Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 328832 times)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2430 on: October 04, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
This morning I could not find my watch.  I was SURE I had left it in the bathroom last night when I took it off to shower.  I lookked high and low and could not find it.  Finally I said out loud, "I really need my watch back, please."

After a couple minutes, when I was standing in the kitchen putting together my coffee in my travel cup, my watch bounced off the back of my head onto the floor.  Anthony was out on the front porch having a cigarette.  No other people live in the house.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2431 on: October 04, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »
I was trying to find this thread earlier today. 

So, when I drive around with my youngest, I tend to keep the visor down and I'll open up the vanity window so I can keep an eye on him from time to time, see what he's doing, has he fallen asleep, etc. 

Well today he was just quietly looking out the window watching the world go by and then suddenly he looks above his head at the ceiling of our van and says "HI!" while waving (he's 23 months, fwiw).  Then he giggled, said hi and waved again at the same spot.

Once at a town event a woman with a rain stick approached me and said "He's a very special child, isn't he? He can see things.." and she gave me a very knowing look.  I dumbly nodded cause I was just kind of surprised to hear this from a complete stranger.  It didn't bother me at all, just surprised me! And well today's little bit of him being friendly to someone I couldn't see just confirmed that!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #2432 on: October 15, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, maybe three weeks even, I managed to misplace a gold earring. It's a pair I don't wear often, but has meaning to me because I bought in an artisan's market in Merida, Mexico. At the time I realized it was missing, I looked all over the bedroom where the jewellery armoire is, but couldn't find it. A couple of weeks later, after wasting time spending many enjoyable hours reading this thread, I went to my bedroom and said, "I really would appreciate it if I could find that small matte gold hoop earring, please."  A few days later, I moved something on the dresser in the spare room and there was the earring!
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2433 on: October 18, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
Surely, someone has some nice Halloween-y ghost stories? Please? ;D

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2434 on: October 18, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
OK, I'll tell you my Port Arthur tales.

For those that don't know, Tasmania, then Van Diemen's Land, was originally settled by the British as part of the Australian penal colony.  Shiploads of convicts were shipped out to Australia, then allocated to free settlers as indentured servants until their time was up.

Recidivist convicts, those that reoffended while transported, were sent to prison where conditions were much harder.  The original recidivist settlement in Tasmania was at Sarah Island, over on the west coast.  After it was disbanded, the prison at Port Arthur was established.

Conditions here were very bad.  The prisoners had to build their own prison, and there were murders, illness and insanity. 

Now, 200 years later, much of the Port Arthur settlement still stands.  It has, for many years, been rumoured to be haunted.  GHI even did an episode here a couple of years back.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJkXECwah8s

Port Arthur gained even more notoriety some years ago when there was a mass shooting there, and 35 people lost their lives.  This has cast a pall over the locals there to this day, many of the dead being their friends or family who worked at the site.

Now, I can't vouch for the GHI folk, but I do know what has happened to me and others while at the site.

The site runs multiple nightly ghost tours, and the occasional actual ghost hunt, which I haven't done yet.  I've been on the ghost tour twice.

The first time, we (large group) were standing outside the Surgeon's house.  In the cellar, he used to conduct autopsies and dissections on prisoners who had died.  The slab is still there.  Before we went down the stairs, I could smell a very nasty smell - sort of chemical mixed with rotten meat.  Several other people could smell it as well.  After we went downstairs, the tour guide mentioned that the activity there was normally olfactory - people with medical backgrounds could smell the formaldehyde the surgeon had used - they even had people complaining about them using dangerous chemicals as props.  They don't use any props at all.  Now, the strange thing here is that all of us that smelled the nasty smell were nurses or ex-nurses.  I worked in OR for over 20 years, and used formaldehyde every day, but I'm one of the fairly large percentage that can't smell it, so I had no idea what it smelled like.  Well, I do now!

On another occasion, during a daytime visit, Housemate went up the stairs to the chapel in the Separate Prison (which is a very unpleasant place to be after dark, and not nice during the daylight either!)  I was down at the base of the steps.  She tells me she was nudged from behind, and thought it was me pranking her.  So she turned around, to see me miles away from her.  I didn't see anyone near her either. 

For me, the worst place at the site is the little wooden church, which has no paranormal activity attached to it at all.  As soon as I walked in, I felt like I had to leave, now!!  And whatever was there wasn't interested in visitors.

The whole site has an atmosphere of being watched.

There is a wall of photos taken at the site near the front entrance - some of them are quite freaky.  I've taken many orb shots there, but the staff say they're so common they don't even bother with them any more.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2435 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »
Many years ago, I worked at 'State Lunatic Asylum #2'...that is, that was its original legal name before it was given a more enlightened name. The original building was still standing at that time, but used for administrative purposes and storage. There was a common style of architecture in these old hospitals- the central core of the hospital housed staff apartments, with the wards coming off perpendicular to the core. As the hospital was added onto, the back wards were attached to the end of the front wards, in a dog-leg conformation. Now, with your own apartment being in the core, where would you assign the loudest, most disturbed patients? On the back wards, of course.
While I worked there, the front wards were in use, but most of the back wards were being used as storage (with the back-back wards having been demolished earlier). One front ward was used for staff development training. The old day room was the training room, and if you got one of the chairs to the sides or at the back of the room, you had to carefully watch your chair legs, because there were deep groves in the floor. Grooves worn there by rocking chairs. Decades of patients sitting in rocking chairs, passively rocking away, because there was nothing else to do.
One day, we took a break, and someone suggested that we go back on the back ward, which had not been changed since the day the patients were moved out. The padded room was still there. I went in, and I cannot fully describe the feeling of that room. There was an overwhelming sense of despair. There is no one on this planet that I would trust enough to shut that door behind me. Part of that was the rational idea that probably the key was long-since lost. It was all I could do to walk across the room and touch the back wall. I wonder how much of the 'psychotic' behavior in those rooms was simply due to the spirit impressions left by other occupants.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2436 on: October 22, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
Been in my  current residence a couple of years now.  We got it because it had a good, positive vibe as I can be sensitive to "bad or odd" vibes.  Anyway, just recently, out of the corner of my eye, I see a child laughing.  Just randomly "there."  Either running somewhere or jumping or just "there" being a kid. 

It doesn't give me a bad vibe or anything but it's just off, somehow. 

Dazi...any ideas?

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2437 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
Been in my  current residence a couple of years now.  We got it because it had a good, positive vibe as I can be sensitive to "bad or odd" vibes.  Anyway, just recently, out of the corner of my eye, I see a child laughing.  Just randomly "there."  Either running somewhere or jumping or just "there" being a kid. 

It doesn't give me a bad vibe or anything but it's just off, somehow. 

Dazi...any ideas?

You could being seeing a memory, kind of like a tape recording.  Not really there just a visual.  The other option is just a random visitor passing through or someone liked you and followed you home.  Some people occasionally get those.  It's not anything that would concern me unless you are getting nasty vibes.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

SCMagnolia

« Reply #2438 on: October 23, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
My cousin's house is haunted.   There are countless instances of things happening that are just not explainable any other way.

When her son was little, he walked out to the kitchen to tell her to "please tell that man to stop bothering me."  She asked what man that would be and he told her "the old man in the living room.  He's back and he's bothering me.  Tell him to stop it."

There was no man in the living room.

There are instances when her husband goes to reserves for the weekend that she hears footsteps coming up the stairs and walking down the hall at night.  At first, she thought it was her husband coming home early from reserves, but he never came into the room.   This has happened almost every single reserve weekend, so she thinks their resident ghostie knows the man of the house isn't around and is checking in on the kids and keeping an eye on things.  She claims it's not really scary, and is in fact rather comforting, but that would freak me way the heck out!

While her oldest son was in the shower, the curtain kept pushing in at him.  He thought his brother was messing with him.  His brother wasn't in the house at the time.   Her sons were playing around with a tape recorder and told her their sister kept messing up their tape.   There were very distinct sounds of a child laughing when they played the tape back, but it wasn't her daughter.  Her daughter had been in the kitchen with her the entire time.   Things have gotten moved, doors and windows have opened or closed, and once her husband saw an old man in overalls standing at their back door.  They live in the farmhouse at what was once the original farm of the family her town is named for.  When her husband went to the door, the old man was gone and he couldn't have gone far enough in those few seconds to be completely out of sight.  They think he was the old farmer, checking on the place.  The creepiest to me was one night she was on the phone with me and said "I wish those kids would find another dingdangity radio station.  They keep playing Hank Williams and his voice is like nails on a blackboard to me."  I told her Hank Williams doesn't get played on any radio station I've ever heard of (and I've spent a lot of time working in radio in the past), and said maybe it was a CD or on television.  She said no, she heard what sounded like the station ID playing and someone talking in between songs.  She went to investigate and called me back to say the kids were not playing the radio and were watching something on TV that definitely did not have any kind of singing going on.  She's heard the "radio" playing several times since then, the same old twangy country songs that don't get any kind of airplay anymore.  I told her to try to hear what the call letters are -- it would be so interesting to find out what the station was!

My sister has had weird things happen in her house -- TV's and radios coming on, her hair dryer coming on while she was on the phone with my mom and nobody else was in the house.  Her dog will sit up suddenly and stare at a corner of the room and growl constantly and then jump and run away like something came after her.  One night, when Sissy was sleeping, she said she felt like she had been shaken awake and said she very clearly heard someone say "I have to go now."  She swears she was wide awake when she heard it and for awhile after that, all the shenanigans quit.  Lately, though, the dog has been acting funny, so Sissy thinks her ghostie came back.

I have a friend who does paranormal investigations.  He's told me some stories that have made me sleep with the lights on.  He keeps asking me to go on ghost hunts, but there are just some things in this world (or not of this world) that just ought not be messed with.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2439 on: October 25, 2013, 12:44:55 AM »
Can you share some of your friend's stories?
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

unnalee

« Reply #2440 on: October 25, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »
This is one of the most fascinating  threads!  I always do a little internal happy dance when I see there's been a new post.

I've never had a story to contribute, but lately I'm starting to wonder if that's untrue.

We bought our first house this summer and have been living there uneventfully for over three months now.  It was built in 1901.  I even gently asked the sellers before we signed if they had ever experienced anything strange in the house.  Nada.

I also started a new job just over a year ago.  I work in an old building, often by myself.  It used to be a church, it is now archive/museum/gallery space.  Never had anything odd happen, even though I'm here sometimes at all hours.

In the last few weeks, I keep catching glimpses of things out of the corner of my eyes, both at home and work.  There's no pattern to it, nothing that makes it seem like a single entity following me or anything.  Sometimes I even wonder to myself if it's just my pregnancy messing with my eyes (both of my previous pregnancies changed my eyeglass prescriptions).  It just feels different. 

SCMagnolia

« Reply #2441 on: October 25, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
There is an abandoned church and cemetary where my friend has taken groups on ghost hunts.  The "church" itself is very strange -- barred windows and huge, heavy hinges on the OUTSIDE of the doors, as if instead of welcoming people as most churches do, they were trying to keep what was inside from getting out.  On one trip, his brother said it felt like something was burning on his back and when he raised his shirt, everyone in the group saw a red line like a scratch mark being made down his back.  They asked where he had the burning feeling and it was where the scratch was being made.  A few minutes later, the mark disappeared.   Another girl on the hunt was constantly having her hair pulled and felt a burning sensation where the cross pendant on her necklace was laying against her skin.  She had a cross-shaped red mark at that spot that also disappeared shortly afterwards. 

When they were investigating the church, a piece of metal flew across the room at one of the guys in the group.  It stopped and dropped to the ground right in front of him and when they picked it up, it felt really hot. 

They've done investigations in the winter and saw graves circled by footprints in the snow, but no other footprints were in the snow leading to the graves.  They also have tons of pictures of orbs, streaks of light, and fog or smoke-like wisps even though there was no fog and no possible reason for smoke.  The last time they were there, a black dog was laying in front of the church door and growled at them when they approached.  They stopped and watched the dog get up and walk around the corner of the church.  They followed it, and when they rounded the corner, the dog was gone.  The church sits in a big, open area with nowhere for the dog to hide or run to without anyone noticing it.  The same night, my friend's camera quit working, and wouldn't come on even after he replaced the batteries.  As soon as they got back in the car, it came on by itself. 

There is another place near the church where years and years ago, a man supposedly went crazy and burned his house to the ground with his wife inside.  They've done investigations there and have smelled something burning, even though they were miles from any other houses that could have been burning leaves or trash. They've also heard something walking through the woods.  They passed that off as a deer until my friend realized the sounds were on pace with them and stopped when they did.  A deer or other animal would run away.  One one investigation here, small muddy handprints were found on my friend's car when they were ready to leave.  There were no children in the group, and he is known for being absolutely meticulous about keeping his car clean.  One person in the group kept hearing a child's voice, but nobody else noticed it.   

My friend's niece passed away when she was 5.  He has another niece born several years after the first niece's death and she tells her mother all the time that she's playing with the little girl in her room.  My friend set up a camera to take pictures at regular intervals and one of the pictures shows his niece sitting on the floor playing with a doll while another girl stands right beside her with her back to the camera.  The little girl is wearing a flowered nightgown that my friend's sister recognized instantly as her daughter's favorite.  A lady from her church used the fabric from the nightgown to make a teddy bear for her after the little girl died.

My friend did an overnight investigation at the Moundsville Penitentiary a few months back.  They have voice recordings of someone saying "Get out" and "stop" and they heard loud banging and slamming noises.  They didn't get anything on any of the pictures they took, but a few others that were on the investigation said they felt something pushing them as they were walking down one hallway.  At one point they all heard some very loud screams and then silence.  The Penitentiary opens for tours around Halloween and a lot of people that have gone on these tours have mentioned similar weird occurances, especially the banging noises and the feeling of being pushed.  It's supposed to be one of the most haunted places around here.

I admit, I'd like to experience some of this stuff for myself, but I'm way too chicken! 

cwm

« Reply #2442 on: October 25, 2013, 11:17:46 AM »
This is why if I ever go on a ghost investigation, I'm taking both cameras, the 35mm and the DSLR. 35mm has batteries for the light meter, but if that goes out I'll survive. Besides, I know I'll be taking pictures in the dark without a flash, or with a flashlight to light the way, it's not like the light meter is really going to make a huge difference. If the batteries go, I can still get photos. If the battery goes on the DLSR and that's my only camera, I'm hosed.

GoTwins

« Reply #2443 on: October 25, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »
This is why if I ever go on a ghost investigation, I'm taking both cameras, the 35mm and the DSLR. 35mm has batteries for the light meter, but if that goes out I'll survive. Besides, I know I'll be taking pictures in the dark without a flash, or with a flashlight to light the way, it's not like the light meter is really going to make a huge difference. If the batteries go, I can still get photos. If the battery goes on the DLSR and that's my only camera, I'm hosed.
If I ever go on a ghost investigation, I'm taking along an extra pair of pants!  ;D
I used to work in one of the old Pillsbury mansions in Minneapolis and things would occasionally happen. If I have some time this weekend, I'll post the list.

workingmum

« Reply #2444 on: October 25, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
Ok - I moved into an old federation house earlier this year. It was built in 1876. It is largely unrenovated, though the fireplaces (one in every room) have all been closed off.

I haven't felt anything in the house - and I assumed that if there was something here, I would have. Saying that though - the loungeroom is at least 15 degrees colder than the rest of the house, to the point of it being  lovely sunny day outside, and you have to have the heater on in that room. I also have a pic I took before moving in. I very nearly cancelled my lease. I will pm it to anyone who wants to see, it's just that my house is very iconic in the town I live in and anyone who saw the pic would know who I am.

Funnily enough, while i was a bit spooked for the first few weeks, this house now feels like home and DD and I are both very comfortable here. Though, this morning DD says she can't her shirt that was on her bed last night. I fully expect to find it in one of her "piles o crap"  ;)
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge