Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 403076 times)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2565 on: July 09, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »
Where I live, I believe that a listing agent has to disclose that kind of thing if a potential buyer/tenant asks, because that can legitimately be a deal-breaker for some people.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2566 on: July 09, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
Where I live, I believe that a listing agent has to disclose that kind of thing if a potential buyer/tenant asks, because that can legitimately be a deal-breaker for some people.
In the 11 different apartments/houses that I've rented/owned, I can safely say that I've never thought to ask "Has there ever been a mass murder in this unit?"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Dr. F.

« Reply #2567 on: July 09, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
In the 11 different apartments/houses that I've rented/owned, I can safely say that I've never thought to ask "Has there ever been a mass murder in this unit?"

In California, they must disclose if someone has died in the house, at least when buying. I assume that only deals with the most recent owner/family, as it could get kinda insane if that meant *forever*.

I know this because when I was house-hunting in SoCal, the real estate agent had to disclose that the previous owner, an elderly lady, had died in the house. The agent told me that it was because some Asian communities considered a death on the premises to be bad luck. I have no clue how accurate that may or may not be. I didn't end up buying the place, not for that reason, but because the kitchen and backyard were both too small.

menley

« Reply #2568 on: July 10, 2014, 07:41:17 AM »
In Texas, you must be told if there was a murder or violent crime, but not a death or suicide.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2569 on: July 10, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »
I may have mentioned that in our old apartment (built in the 1980's or so), we had the ghost of a young girl.  We heard her voice or had little pranks more often than a sighting, but all of us had seen a girl about 8 dressed in late 19th century clothes with long blond hair.  We called her "Elise", and she seemed just a playful presence rather  than malicious. 

When we recently moved, I actually felt sorry for the ghost and invited her to follow us  ::).  Which she has.  She has appeared mostly in my daughter's room, but I have "felt" her.  My son was heading for the bathroom one morning when he felt three taps on his shoulder.  There was absolutely no one there, nor any cat.

Kaymyth

« Reply #2570 on: July 10, 2014, 04:02:47 PM »
I may have mentioned that in our old apartment (built in the 1980's or so), we had the ghost of a young girl.  We heard her voice or had little pranks more often than a sighting, but all of us had seen a girl about 8 dressed in late 19th century clothes with long blond hair.  We called her "Elise", and she seemed just a playful presence rather  than malicious. 

When we recently moved, I actually felt sorry for the ghost and invited her to follow us  ::).  Which she has.  She has appeared mostly in my daughter's room, but I have "felt" her.  My son was heading for the bathroom one morning when he felt three taps on his shoulder.  There was absolutely no one there, nor any cat.

Awww.  She likes you. :)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2571 on: July 10, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
Ghosts following homeowners reminds me of something (I may have told this before, I don't remember). Anyway, we strongly believe our old house was haunted. We named the ghost Paul. At the same time, we also keep receiving telephone calls throughout the years living there, but no voice was on the line. The was before Caller ID and for some reason, we just know it wasn't telemarketers. We didn't think the two issues were connected.

Fast forward to moving into a new housing development and all the land-line telephone numbers were supposedly created brand new for the homes. After we lived there a few days, our phone rang and there was no voice on the line. We all looked at each other like "Is that the same person? How did they get our new number?" After a while, the phone rang again and a guy ask "Is Paul there?" :o I said "no, you must have the wrong number." We never got voiceless phone calls again (except for obvious telemarketers who make electronic clicking sounds or start speaking after a few seconds).

It may just be a coincidence, but we thought it was both creepy and funny.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2572 on: July 21, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »

That story comes from a reddit subforum called "no sleep" where people post believable fiction,  and part of the rules is that all readers must act as if it were true and treat it as such in the comments. "Everything is true, even if it's not" This one must be very successful at being believable because it's beening passed around on several ghost and hauntings forums.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/29kd1x/my_dead_girlfriend_keeps_messaging_me_on_facebook/

And there went my afternoon...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #2573 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »
Not a ghost story, but so weird it kind of seems like one:

Yesterday, my wife and I were driving back home. 

About an hour and a half away from our house we came upon a green 1960s VW van.  It was a nice deep pine green with a white roof. It was from British Columbia, had a Rat Fink sticker on the driver's side back window and had in the back window a phrase something like  "Slow is the only speed I know".

The road in that area is very mountainous and there are not many passing areas.  The van was going 10 miles an hour below the speed limit.  A number of people behind us started passing, even though it was a no passing zone.  So the van pulled of the road and let people by. 

An of driving and no stops later we crossed a bridge and in the distance ahead of us on the road I noticed a 1960s VW van.  I made the comment that it would be funny if that were the same VW van and started telling my wife about an episode of the old Northern Exposure TV show where a running joke in one episode was a guy that would always appear ahead of you even if you had just left him behind you.  And then my wife said; "It's the same van."

And it was.  Rat Fink sticker, white lettered window phrase about slow is the only speed I know.  Same green paint with a white roof.  From British Columbia.  Same 10 miles below the speed limit.

And I have been looking on every road map I could find trying to find some road that would put them ahead of us and I can't find one.

Eeep!

« Reply #2574 on: August 14, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
Not a ghost story, but so weird it kind of seems like one:

Yesterday, my wife and I were driving back home. 

About an hour and a half away from our house we came upon a green 1960s VW van.  It was a nice deep pine green with a white roof. It was from British Columbia, had a Rat Fink sticker on the driver's side back window and had in the back window a phrase something like  "Slow is the only speed I know".

The road in that area is very mountainous and there are not many passing areas.  The van was going 10 miles an hour below the speed limit.  A number of people behind us started passing, even though it was a no passing zone.  So the van pulled of the road and let people by. 

An of driving and no stops later we crossed a bridge and in the distance ahead of us on the road I noticed a 1960s VW van.  I made the comment that it would be funny if that were the same VW van and started telling my wife about an episode of the old Northern Exposure TV show where a running joke in one episode was a guy that would always appear ahead of you even if you had just left him behind you.  And then my wife said; "It's the same van."

And it was.  Rat Fink sticker, white lettered window phrase about slow is the only speed I know.  Same green paint with a white roof.  From British Columbia.  Same 10 miles below the speed limit.

And I have been looking on every road map I could find trying to find some road that would put them ahead of us and I can't find one.

Did you check your map of the Twilight Zone?  >:D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2575 on: August 14, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
That's pretty creepy. I would wonder if it's a phantom car forever driving the route where *something* happened to them in the 60's.

mlogica

« Reply #2576 on: August 14, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »

My first guess would be that the van took a shortcut on a logging road, or similar "unofficial" road.  My ex and I once got lost in a mountainous region near the Oregon coast, following what we thought was a secondary highway but turned out to be a logging road.  It wasn't on our map, and neither were the other roads that intersected with it.  But these roads weren't overgrown or in disrepair, so clearly some vehicles were using them on a regular basis.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2577 on: August 14, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »

My first guess would be that the van took a shortcut on a logging road, or similar "unofficial" road.  My ex and I once got lost in a mountainous region near the Oregon coast, following what we thought was a secondary highway but turned out to be a logging road.  It wasn't on our map, and neither were the other roads that intersected with it.  But these roads weren't overgrown or in disrepair, so clearly some vehicles were using them on a regular basis.
Just don't try to follow such roads in winter or when bad winter weather is forecast, even if the GPS tells you that it's shorter than the main road.  People get dead that way.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2578 on: August 14, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »

Just don't try to follow such roads in winter or when bad winter weather is forecast, even if the GPS tells you that it's shorter than the main road.  People get dead that way.

The other issue with logging roads is (surprise!), there are logging trucks on them.  Those boys can't slow down quickly.  If you meet up with one, you're ditching your car or becoming a pancake.  They are nice about it, though.  They watch in the rearview mirror and if you are stuck, they'll back up and pull you out. 

I used to work in a mostly water access only Provincial Park but there were logging roads all over it and, as employees, we were allowed to use them.  My brother worked in the same park, met a logging truck, quickly assessed the side of the road and used the 4-wheel drive truck to drive off the road, through the trees and back up onto the road.  He saw the logging truck driver tap his brakes but the driver was quite happy to continue on, rather than having to pull him out.  Brother's passenger that day was driving himself on a logging road a few days later.  He tried the same maneuver and hit a tree.  There was a big meeting about it the next day where he was dressed down for wrecking a truck.  'But [brother's name] did it!'  To which my brother replied, 'Yeah, but [brother's name] picked a route!'
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

dorada

« Reply #2579 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
I've only just joined etiquette hell, though I've lurked forever! But I read the entire 172 pages  :P so now I can add one of my own. I have plenty of stories of things I... can't explain. Not always scary, but strange. I'll start with a simple one.

I live in a different country to the one I grew up in. My mother is still back home in old country.

A few months ago I woke up one morning, sat up in bed as usual, rubbed my eyes, and said to my husband that I was so glad I could see, that it must be awful to be blind and  in darkness all the time and I was so glad to have my sight. I said it several times. It's not the first time I've been glad to see, but never this much. I was actually elated! What it felt like was that, perhaps I had come out of a dream where I had no sight, and on waking, you know how you get that rush of joy when you realize a bad dream was just that? It felt like something had been taken from me, and given back. I was happy.

So my husband didn't say much, just wondered at my enthusiasm for a moment, then moved on.

About an hour later I called my mother and was telling her this little event- again, it was an odd thing that I even brought it up with her.

She asked me what time I woke up.
I said it was about such and such a time, and she told me that at that exact time, she'd been doing her chores in the big city (several hours' time zone difference) and had stopped her car at a crosswalk to let a blind man walk in front of her. As he was crossing, she felt very sad for him, and thought he was very brave to be crossing a busy city street. She thought of telling me that later.

So, I don't know if that whole thing meant anything, but given some of the other things that have connected us, I suspect it was not a coincidence.