Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 328539 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2325 on: June 21, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
Back in college, I was doing an internship, close to where my grandmother lived, so I was staying with her M-F, and walking to my internship. She lived in an old Victorian house, that had been converted to a 2-family, and she was on the second floor. Just before you went into the room I was staying in, was a door, with steps leading to the third floor. Which was kind of creepy as it had some under the eaves attic storage, but also several bedrooms which were full of “stuff” I always felt a bit uneasy as the upstairs was kind of scary.  So one night, I’m literally just about to fall asleep, when I felt like I heard something make a loud noise in my ear, almost shouting, and for some reason, whatever it was, I felt had come from the third floor. So I woke up, kind of shaking, but all was silent. Took me quite a while to settle back down and fall back to sleep

Sounds like Exploding Head Syndrome - a loud auditory hallucination when you're falling asleep. I've had those. Also, I just love that there's a thing called Exploding Head Syndrome.

Could be; this happens to me every now and again, but the one I described above was VERY loud and freaky. Scared the beejeebus out of me.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2326 on: June 21, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »
I've had that happen, but it was never scary. I'd just hear about a second of voices (think a 1-second snippet of a crowded cocktail party), or maybe a voice I didn't recognize calling/saying my name (but nothing else).

I figure if there were anything in the house, the dog and/or cats would have alerted me by now.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

cwm

« Reply #2327 on: June 21, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »
Siamesecat, I do a lot of my forum posts at work too. Shhh....

I've never had anything sudden at night, but I have heard things in my mom's house. When I come home and there's nobody there, I can hear something coming from inside. It sounds like a cocktail party, or a radio or TV on quietly. The second I touch the door handle to unlock it, the sound goes away. And sometimes when I've been in the basement when I was home alone I'd hear it too. I've frequently talked to the empty house. I'll tell it "Okay, I'm home now, time to be quiet" in a nice tone, or remind it to please cut out the noise, it's freaking me out. And when I'm leaving for a while I'll make sure to tell it that noise is okay now.

I don't know what it does now that my dog lives there. I haven't heard anything lately, but I can still feel a presence there.

That house has always had spirits. Things would disappear and reappear. I've always felt that there's a little boy there and his dog, and get the feeling that he just wants to play with us and can't except by taking our things. One time, way back before computers were normal, my dad was in college and had a paper to write. My mom had typed it up for him on the typewriter and set it out for the morning so he could take it to class. But it was gone. Nowhere to be found. My dad went to class empty-handed because the paper HAD to be typed, but he swore he'd have it the next day, my mom had said she'd re-type it that night. After dad got home from work (after school) and mom brought the kids home from school and such, it was on the living room table. Nobody had been home all day, nobody else had a key to our house, there was no valid reason for it to have been there. They would have SEEN it that morning.

Another time several years later we had a girl scout meeting in our living room. One of the girls in the troop was our next door neighbor, and she had come over a bit early to do some studying. We let her use our computer from time to time. She had brought over an encyclopedia with her. The 'C', I believe, which is one of the biggest single books in the set. It's huge. When it came time for everyone to go home, the book was gone. It wasn't in the computer room, it wasn't in the living room anywhere, we pulled apart the couch looking for it. My younger sister (the one I talk about the most on here) and I had been in our room all night, and our older half sister (no longer in my life) was part of the troop. It was gone. We told her to go home and we'd get it back to her as soon as we found it.

The next day, after school we found it. On top of the refrigerator. Nobody had even been in the kitchen that night, and the only people in the house who could have reached that would have been my parents. And I think they would have remembered putting it up on the fridge and just given it back to the girl, especially over taking everything apart and spending half an hour looking for it.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2328 on: June 21, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
There is probably a perfectly valid scientific explanation for this one but it was eerie anyway.

The other night, I was at home working on a project for someone when I began to smell a very faint scent that was familiar but I couldn't figure out where I knew it from.  A little while later, I suddenly realized that it was the perfume that belonged to a friend of mine - the same person the project was for.  She hadn't been over in a long while, so I am certain it wasn't something that just lingered.  And as soon as I finished the project, the scent vanished.

I know smells can be hallucinated but I've never had it happen to me before.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2329 on: June 21, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
There is probably a perfectly valid scientific explanation for this one but it was eerie anyway.

The other night, I was at home working on a project for someone when I began to smell a very faint scent that was familiar but I couldn't figure out where I knew it from.  A little while later, I suddenly realized that it was the perfume that belonged to a friend of mine - the same person the project was for.  She hadn't been over in a long while, so I am certain it wasn't something that just lingered.  And as soon as I finished the project, the scent vanished.

I've hallucinated bacon.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #2330 on: June 21, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »

I've hallucinated bacon.

LOL!  I think I'd be pretty mad if I smelled bacon and it was all in my head.  What a let down!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2331 on: June 21, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Back in college, I was doing an internship, close to where my grandmother lived, so I was staying with her M-F, and walking to my internship. She lived in an old Victorian house, that had been converted to a 2-family, and she was on the second floor. Just before you went into the room I was staying in, was a door, with steps leading to the third floor. Which was kind of creepy as it had some under the eaves attic storage, but also several bedrooms which were full of “stuff” I always felt a bit uneasy as the upstairs was kind of scary.  So one night, I’m literally just about to fall asleep, when I felt like I heard something make a loud noise in my ear, almost shouting, and for some reason, whatever it was, I felt had come from the third floor. So I woke up, kind of shaking, but all was silent. Took me quite a while to settle back down and fall back to sleep

Sounds like Exploding Head Syndrome - a loud auditory hallucination when you're falling asleep. I've had those. Also, I just love that there's a thing called Exploding Head Syndrome.

Sometimes I hear my mother loudly yell my name in a panicked voice.  When I run to her, she's sleeping or calmly doing something else.  Maybe it's a form of Exploding Head Syndrome.  Good to know there's an explanation.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #2332 on: June 21, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »

I've hallucinated bacon.

Better bacon than skunk.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2333 on: June 21, 2013, 06:52:50 PM »
Here's something odd that's happened for about the last two years. Mom will be on her computer, a wave of perfume smell will randomly go past and she'll ask me "Do you smell perfume ? Where is that coming from ?" It really does feel like someone walked by and we're catching a whiff of their perfume. And both of us have noticed / felt the scent, so it's not her imagining something by herself. The perfume smells like my paternal grandmother's favorite. Which is odd, because she was killed in VA long before my parents bought their house in Florida. My parents and I are allergic to perfume & body sprays, so the smell isn't coming off us. None of my grandmother's belongings that sit out smell of perfume either.   

cwm

« Reply #2334 on: June 24, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
I've had phantom smells most of my life. Sometimes I'll catch a whiff of something very specific (the extremely expensive specialty detergent that my friend's mom used in middle school), and sometimes it's pretty general (bacon, floral smells). Sometimes other people can smell it too, which is kind of weird.

There was one day at my last job where I was walking between the feront door and the area I worked, I had just let a customer out (our area opened before the rest of the store). I had to pull someone else over to validate what I was smelling. There was about a two foot square area that smelled, inexplicably, like hardboiled eggs. There was NO reason for it, it hadn't smelled like that five minutes beforehand when I walked the last customer out, and it was ONLY in that tiny area.

I've also had pipe smoke follow me around. Specifically, chocolate flavoted tobacco as smoked through a pipe. The only person I've ever met who smokes a pipe is still alive and well, and not really stalking me, and this happens in places where smoking isn't allowed and I'd be able to see if someone was smoking a pipe near me. It's a very specific type of flavored tobacco, too, so I just don't get it.

BarensMom

« Reply #2335 on: June 24, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Finally, I have a story:

I attended my great niece's graduation a few weeks ago.  They live in a very small town that has one motel and that was booked solid.  Fortunately, my niece was housesitting for her neighbors, who graciously allowed me to stay at their house.  It's a lovely two-story log house, and I was supposed to stay in their guest room, with my great-nephew keeping me company, as the place is very secluded (up a dirt road, 1/2 mile away from niece's house).

Unfortunately, I'm an insomniac, so I let my great-nephew sleep in the bedroom and I bunked on the recliner (my usual M.O.).  I finally fell asleep around 1:30 a.m., then was awakened at 3:30 by a scratching noise.  I looked down at their dogs (came with the house) and no response.  I turned and looked out the window to see two disembodied glowing yellow eyes.  Turns out it was the family's black cat wanting inside the house.  I let it in and, to reward me, the durn thing woke me up again at 5:30-6 to be let out.

(Edited to get my facts straight)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:22:06 PM by BarensMom »

cwm

« Reply #2336 on: June 24, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
Also, apparently I have something in my aura that hates windshields.

I'm currently on the 6th car I've ever owned. Not bad, considering. Every single one of my previous five cars had a crack in the passenger side of the windshield. Some of the cars came with it, but mostly they just appeared one day. I don't remember ever being there when the crack was actually CAUSED.

Fast forward to my current car, perfect unblemished windshield. Until last Friday. Was driving to boyfriend's house and heard a very large CRACK. It was a rock. Hitting my windshield. In the exact same place that EVERY SINGLE other windshield has started cracking. There's actually a chip missing on the outside. Cue hysterical cwm when she arrives at BF's house, and his confusion because I kept ranting on about how I broke windshields by owning the car.

If it was a case of one or two cars, okay, I can see coincidence. But every single one I've owned in the same place? No longer coincidence. Not sure WHAT, but more than mildly disappointing. I'm wondering if scolding my aura would help or make things worse. :(

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #2337 on: June 24, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
Phantom smells are one of the lesser common apparitions, but they aren't unknown.  It's only happened to me once.

We had to put our dog to sleep (liver cancer) and about a week later, I was in the master bathroom when I smelled an overpowering scent of dog.  Tasha went in that room maybe 4 times in 13 years, and never willingly.  (Probably because the terror that is B-A-T-H happened there.)  So it couldn't have been a lingering odor from a customary place.  I believe that she came back to tell us that she was OK, and did it in a way that made sense to a dog.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Browyn

« Reply #2338 on: June 24, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »

I'm currently on the 6th car I've ever owned. Not bad, considering. Every single one of my previous five cars had a crack in the passenger side of the windshield. Some of the cars came with it, but mostly they just appeared one day. I don't remember ever being there when the crack was actually CAUSED.

Fast forward to my current car, perfect unblemished windshield. Until last Friday. Was driving to boyfriend's house and heard a very large CRACK. It was a rock. Hitting my windshield. In the exact same place that EVERY SINGLE other windshield has started cracking. There's actually a chip missing on the outside. Cue hysterical cwm when she arrives at BF's house, and his confusion because I kept ranting on about how I broke windshields by owning the car.

If it was a case of one or two cars, okay, I can see coincidence. But every single one I've owned in the same place? No longer coincidence. Not sure WHAT, but more than mildly disappointing. I'm wondering if scolding my aura would help or make things worse. :(

Is it possible that there is a lot of gravel in the gutter of your usual routes and that a stone is being kicked up by the car in front of you?  You might want to check your drivin habits - if you tend to follow too close you are more at risk of stones.

cwm

« Reply #2339 on: June 24, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »

Is it possible that there is a lot of gravel in the gutter of your usual routes and that a stone is being kicked up by the car in front of you?  You might want to check your drivin habits - if you tend to follow too close you are more at risk of stones.

I don't drive where there's a lot of gravel. This one, best I can figure, was from a truck two lanes over in front of me that somehow managed to bounce across the two lanes of traffic and hit the FAR side of my car, but the 6 cars I've had this happen to have been spread across over a decade (and my driving habits have changed a lot) and several cities.

Even my first car, the crack was spreading while I had the car, but when I went to college and my sister inherited the car, it stopped spreading. She didn't do anything differently, aside from not being me.