get up."  But when I got up to get my other DD up, they were both sound asleep.  I was really hoping it was my imagination.

I see stuff out of the corners of my eyes all the time. I choose to believe it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I think there is a name for that and it's pretty common, so it could be all in your head.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2271 on: February 27, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »

I see stuff out of the corners of my eyes all the time. I choose to believe it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I think there is a name for that and it's pretty common, so it could be all in your head.

I think this is one of the few times I'm happy to believe something is all in my head.   ;D

Blondie

« Reply #2272 on: February 27, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
Kind of random, but just had one of those unexplained moments coming home after a weekend away (and if there is anyone with insight into this kind of thing, very appreciated)

I came home Sunday night and went up to the master bedroom to find the overhead light on. This in itself is a little off, it is controlled by remote and we lost that. It was a hassle anyway and never used. I only really noticed the light was on because when I stepped through the door, the light bulbs all blew at once. That got me a little freaked out, so I asked DF why he had the light on. He said he hadn't and didn't know how to turn it on without the remote. I thought about it a little more, and realized that I had been the last one upstairs when I went up for my cell phone charger and had immediately left the house and locked the door behind me, and I know the lights weren't on when I left, as I had turned off the bedside lights myself and checked.

I told DF as much and he got out his electricians gear and headed to the basement, assuming we had blown a fuse. The fuse was fine, all other things on the circuit were fine. He took the fixture down just to be sure and there was no indication that this was electrical. We put it all back together and went to bed figuring that a neighbor had a similar set up with the remote and must have triggered ours as well. Around 5am we woke up to the hall light going on. No one else lives with us. I have taken to sleeping with a pillow over my eyes...
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

selkiewoman

« Reply #2273 on: February 27, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
I woke up one morning last week feeling a hand on the back of my neck.  Thought in my sleepy state it must be my husband, but he was sleeping in another room  -I was outside on a sleeping porch with my back to the deck rail, and his arms are not that long in any case!  Then I thought it might be a cat pulling on the bedclothes, but they were all accounted for and I couldn't recreate the sensation that way.

It was definately a hand, warm and not alarming in the least.  The episode is mentally filed under 'strange, but not creepy.'

Nikko-chan

« Reply #2274 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:46 PM »
I have something creepy for you all that i might have mentioned in this thread. Not sure though... at any rate...

When LittleCousin2 was just a child, about 3 or 4, her mother heard her in the bedroom, playing and laughing... and talking. Her mother went into the room, and says "LittleCousin2, who are you talking to?"

LittleCousin2's response? "Sarah and Gigi."

We don't know any Sarah's... at least not any who have passed on. However... Gigi (that was the way the baby pronounced it) could have easily stood for G.G. (Great Grandma) something every cousin of the younger generation knows. Their G.G. was our grandmother, so it was a bit of a comfort to know she was still watching over us.

Second Story that I remembered while I was typing the first: Right after my grandmother died, mom and I came home to find all of the stuff on the coffee table was now on the floor, except one thing: a candle. One of those big ones in the glass jars. Okay we thought... Ginger Kitty must have done it.... but... Ginger Kitty has never been on that table. And she was strong enough to at least knock the candle over, so why was it left untouched?

Third story: A year after my grandma died one of my aunts annuals that she had planted last year came back up as though it were a perennial.

BarensMom

« Reply #2275 on: February 28, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »

I think this is one of the few times I'm happy to believe something is all in my head.   ;D

You all are seeing "shadow people."  Here are some explanations:  http://paranormal.about.com/od/trueghoststories/a/shadow-people.htm

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2276 on: February 28, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
My family used to see those shadows at our old house, but not once when we moved into a newly built house.  I don't believe it was all in our heads since there were other weird things happening in the old place.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2277 on: February 28, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »

You all are seeing "shadow people."  Here are some explanations:  http://paranormal.about.com/od/trueghoststories/a/shadow-people.htm

Eesh.  Well, I have never, ever felt any extra "feelings" in our house, malevolent or otherwise so here's hoping for:

My vivid imagination
Astral travelers
Time travelers
Interdimensional beings

And in that order.   :P

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2278 on: February 28, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »

Eesh.  Well, I have never, ever felt any extra "feelings" in our house, malevolent or otherwise so here's hoping for:

My vivid imagination
Astral travelers
Time travelers
Interdimensional beings

And in that order.   :P

It's just alien anthropologists studying human customs up close.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #2279 on: March 03, 2013, 01:13:59 AM »
Here's one:

I've always had iffy feelings about our family room (now dining room) and a part of our backyard.  The former I hate going past at night, though if I look over I swear it appears darker somehow.  It also seems to block Wifi and other radio signals to an extent (I have horrid luck using an FM broadcaster from my iPod to my shortwave sitting right next to it.)  We also report being colder there than the rest of the house.

The latter I outright refuse to go in or even look at at night.  I've gotten a little braver about it, but something gives me huge creeps and I can barely stand it.  No one else seems to, though, but I'm usually pretty good about handling the dark, so its not that either.

Mostly, I keep a nightlight because I'm a klutz.

Anyone else got an idea?

And no, the backyard and family room are in no way connected, i.e. right next to each other, though the yard does wrap around the house and to the side of the room.

I also remember my room always seemed to be cold when I was younger, but I'm convinced it's either bad luck (it never gets any sun past 10 AM or so), or bad venting.  Still, that is right outside the part of the yard I'm afraid to go into at night, and while my window looks out into it, its completely covered with curtains so I can't see out of it.  If they are even a peek open, I freak a little and have to readjust them.