Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 389192 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2310 on: April 30, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »
Maybe my long departed Misty came to visit you.  She loved to crawl up under the blanket but on top of the sheet and sleep there.  I always wondered how she was able to breathe!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

dqduck

« Reply #2311 on: June 01, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »
Bump. Any new stories?  :)

CakeBeret

« Reply #2312 on: June 01, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that I've never really believed in the supernatural, but the last few years I've been becoming more open to it.

We've owned our house for 5 years. Normally we don't have any issues, but sometimes the 2nd bedroom after dark feels just plain creepy. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but it's only intermittent. It's strange and I'm not normally a jumpy sort of person.

So when DS was born, that became his bedroom. All has been well, but about two weeks ago, DS became quite agitated about being in his room in the dark. He said that there was a shadow that he didn't like. One night he woke up crying. I went in to comfort him and found him sitting on the edge of his bed just sobbing and saying that he didn't like the shadow. The room had that awful, unbearably unpleasant feel to it. Notably, DH woke up and came to check on us--he is a very heavy sleeper and it's highly unusual that he would wake up like that. We took DS into our room, and he slept with us most of that week.

Things seem to be back to normal now though, and I'm quite glad because DS is not a pleasant bedfellow. :) I really wish I knew what I could do about it, though. I thought about speaking to it (whatever 'it' is) as some on here have mentioned, but I felt pretty ridiculous speaking to 'it' in front of my DS.

In terms of intuition, I get strong feelings and act on them. Things like sensing that I should make sure the house is locked or the oven is off, that I should take a different route home, or that I should call and check on someone. The most notable was an evening that I was supposed to go pick up a purchase at the store. I got an incredibly uncomfortable feeling about going to the store and went home instead. About half an hour later I felt safe about going, and made the trip without an issue.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

unnalee

« Reply #2313 on: June 01, 2013, 09:32:12 PM »
CakeBeret's mention of intuition made me think of my brother. 

Just over a month ago now, my parents' garage burned down.  It happened in the middle of a work day, when no one was home.  My brother had a split shift that day (works part of the morning, has a few hours off, then works again in the afternoon) and normally runs errands or works at our uncle's shop.  For some reason that day he decided he needed to go home on his break.  It's a 30 minute drive from his work to their house.  He hadn't gone home on a split shift day in at least 4 months.  But something that day told him to go home.

When he got there, the garage was already engulfed and it had spread to my mom's gardening shed and the dog house.  The vinyl siding on the house (100 ft away) was starting to melt and peel away from the wall.  If he hadn't come home they would have lost everything, as they live out in the country and the nearest neighbor is half a mile away through the woods.  He still can't explain why he came home that day, he just said he felt he had to.

Personally, I think it was my grandma looking out for them.  She died just over a year ago and lived down the road from my parents.  She was always very cautious obsessive with fire safety.  Gives me the goosebumps when I think about it.

Kaymyth

« Reply #2314 on: June 01, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »
I'll preface this by saying that I've never really believed in the supernatural, but the last few years I've been becoming more open to it.

We've owned our house for 5 years. Normally we don't have any issues, but sometimes the 2nd bedroom after dark feels just plain creepy. It makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but it's only intermittent. It's strange and I'm not normally a jumpy sort of person.

So when DS was born, that became his bedroom. All has been well, but about two weeks ago, DS became quite agitated about being in his room in the dark. He said that there was a shadow that he didn't like. One night he woke up crying. I went in to comfort him and found him sitting on the edge of his bed just sobbing and saying that he didn't like the shadow. The room had that awful, unbearably unpleasant feel to it. Notably, DH woke up and came to check on us--he is a very heavy sleeper and it's highly unusual that he would wake up like that. We took DS into our room, and he slept with us most of that week.

Things seem to be back to normal now though, and I'm quite glad because DS is not a pleasant bedfellow. :) I really wish I knew what I could do about it, though. I thought about speaking to it (whatever 'it' is) as some on here have mentioned, but I felt pretty ridiculous speaking to 'it' in front of my DS.

In terms of intuition, I get strong feelings and act on them. Things like sensing that I should make sure the house is locked or the oven is off, that I should take a different route home, or that I should call and check on someone. The most notable was an evening that I was supposed to go pick up a purchase at the store. I got an incredibly uncomfortable feeling about going to the store and went home instead. About half an hour later I felt safe about going, and made the trip without an issue.

Your poor son.   >:(  I have zero patience with the beasties that target kids with their shenanigans.  Hopefully whatever-it-is is benign, but trust your instincts.  If it's giving you a creepy feeling and it starts in with scaring your son again, you might consider bringing in your local spiritual leader for a "house blessing" to see if that can't clear it out.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2315 on: June 19, 2013, 09:36:55 PM »

Your poor son.   >:(  I have zero patience with the beasties that target kids with their shenanigans.  Hopefully whatever-it-is is benign, but trust your instincts.  If it's giving you a creepy feeling and it starts in with scaring your son again, you might consider bringing in your local spiritual leader for a "house blessing" to see if that can't clear it out.

Or, try just getting really stern with it.  In your best mom voice just tell it to leave your son alone.  It's not funny and it's not nice.  I had to do that once and it actually worked!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2316 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:19 PM »
I went to church today to practice with the choir. As I walked in, I heard someone playing on the piano in the sanctuary. I didn't think anything of this, because we've practiced in the sanctuary before, and I like to talk to the substitute music director.

Except I poked my head in to find the room completely dark, no one in there, and the piano still playing.

Just to check, I asked the substitute music director if he had been practicing in the sanctuary earlier, say, at 6:10. He said, "No, I was downstairs with Other Group. Why do you ask?" I told him, and we both went pale.  :o
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2317 on: June 19, 2013, 10:00:57 PM »
You know, violinp, I think if I had to encounter a ghost, that would be one of the nicer ways to do it.  Especially if the ghost played well.  ;D

But yeah, I think that would give me a start, too.  Wasn't it you who recently had your music director pass away?  (Or was that your sister?)  Maybe he came back to play for a bit.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2318 on: June 19, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »
For some background to my post above about speaking sternly in my mom voice, I believe there was a spirit that hung out in my daughter's room.  Nothing malicious or threatening, but a prankster maybe?  Anyway, my daughter couldn't see it but my DOG could, and she would bark and growl at seemingly nothing up in the corner of the ceiling of her room.  It scared my poor daughter to death.  A few nights of that and that's when my mama bear claws came out.  Never had that problem again after that.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2319 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
You know, violinp, I think if I had to encounter a ghost, that would be one of the nicer ways to do it.  Especially if the ghost played well.  ;D

But yeah, I think that would give me a start, too.  Wasn't it you who recently had your music director pass away?  (Or was that your sister?)  Maybe he came back to play for a bit.

Cabbage and I go to the same church. I think it may have been our music director playing (he'd certainly think that was funny), but that church has had creepy things happen in it before his death, like the time Cabbage was in the sanctuary with no one else in the whole church building, and the lights came on by themselves.  :o Nope, nope and nope.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

CakeBeret

« Reply #2320 on: June 20, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
Thanks folks. DS is spending the night at his cousin's on Friday, so I will take the opportunity to have a firm chat with whatever's in his room.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

cwm

« Reply #2321 on: June 20, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
Wow, I finally caught up with the whole thread. Took me a while, because my boyfriend is a good boy and doesn't let me read it after dark. I have a laundry list of experiences, but will start with two sweet ones (one of mine, one of mom's) and one possible UFO one.

My family has always had some sort of talent, so any sort of "weird" stuff is treated within my family as completely normal.

My late paternal grandma (GW) had cancer when I was a wee one, but she survived. A few years ago, though, she got sick. It had come back and spread all over her body before anyone noticed it. She was put on home care for the last few days, and never regained consciousness. I said my goodbyes, but couldn't stand to be sitting in the house with all the other relatives waiting for the inevitable. It seemed too grim for me, because she wasn't gone yet, obviously! And everyone was ignoring that and mourning her in advance. Not my thing at all. I probably upset a lot of family members that day by leaving, because how dare I say she wasn't gone, it was as good as done, you know. Nothing was going to change. I don't care. I couldn't stay. So I went home. My dad and his brother stayed at her house that night, but my mom came home. I couldn't sleep that night at all, something was keeping me awake and restless. Sometime after about 2:00 AM I finally fell asleep peacefully. Mom came in to my room in the morning and woke me up, telling me that GW had passed sometime about 2 in the morning and she was gone. I was still half asleep, and said the first thing that came to mind. "I know." I went back to sleep and when I woke up later, mom was convinced GW had come to all of us the night before to say goodbye.

Mom's sweet story. She was in high school when her grandfather was in the hospital ill. Her dad picked her up from school to come say goodbye, as it was nearing the end. They got into the elevator at the hospital and mom saw her grandfather standing there smiling at her. He faded by the time they got up to his floor, but he had just passed about the time they got on the elevator.

I never actually MET this grandfather, but he still watches out for us. Mom's smelled/felt him sitting on her dresser during her divorce, just watching. I've frequently in her house felt an old man watching me. I've always known it was my great-grandpa that I never met, just keeping an eye on the family

The UFO story is fairly weird. I was at a girl scout camp with my troop. A few of the girls and one of the leaders wanted to take a night walk, so we took one of the walkie-talkies, got our flashlights, and headed out. It should be noted that I can recognize a sum total of TWO constellations, one of which is a winter one, so it wasn't out. But as we were the furthest away from the main camp where everyone else was, I pointed out something in the sky. There was this triangle of lights behaving...oddly. They were kind of drifting, rocking back and forth in the sky, off in the distance past where the base camp was. We got on the walkie and had one of the leaders at the base camp step outside and take a look. She could see the same thing, but only saw two lights. The way the lights were, they should have seen all three. We sat on the radio and watched them go in circles, loop around a bit. It wasn't some sort of wild show, and they were dim enough that in the city nearby, probably nobody saw them from light pollution. Then they kind of faded. It looked like they were just flying off into the distance, but they didn't get any closer together, just dimmer. The leaders at the base camp were all outside the building at that point, watching it. We came back to base camp and all swore up and down we'd seen the same thing, except at the base camp they only saw two lights. We saw three. I may never really know what the heck that was, but it was more than just a little bit weird.

More when I get home and can open up my file on my laptop that I've been saving for this thread, full of all the weird stuff I've experienced.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #2322 on: June 20, 2013, 03:11:34 PM »
Well, it's back again!  We have lived in our current house for about nine years and from the first week we lived there  I would see a gray shadow walking down the street in front of our house.  Nobody else has seen it but me and it did disappear for a few months.  Yesterday I was doing laundry and glanced out the window as it walked right by.  I don't know if it is a previous resident and it has never appeared inside the house, only outside.  It creeps me out every time I see it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2323 on: June 21, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
Im only up to page 4 in this thread and am already creeped out. And Im at work (shhh.) and its 2 in the afternoon.  Im not a scardycat, but I cannot watch any kind of ghost hunting or show about haunting at night. I dont get nightmares from the show, but I have very strange, and sometimes disturbing dreams. Must remember to read this ONLY during the day!

I have sort of a story, and will admit as I have never had any personal experiences with anything like any of these stories, I am a tad skeptical. Not to say I dont think they happened, but I need to experience something first hand before Im convinced.

Onto my story. Back in college, I was doing an internship, close to where my grandmother lived, so I was staying with her M-F, and walking to my internship. She lived in an old Victorian house, that had been converted to a 2-family, and she was on the second floor. Just before you went into the room I was staying in, was a door, with steps leading to the third floor. Which was kind of creepy as it had some under the eaves attic storage, but also several bedrooms which were full of stuff I always felt a bit uneasy as the upstairs was kind of scary.  So one night, Im literally just about to fall asleep, when I felt like I heard something make a loud noise in my ear, almost shouting, and for some reason, whatever it was, I felt had come from the third floor. So I woke up, kind of shaking, but all was silent. Took me quite a while to settle back down and fall back to sleep

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2324 on: June 21, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
Back in college, I was doing an internship, close to where my grandmother lived, so I was staying with her M-F, and walking to my internship. She lived in an old Victorian house, that had been converted to a 2-family, and she was on the second floor. Just before you went into the room I was staying in, was a door, with steps leading to the third floor. Which was kind of creepy as it had some under the eaves attic storage, but also several bedrooms which were full of stuff I always felt a bit uneasy as the upstairs was kind of scary.  So one night, Im literally just about to fall asleep, when I felt like I heard something make a loud noise in my ear, almost shouting, and for some reason, whatever it was, I felt had come from the third floor. So I woke up, kind of shaking, but all was silent. Took me quite a while to settle back down and fall back to sleep

Sounds like Exploding Head Syndrome - a loud auditory hallucination when you're falling asleep. I've had those. Also, I just love that there's a thing called Exploding Head Syndrome.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.